Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Rule: Mines in FC - Explosion Trigger?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the chance thing, I think there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
1) You need to allow a minesweeper to get next to a mine with a 1 in 6 chance of triggering the mine.
2) You need to keep the chances high enough to discourage others.

In SFB, a 'minesweeper' gets his chances to not trigger the mine adjusted by 2. So, you could make the normal chance 1-3, which makes the minesweeper be 1. Or, you could make the normal chance 1-4 and just improve the minesweeper adjustment to 3 instead. I don't know which is better, but I do think the adjusted number for a minesweeper needs to be '1' (out of 6).

Sweeping becomes a slow process in FC because you have to tractor, then shoot it. So, you have to move adjacent to it and tractor it on one impulse, then you can try to shoot it the next impulse. That slows things down pretty nicely, and should work out well enough on its own.

Just some thoughts for you to chew on ... Very Happy

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Blammo
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In SFB, a 'minesweeper' gets his chances to not trigger the mine adjusted by 2. So, you could make the normal chance 1-3, which makes the minesweeper be 1. Or, you could make the normal chance 1-4 and just improve the minesweeper adjustment to 3 instead. I don't know which is better, but I do think the adjusted number for a minesweeper needs to be '1' (out of 6).

Yeah, I agree that if you are using flat die rolls a 1-3 is better with an adjust of 2 for minesweepers. This maintains the minimum chance of 1 in 6 to set off the mine.

Quote:
Sweeping becomes a slow process in FC because you have to tractor, then shoot it. So, you have to move adjacent to it and tractor it on one impulse, then you can try to shoot it the next impulse. That slows things down pretty nicely, and should work out well enough on its own.

Unless, for the sake of simplification, you just eliminate the tractoring part Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: