Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asteroids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Asteroids Reply with quote

Some questions that came up today that we couldn't find answers to, even having a quick search in the forum mid-game.

1) Do drones that are launched in an asteroid hex take damage at point of launch. We went with they did take the damage roll on a 2:1 vote, on the basis that they 'enter' the asteroid hex at the point of launch. Otheriwse it felt a bit nasty that someone could be sat on the edge of an asteroid field launching drones out that never get affected whilst the ship can claim the +1 modifier for being in them.

2) Do asteroids interfer with transporters in any way, it feels odd that they can knacker weapon fire but there seems to be nothing preventing transporting through up to 5 hexes of asteroids that we could see.

3) On a related note to the above question (it happend at the same time), does the presence or other wise of enemy boarding parties prevent self destruction - I pulled off the classic Trek scene of Emergency Evacuating my ship as the Klingons transported on board en-masee, then self destructed. Very Trek, but also an apparent free get out of being captured tactic. Did I miss anything?
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Asteroids Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:

1) Do drones that are launched in an asteroid hex take damage at point of launch........

2) Do asteroids interfer with transporters in any way......

3) .....does the presence or other wise of enemy boarding parties prevent self destruction......

Here is how I have played (pending Mike West's official ruling, of course).

1. The drone would *not* take damage. The example in the rulebook specifically says that if a drone enters an asteroid hex of it's target, it would hit the target before it takes damage. We've extrapolated to have this apply to a launch in that same hex as well. Also, the rules are specific to mention that units (ships, drones, etc.) take damage when *entering* an asteroid hex, so a unit in an asteroid hex that leaves and enters open space doesn't take damage.

2. There is no mention of asteroids affecting transporters or tractor beams, so no.

3. Not sure, but I would guess this would be legal. Smile

Note that the above are my interpretations of the rules.

Garrett
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett's answers are correct.

1. Launch does not count as "entering" an asteroid (or any other) hex unless specifically stated as such.

2. No, asteroids do not affect transporters or tractors.

3. No, the presence or absence of enemy boarding parties does not affect the success or failure of self-destruction. In fact, there is no way to stop once declared. Do note, however, that before you can self-destruct your ship, must first evacuate your crew. If you crew has no where to evacuate, you cannot self-destruct your ship.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Asteroids Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Some questions that came up today that we couldn't find answers to, even having a quick search in the forum mid-game.

1) Do drones that are launched in an asteroid hex take damage at point of launch. We went with they did take the damage roll on a 2:1 vote, on the basis that they 'enter' the asteroid hex at the point of launch. Otheriwse it felt a bit nasty that someone could be sat on the edge of an asteroid field launching drones out that never get affected whilst the ship can claim the +1 modifier for being in them.

I agrree with Mike about drones not taking damage when fired.

Because if they did, that would mean if your ship started in an Asteriod hex then it would have to take damage before it moved. Or if the ship was stationary in an asteriod it would take damage.
With Targ and Storeylf sideing against me, this could have affected the outcome of said game. Although highly unlikely.

I think a ship siting a the edge of asteriod field launching drones is Great!I did even volunteer to be the attacker!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: