Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions on PF Tenders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: A few questions on PF Tenders Reply with quote

My 7lb package of SFU items arrived and man is it great stuff!

A few minor disappointments concerning artwork. I was hoping for an image of the Romulan Centurion PFs for reference. I'll just have to go with the "mini Warbird/Eagle" impression.

Additionally that image should have been included in the starship section of the Romulan sourcebook, in scale with the other starships like in the Klingon sourcebook...but as it doesn't exist.

Or I haven't found it yet.

On to my question concerning PF Tenders:

Is the shuttle bay on the D6P/KRP and D5P large enough to accomodate a PF, and if so, could this be used to transport an extra PF?

How about conducting repairs in the shuttlebay?

Can the Chickenhawk land on planets with the PFs docked/mech-linked?

Apologies if these questions are answered in Module K, they popped into my head as I was skimming it late last night before I dozed off, book in hand.

I'm sold on PFs. Is there use insane due to the attrition rate? Perhaps, but I can see most of the empires using them in some manner. I like the PF Tender concept and hope they become part of the FC universe.

I think it was a good call by ADB for the Federation NOT to have PFs.

Fighters (outside of the Hydrans) don't fit in the SFU universe for me. I'm content with that being the little trashcan-shapped, tentacled fart-breathers gimmick as it adds a bit a flair to the game.

Thanks for the assist!

Last edited by Burning Chrome on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the scale put on the diagrams of the Klingon G-1 PF (published in a couple of places, notably in the Prime Directive Klingon books), it's about 40 meters long by about 30 meters wide and just under 10 tall. In comparisson, a schematic of the Federation Frigate shows it to be about 80-90 meters long and a shuttle to be about 6 meters long. So, unless it is a very very large shuttle bay, a PF is not going to fit in there. It should be noted that there are a few ships with internal bays, nearly all Kzinti, but even then, only a single such bay. I'm going to have to assume that a Centarion is going to be about 30x30.

As for the ChickenHawk, I guess it would depend on where the mech links are on the ship. If they are all on top, then it shouldn't have too much problem landing. Given that one tactic used by the Romulans in the past was to ground their ships on planets and wait, I could see the ChickenHawk configured for that.

Here are some pictures of a Klingon UD7 by Adam Turner, who does a lot of the official SFB starship artwork. You can see the PFs on links, and the shuttle bay is that narrow slot in the back of the 'deckhouse.'

Admittedly, the scale between PFs and capital ships has always been a bit wonky, and it's sometimes hard to picture some smaller ships like the Kzinti PFT carrying their full load. But it's a fun game so nit-picking isn't too important on such things.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, a PF is too big (tall/long) to fit in a shuttle bay. Some ships have an internal PF bay, such as the B10S, some have a "collapsible bay" for repairs. Most PFs are repaired at special "repair-capable" mech links. And of course, some bases (starbases in particular) can internally dock entire ships, and have no problem internally docking PFs.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm pedantic but why is this on the FC boards?
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

My jaw about hit the floor when I saw the UD7! Thanks Ravenhull!

My only nitpick is I wish the additional sensors were more "Klingon" in appearance as they look too "Fed" to me. I know that is how it has been portrayed since SFB published them so it is true to canon and accurate, just thinking with CG things could be given a little more empire-specific flavor. As is, it is accurate to the artwork on the Mod R11, 'cept maybe for the boom mounted mech-links.

Then again, like Ravenhull mentioned, very fun game and the minor nitpicks aren't really important.

Adam does some truly amazing work that really brings SFU stuff to life...is there a link to more of his work somewhere?

As for this topic being on the FC boards, two reasons.

1. I don't care for the layout of the SFB board.

2. There are other SFB related discussions on this site, and since PFs and PFTs may transition to FC in the future, I didn't see any harm in asking here.

Thanks for the info guys!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam has an entire thread dedicated to his work here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=37

As for the question why it's posted here...
I think Tony meant why post in FC/General Discussion when there is a Star Fleet Battles thread located here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=36
That would probably have been a more appropriate place for the SFB PFT question, but who's complaining?
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's his Photobucket account which has a lot of stuff he has been working on, as well as some non-SFB stuff.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenhull wrote:
Here's his Photobucket account which has a lot of stuff he has been working on, as well as some non-SFB stuff.

Oh. I forgot about that. Thanks for the back-up.
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys!

As to the location of this post...I looked again and for some reason I didn't realize the "General" section was under the FedCom banner and not "Other SFU Products". Partly due to my POS laptop and my own under-caffeinated brain. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: