Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scale of the new 2500 minis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In which scale should the new 2500 line of minis be at ?
I would keep the 1/3788 scale of the current 2400 line.
46%
 46%  [ 15 ]
I love the larger size 1/3125 scale.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
I would be mostly interested in a 1/7000 scale line.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Either one / Don't care about the scale.
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Scale of the new 2500 minis Reply with quote

Just curious about the opinion of other gamers regarding the change in the scale of the SFU minis.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the difference in size between the current and the new scale is a big deal, besides why I don't like them. I have a nice set of all of the CA's which I use for demos. They attract people on the convention floor.

I don't use them for general play, instead using the 1" tokens. They can stack in the same hex, they can be in adjacent hexes without knocking each other over. It is a little easier to see arcs on the token (my friend's comment, not mine. I have no problems with the arcs).

I would LOVE a set of 1/7000 though. However, I think this was tried before and failed.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an irrelevant poll. It is a done deal.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not going to change anything, but it is still valid to say how you feel.
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Its not going to change anything, but it is still valid to say how you feel.

Thank you. My point exactly.

And I am not sure if that has been discussed elsewhere and I missed, but I would like to see an explanation on the rationale for the larger size (other than more detail). Inconsistency with the current collections of 2400's and FASA that most of us have is an obvious disadvantage.
Increased difficulty in using larger minis in standard 1 inch Hex Grid maps used in SFB, FC and Starmada is another. As far as I know ACTA is a hex less system only.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I will replace my CA collection for demos with the 2500 because of the detail. However, I m thinking of buying a 1.5" hex map (or should I 2"?).
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go for the 2" hexes.

I made a 11.5"x8.5" template for 2" hexes that is colored black, has white spots for distant stars, and has medium gray hexside outlines. We ran one printed master through a copy machine and painstakingly taped a bunch of them together to make sections for a really large map. We laminated the sections and now have a pretty nice homemade map with 2" hexes. Haven't used it in awhile, but it was great for the regular SFU minis and accommodated micromachine minis as well. If there was a place to post the template, I'd do it with permission.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllarr wrote:
Inconsistency with the current collections of 2400's and FASA that most of us have is an obvious disadvantage.

Then why not keep buying 2400? Question
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I think I'd go for the 2" hexes..

I can make my own, maybe print it at kinkos. Though, for that price and lamination i can get a Hotz Mat. Also, Liko Aero sells a painting template for hexes.
Thenur
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the new line would be the same size as the 2400 line but in the end I will replace my old minis with the new line. Until all the ships I want are produced I will mix both in games. I thought the old ships looked fine but the added detail will be nice.
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet started building a mini fleet but want too, so am not sure which way I should go..I am the sort with big hands/fingers, so can appreciate the concept of a larger scale (might find I have an easier time painting and detailing the larger minis).
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever picked up a very few SFU minis, mostly because of the (imo) very low quality of the minis.

However, if the new line is as detailed as it appears it will be that will change quickly.

As for size preference, I would prefer to have both the 1/3125 and the 1/7000 scales. The larger size for demos and duels with the smaller size for fleet actions.

P.S.
You really need an 'Other, please explain' option on the poll.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several points:
1) It is a done deal, but in a free country - everyone can speak their piece, hence the poll.

2) I would have loved it if they kept the existing scale, but Mongoose is a large company with many more years of manufacturing experience than I have. I'm sure some marketing guru somewhere (many of them, probably) thoroughly explored this issue:
a: do we hack off the existing mini owners by changing scales and how many minis will we sell?
b: do we keep the same scale, slightly less detail, and maybe less in sales?
Assuming that Mongoose jumped to this decision w/o a careful consideration is silly (although many companies have done stranger things)

3) Having seen the images for the new minis in various angles, I will most likely be purchasing many, many minis. The design tweaks are great, the detail level is astounding, and Rob has some great thoughts on upcoming releases.

4) ADB will continue to support / sell the ST2400 line. I spoke to SVC at Origins. ADB ownsthe molds for the ST2400 series and will continue having AoG cast additional lots as they are needed. Now, will the next production run of D7s be 200 units? Probably not. But if he orders 50 of them spun up and they sell - he can order 50 more. The ST2400 line isn't going away, it's just being supplemented by a big brother.

5) Hexes:
a: A Call To Arms is a hexless system and as such, the new minis will be sold with Mongoose's round bases. ADB will however; continue to sell the standard hex base and I will be ordering them in job lots. Wink
b: There really isn't much difference in sixe between the two scales. The Fed CA is currently 3 inches long. The new Fed CA will be about 3.07 inches long. Currently, 1.18 inches wide and the new will be 1.21 inches wide. Both of these scales will fit on the standard 1.25 inch maps - and will probably not be noticeably diffent in size from more than 3 or 4 feet.

6) 1/7000 scale: This is the old elite-scale, right? I have several of the old ones and really am not impressed. Many of them barely look like the unit they are supposed to represent.

My two Quatloos worth. YMMV.
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Fed CA is currently 3 inches long. The new Fed CA will be about 3.07 inches long. Currently, 1.18 inches wide and the new will be 1.21 inches wide.

Are you sure about this Scoutdad ? I am pretty sure that it was mentioned in the other forums (Mongoose's and SFB BBS) that the FED CA was going to be 22% larger than the current. 40mm saucer versus 33mm current. 3 and 1/2 inches long instead of 3.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK! Dropped a decimal point during the conversion process. This time I got 3.66 inches long. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: