Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orions,Lyrans, ISC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerarif
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Orions,Lyrans, ISC Reply with quote

Got some questions for some of these races.
1. With Lyrans should I always get PH-Gs.
2. What's some good loadouts for Orion? So far I been using Dis/PH-G. Thinking about using plasmas.
3. ISC. Just say back and use PPD's. If they get close use plasmas? Is that about it or am I missing something?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only LDR gets Ph-Gs
Orion load out is personal preference (depending on your opponent also)
PPDs being multi-turn weapons you just can't sit back, when you've use them your foe will close to his weapons range (ISC with plasmas does have a better backup than Feds with Photons) --
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weapons options for Orions really depend on what you will be fighting and on what kind of map (fix or semi-fixed location)

Can you stay at long range?

Over do you need to close or will the enemy?

How many ship do you have? Drone boat, Photons & Gatling for close range etc.
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. What's some good loadouts for Orion? So far I been using Dis/PH-G. Thinking about using plasmas.

In a squadron game, taking a bunch of plasma F torps is a powerful option. You can turn loose a mass of plasma to turn the enemy and make him defensive, and then carronade the F torps once you've made him defensive. Since plasma F's start the game charged, this is very energy efficient, and you have lots of reserve power available for chasing your victim down.

All phaser loadouts are also a powerful option in a squadron game. I've only played Orions a couple of times with this loadout, but I won both games handily. One advantage of this loadout is that because phses take less power than heavy weapons, you can easily run the weapons and still keep your speed up without doubling engines. This allows you to remain stealthed.

If I had to pick a loadout for an Orion ship, and I expected to be in mainly dueling scenarios, and did not know who I would be fighting, I'd be strongly inclined to go with disruptors and a phaser-G. The phaser-G gives me some drone defense, and may be useful offensively if I can work in close.

I have only tried using photon torpedoes once when playing Orions, and got badly shot up. Photons may force an Orion to get too close to the problem. I do not claim that it is impossible for Orions to win with photons. Other players may be better than I at using this weapon.

I am not big on any weapon that takes up two option mounts.

Quote:
3. ISC. Just say back and use PPD's. If they get close use plasmas? Is that about it or am I missing something?

In my experience of fighting against ISC (Which I have done a quite a few times), that can be a very successful approach. It certainly worked on me more than once. It's even better if you have a ship that can pack an S torp. If someone gets inside your myopic zone, you can make them suffer.

I do not consider myself qualified to address your first question as I have little experience of playing Lyrans.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed out above, There is no such option for Lyran. If you are referring to the ship cards showing the changes that apply to the LDR then you are looking at 2 different empires - Lyran or LDR, and not an option for Lyrans.

The other 2 questions are not easily answered. There are to many ways of playing FC to give a 'one fits all' answer, the answer will rely on context that you haven't mentioned. Do you know your opponent or not? Are you talking one vs one, or squadron actions? Are you talking a simple kill the other guy style battle or some other victory conditions? Are you on a small fixed map or a floating map? Is there terrain or no terrain? etc. Is it a campaign or a one off game?

Most of the games I play locally are campaign based, which throws up a variety of differing scenarios to handle with a fixed set of ships, that means very different choices compared to choosing a squadron for, say, the online tourney.
computerarif
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my phone keeps me from posting a long question. What I was asking is can I/ should I use the Ph-G option on my ships.?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

computerarif wrote:
Sorry my phone keeps me from posting a long question. What I was asking is can I/ should I use the Ph-G option on my ships.?

It's not an option.
If you're flying Lyran ships, they have Phaser-1s; not Phaser-G's.

If you're flying LDR [Lyran Democratic Republic], then you get Phaser-Gs; not Phaser-1s.
Tiigo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
computerarif wrote:

It's not an option.
If you're flying Lyran ships, they have Phaser-1s; not Phaser-G's.

If you're flying LDR [Lyran Democratic Republic], then you get Phaser-Gs; not Phaser-1s.

You mean Phaser-3's, not Phaser-1's, right? Or, maybe I've been reading my ship cards wrong....!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ships that I can think of that get an option to use PhGs are the orion ships (and maybe Wyn in the latest rules that I've yet to buy?).

Can you - yes, they have the option.
Should you - no idea. they are a good option in many cases, but they may not always be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: