Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob with a Dilemma..FC or Starmada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rouge2
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Noob with a Dilemma..FC or Starmada Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a space combat game set in the Star Trek (Starfleet) universe and Ive pretty much narrowed my choices down to either Federation Commander or Starmada/klingon Armada.

My dilemma is this:

Federation commander seems to suit the size of battles I would like to play (1on 1 duels or squadron level) however I'm concerned that although less complex than SFB it could still be complicated enough to put off the people I usually game with. I've had a look at the demo version of starmada and in terms of complexity it seems to be much more what I'm after however from what i can make out seems to be aimed at larger battles between massed fleets of ships.

Can anyone with experience of playing Starmada/Klingon Armada tell me if the mechanics are capable of providing a decent game at squadron level and at a push 1 on 1 duels? (Maybe with a little moding)
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have a third option by the end of the year (or perhaps early next year), when A Call to Arms: Star Fleet is up and running...

Although, in terms of scale, ACtA would be in broadly the same league as Starmada, in terms of complexity; I wouldn't necessarily suggest either would be optimised for duels, but they would be handy in larger squadron encounters.

(From what I've seen, at any rate; I haven't had a chance to play Starmada yet, and while I used to play one of the older Babylon 5 versions of A Call to Arms, I haven't been able to try the current Noble Armada edition.)

Have you tried showing the First Missions PDF to any of the people in your local gaming group? It's missing a few features from the main game, but is still enough to help them see that FC isn't quite so scary, after all...
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FedCom might be a better choice for just 1-2 ship battles per side. Starmada seems to be geared more towards larger fleet battles. I think that FedCom captures the flavor and feel of Trek battles while keeping them easy to manage.

I would second the First Missions demo suggestion. It's a great product that allows you to play a few FedCom battles before committing to buying the whole game.

Garrett
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend FedComm as well. The First Missions freebie is very nice to get started with. You can play with as much simplicity (or complexity) as you or your friends desire.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: