Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: History Question Reply with quote

For purposes of scenario-making, I was wondering whether the Kzinti and/or Klingon (and any other race) War cruisers (or CMs...NCLs...) were available when the Klingons and Lyrans began their invasion of the Kzinti?
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone, schools out for the summer and you are still studying history. Very Happy
pmiller13
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to go dig out my SFB stuff for exact relative dates (the two games use different dating systems) but yes the Klingon D5 and the Lyran CW were both deployed at the start of the invasion. I can't remember the Kzinti and Hydran production dates on there war cruisers but if they were available it was in low numbers.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I want to point out that this is a moot point in Federation Commander. Any ship in Federation Commander (that is not expressly listed otherwise in Briefing #2) may be used at any time in any situation. There is no 'introduction date' or 'year in service' or timeline or any of that stuff. Ships is ships.

Now, for the question, I am pretty sure that Klingons, Lyrans, and Kzinti all had their war cruisers available, though probably in somewhat limited numbers, when the General War starts. The Hydrans also have war cruisers, but they are the crappy Horse and Trailer (aka Horseman and Traveler), not the later Mongol and Tartar. Federation Commander simply skips the H&T as the historical footnotes they actually were.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't exactly moot for some of us players. I am trying to put together a campaign game using a roll of years for ship introductions. You know, to have the Feds use older ships and not just jumping and grabbing an NCA in the first turn. I just ordered G3 annexes to help this.

It is not exact, but it will be cool.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st: This is history that I actually want to study Very Happy

2nd: Thanks for the replies. I do understand that FC isn't so strict about such things, but I do think it's important to recognize that the "War" variants of ships were not always available. I like the idea of a campaign that restricts the immediate purchasing of CWs.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another aspect of Piney's question could be applicable to anyone who might be trying to write a piece of fiction, but wants to use the FC game engine to play out the associated scenario instead of SFB.

We have been told to try to keep all of the various SFU games in mind when planning a fiction story. The history and background is a crucial aspect.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
It isn't exactly moot for some of us players. I am trying to put together a campaign game using a roll of years for ship introductions. You know, to have the Feds use older ships and not just jumping and grabbing an NCA in the first turn. I just ordered G3 annexes to help this.

It is not exact, but it will be cool.

A quick reference for when a hull is available is the Federation and Empire Ship Information Table (SIT) over on the Discus forum under Federation and Empire -> Master SIT Updates.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: