Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerarif
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: What do you think Reply with quote

A few posts ago I ask what is a good starter race and some general tactics for some races. I have picked a few races to start my tour of duty. First is the Feds, Klingon, and the Orions. Now they have a lot of posts on there style of play. What I am asking is for some advice on some other races I am thinking of: Lyrans LDR, ISC and Seltorians.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyrans: Don't get caught at middle range (3-8 Hexes). Anywhere else, you have the advantage (Distruptors at long range, ESGs at close).

LDR: If you play right, you will win. Simple as that. Very Happy

ISC: Make good use of your PPDs. Use Plasmas to dissuade your opponent from coming too close, while pounding him a long range with PPDs.

Seletorians: You will be crushed like the bugs you are (unless you are Terry or a student of his Wink )
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL@pinecone. Smile

Seltorians are not easy to fly successfully IMO. They have low-crunch, rapid firing weapons on a ship that doesn't maneuver very well. So they have the limitations of Klingon and Federation ships at the same time Sad

They're good against Tholians though, because the web breakers make it easier to get through web, and the lack of maneuverability isn't that much of a problem during a siege.

Advantages for the Seltorians are that you have a tough ship with a really good phaser array, and also plenty of transporters and Marines, so get in close where your phasers and Marines will do some good.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selts - I agree with Terry on the these, they are a tough race to play. They obviously excel vs Tholians if they are using Webs. The only other empire I found them particularly good against was klingons who like to 'sabre dance' - that is often a losing propostion vs Selts.

Against most other empires you find yourself trying to avoid getting hammered before your sandpaper power tool has made it self felt. The poor turn mode makes it hard to keep the limited arc main weapons firing twice a turn, and the centerline nature of the phasers is hammpered by turning issues or lack of move intiative.

Their smaller ships in particular are potentially stunning for boarding actions (be it H&R or capture) due to the ratio of transporters per ship. One of the few races that can realistically look to capture enemy ships as a standard part of their plans, though it can also be quite funny to declare H&R against entire engines rather than just an odd box.

LDR - Once upon a time in the future some data files were transmitted through a time warp and received in the back half of the 20th century. From this information the game Star fleet battles and FedCom was born. Some time after these games were created another time warp carried a copy of Fed Com back another 2400 years to greece, where some greek guys played it. From these games a chappy called Aristotle came up with the quote 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts'. He came to this realisation from constantly getting mashed by the LDR.

The ultimate no weakness ships. Seriously underpointed IMO. When we play them we use an 'unofficial' point adjustment that appeared in an early communique. Great long range firepower, awesome short range firepower, Game over point blank firepower, lots of energy, good manouverabilty, robust etc. Aristotle knew what he was talking about.
computerarif
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is LDR broken? If so then I definitely want to play them Twisted Evil
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70% of the players would agree so. I certainly would Wink

EDIT: BTW, know before you play them that the actual point value of the LDR CA is 151, not the printed 140. It's still broken though.
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, the Lyran's are okay with the ESG's but are highly inefficient whereas the Vudar IPG's are more suited for the job of killing drones and fighters.

The ISC is my favourite, their PPD's can be conveniently used at farther ranges and the Plasma S's and F's force the enemy to not come to close to give you the best range for your PPD's.

The Seltorians are okay if you are okay with the fact the Seltorian BattleWagon is so high pointed that it may not be used in Point Battles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: