Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donjebruche Adventure I: After Action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Donjebruche Adventure I: After Action Reply with quote

Okay folks...

What did you like the best...?

What worked for you...?

What didn't work...?

What gaming itch *didn't* get scratched...?

Please put your feedback here or else pm me if you don't want to embarrass me too much...!
paul
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the game and really didn't have any issues with your GMing. I like the episodic setup of the game. If there are issues with something you do while gming I woudl bring it up right away.

Good job and look forward to more adventures with MArcus and the gang when youa re ready.
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paul.

I felt what you ran us through, how long it took, and general over all went very well for this format.
Skexis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pm'ed you my accolades. I agree with the others.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah.... That sounds like mostly positive feedback. Whoof.

Here's the basic deal that I ran:

1) I imagined what I thought was happening... then let you guys go into it. If you did something I thought was weird, I wouldn't just automatically fix things to make a nice tidy sub plot for you no matter what you did. (For instance... in the desert when Skexis and Captain Jack ran off... that basically meant those two were temporily out of the scenario because there was no way they could get to the riding lizards in time to do anything.)

2) #1 wasn't always an option when you guys went off in some random direction as a group, though. If you seemed lost... I did what a novelist would do... and introduce new scenes/events/characters to give you more information. Sometimes the plot would just take care of itself based on upcoming scenes.

3) I tried to allow for a range of success in each major act. You guys didn't score 100% on every single Act... but time moves on anyway sometimes. This meant you didn't always know every single clue or have every possible asset.

4) Combat was real. You could actually get hurt here. I did do this "by the book". Death was a possibility. I must have fudged the hospitilization and recovery rules during Act One, but it was so early in the game, time was not as much of an issue, and you were in town... so maybe a handwave here is still fair. (Also... I was activelt playing against Marcus with the desert fight. He and Fred and Skexis beat me fair and square. The adventure *could* have ended right there, though...!)

5) Skill and attribute checks were all public-- mainly so you could collectively learn the rules and (more importantly) develop better tactics over time based on the rules. I mainly used these so that actions by each character would play out differently depending on who did it. If you spent more points on something that everyone else, it should actually matter in the plot.

6) If a die roll seemed unnecessary or if a scene was dragging along, I always allowed myself the option to just say "it worked."

7) Each act was more-or-less self contained. If I was lost/bored/frustrated (or if things were just plain "done"), I would simply move to a new scene. This principle was applied at both the "act" level and (now) the "adventure" level.

8) I tried to avoid going meta too much-- but rather... I tried to give you options in game and then let that tell me everything I needed to know about what kind of game you wanted.
paul
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffr0 wrote:
4) Combat was real. You could actually get hurt here. I did do this "by the book". Death was a possibility. I must have fudged the hospitilization and recovery rules during Act One, but it was so early in the game, time was not as much of an issue, and you were in town... so maybe a handwave here is still fair. (Also... I was activelt playing against Marcus with the desert fight. He and Fred and Skexis beat me fair and square. The adventure *could* have ended right there, though...!)
Stoopid Dice! I liked how it ended up anyways. More epic in nature...Although I would've have been statified with smashin her face in or stunning the crap out of her....he is 0 and 2 with her still. A fact that does not sit well with him.. .expect a crabbier and less friendly Marcus in further adventures. Laughing
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say...

It is really weird being the GM.

When I was a kid, we rarely played rpg's because it was so danged hard to find a GM... and the few times I tried, I bombed terribly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: