Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ships from TOS, TAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norsehound
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Ships from TOS, TAS Reply with quote

I thought this question had been asked already but I couldn't find it in the forums...

I'm hoping to introduce Federation Commander (with some added house rules for simplicity of play) to my gaming group. For starters, I thought about limiting the ship selection to ships from the TV series, so players could play familiar craft. Naturally I'm curious what FC/SFB'ers consider the equivalents for ships seen in the TV series and Animated shows.

The ships I was thinking of were;

Federation Heavy Cruiser (TOS series)
Klingon D7 (TOS... which variant?)
Romulan Warbird (or war Eagle?)
Romulan KR cruiser (just the base KR?)
Tholian PC (Tho the FC fleet version is missing a web generator...)
An Orion Pirate ship (From Journey to Babel- doubled engine but standard phasers)
Another Orion Pirate Ship (From TAS Pirates of Orion)
The Kzinti Police cruiser (TAS, slaver weapon)
The Gorn ship (TOS Arena... what class do fans presume this was?)

Were the Cargo Drone and Huron classes (TAS More tribbles, more Troubles; TAS The Pirates of Orion) ever given stats as well? If there's ever a need for target craft I'd like to use these over the flying cylinders.

Also... do SFB'ers consider the swarms of Warbirds in "The Deadly years" to be separate ships than the Balance of Terror bird? I presumed this was where the idea for snipes came from, given how they look identical and why so many of them couldn't kill a helpless cruiser.
ToddW
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the ships in Federation Commander:

1. CAR
2. D7
3. WE with reduced power and limited to a base speed of zero.
4. KR
5. PCW
6. CR
7. Not sure but probably the CR
8. CL I guess
9. A BC without the plasma-f's and phaser-3's (This is the CA from SFB).

Use whatever freighter you want.

I think the ships were the same though you could argue they were Battlehawks or Snipes.
bolenbr
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the gorn ship actually appear in the TV show or is it just alluded to?
Norsehound
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOS:R gives us a Gorn ship (looking little like an SFB/SFC ship...), my query was more on what SFB'ers assumed the ship was.

If I was going after every single ship in all of TOS, what do people think that klingon scout ship was in Friday's child? The ship that attacked the Enterprise in Errand of Mercy? (And blew up with ONE PHOTON VOLLEY?)

I just asked because I thought it would be neat to slip in a Gorn ship representative. If players handle the romulans, they can use the Gorn.

The police cruiser is considered a CL? I thought many would consider it some derivative of a Frigate. It's easy to just presume it would be a police frigate, but then, the Franz Joseph ships aren't exactly represented by the SFB classes either.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not appear. there is some text that indicates that the Gorn captain is of similar command to Kirk, so it is fair to assume the Gorn is in a CA class ship. In SFB, that ship would be the CA. In Fed Com, it is the BC.

Now, with that said, the show is basically late middle years or early early standard years (for lack of a better term). Fed Com is general war era, so it is considerably after TOS/TAS.

For Fed Com, you are probably better off using non-middle years ships, with their closest Fed Com ship.

So, even though the show clearly stated the Eagle in BoT did not have warp, I would use the WE. What it is, in SFB terms, is a WB and since it did not even have phasers, it is not even a WB+. Still, for closest match in Fed Com, use the WE.

The Gorn, just use the BC, since it is the closest in Fed Com, again.

There is no way to know from TOS/TAS the exact Klingon ship used. It is likely a D6, simply based on year and numbers, but it could have been a D7. I'd use the D6 if I were picking, though.

Likewise for the KR. Could be a KR. Could be a K7R. I'd just use the KR since it is a laminated card.

I am inclined to agree that the Kzinti is a CL, though again, there is no good way to know. DD is a reasonable choice as well.

A CR is possible for Journey to Babel, but I would be inclined to call it a LR. It was noted in text to be very small. We never see the ship, so either is certainly possible.

CR is a likely good answer to TAS Orion ship.

The models of the Eagles in The Deadly Years are identical to the ones in BoT, however, their response time means they almost certainly could not be sublight ships. I would put them at WEs, but I think a Snipe A is reasonable as well. BH and Snipe B are not really possible because it launches a single torp from the middle of the ship. That would not be the case with a Snipe-B or a BH. I'd go with WE.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norsehound wrote:
The police cruiser is considered a CL? I thought many would consider it some derivative of a Frigate. It's easy to just presume it would be a police frigate, but then, the Franz Joseph ships aren't exactly represented by the SFB classes either.

Unless I am remembering it incorrectly (certainly possible) the disruptors were mounted on the outside of the nose of the ship. That would make it a DD or a CL. I mean, the thing looks nothing like any ship in SFB, being, IIRC, a pink enterprise like ship, but flatter.

But, in addition to my memory of the weapons placement, it was too big to be a police ship or FF.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is that the "five-year mission" (2554-2559) and the fateful encounter at Talos IV (2542) took place in the Middle Years; an era covered in Federation Commander by the Briefing #2 supplement, and by (some of) the Ship Cards in Booster #91.

In SFB terms, the ships in the Middle Years are the "unrefitted" types; the Federation CA has no drones, the Gorn CA (not BC in this era) has no plasma-S torps, etc. However, the Romulan ships in B2 ar a little bit of a cheat, since they show the first wave of tactical warp ships which entered service after the signing of the Treaty of Smarba.

At the moment, B91 is only available as a laminated booster; B2 is published as a black-and-white book, but also has its rules and Ship Cards posted on e23.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ships from TOS, TAS Reply with quote

I will provide you with two options. As Gary points out, the ships from the show are all in Briefing #2. Those are the slightly older models that are taken from the time period of the the TV series (known in the SFU as the Middle Years). When I list a ship below, take it from the set of ships you will be using (either in Briefing #2, or from the main game). Often they have the same "name". So, there is a "Federation Heavy Cruiser" in both Briefing #2 and in the main game. Choose the one that matches the others.

Quote:
Federation Heavy Cruiser (TOS series)

The Federation CA. (And not the CAR.)
Quote:
Klingon D7 (TOS... which variant?)

The Klingon D7.
The "single-shot dead" ship is probably an F5 or E4.
Quote:
Romulan Warbird (or war Eagle?)

I agree with the others. Just use the War Eagle and be done with it.
Quote:
Romulan KR cruiser (just the base KR?)

The Romulan KR. It might be necessary to allow the K7R in the main game.
Quote:
Tholian PC (Tho the FC fleet version is missing a web generator...)

The Tholian PCW. (This is the version with webs.)
Quote:
An Orion Pirate ship (From Journey to Babel- doubled engine but standard phasers)
Another Orion Pirate Ship (From TAS Pirates of Orion)

I agree with using the either the LR or the CR. I recommend allowing both to be used.
Quote:
The Kzinti Police cruiser (TAS, slaver weapon)

If is really is a "police cutter", the the FF is probably the correct ship. That said, the FF is severely overmatched by the other ships here. Allowing the CL in the main game and the CS from Briefing #2 is probably a good idea.
Quote:
The Gorn ship (TOS Arena... what class do fans presume this was?)

Just go with the Gorn CA. That is the "CA" in Briefing #2 and the "BC" in the main game.

Quote:
Were the Cargo Drone and Huron classes (TAS More tribbles, more Troubles; TAS The Pirates of Orion) ever given stats as well? If there's ever a need for target craft I'd like to use these over the flying cylinders.

Well, for the most part, you are stuck with the flying cylinders. In the case of the Huron, the equivalent functional ship in the SFU is probably the Tug. For the Federation, their Tug is located in Booster #91. Alternatively, you can use the LTT supplied in Transports Attacked. Also, don't forget about the Free Trader, Prime Trader, and Armed Priority Transports as alternative targets.

Quote:
Also... do SFB'ers consider the swarms of Warbirds in "The Deadly years" to be separate ships than the Balance of Terror bird?

I doubt they were intended to be different from the Warbirds/War Eagle in "Balance of Terror". However, considering how pathetic their punch was, I seriously recommend that you use Snipes in their place.

Putting it all together, and to give everyone a decent selection of ships, I recommend the following set:
Federation CA, FF
Klingon D7, F5
Romulan KR (or K7R), WE, SN
Kzinti CS/CL, FF
Gorn CA/BC, DD
Tholian C/CA, PCW
Orion CR, LR
Using these ships allows for more variety and gives the chance for slightly fairer fights, and gives a couple ship sizes for each empire.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stasis Box scenario uses the CL to represent the ship seen in the slaver weapon and a DD to represent the shuttle. Both are a heck of a lot stronger than their TAS counterparts.

If you truely want the TOS era, you need Briefing #2 and Booster #91 and Booster #92(for the PCW). If you have those, then use these ships:

Federation: DN (technical manual), CAR (Big "E"), CA (Other Constitution Class Ships, Lexington, Exeter, Hood, ect.), DD (technical manual), SC [in one of the communiques is the middle years version] (technical manual), TUG [remove the drone rack and the PH-3s for the middle years version] (technical manual)
Klingon: D7 (Most seen Klingon ship), D6 (the "warship" from Friday's Child), F5 [or F5C for balance] (The "one shot killed" ship)
Romulan: K7R (those Romulan ships were based on the "cannon" D7, not the D6), WE (Balance of Terror), SN (those pathetic things shooting the Big E in that one episode)
Orion: CR (from the TOS episode), LR (from the TAS episode)
Kzinti: CL (The Slaver Wepaon)
Gorn: CA (Arena)
Tholian: PCW [or DD for balance] (The Tholian Web)

If you don't have the above products, use these:

Federation: DNG, CA+ [the laminated CA], DD+ [the one in Communique #3], SC+ [Booster #91], TUG+ [Booster #91]
Klingon: D7K [the laminated D7], D6B [the laminated D6], F5B [the laminated F5].
Romulan: K7RB [in one of the communiques], WE+ [the laminated WE], SN+ [the laminated SN]
Orion: CR+ [the laminated CR], LR+ [the laminated LR]
Kzinti: CL+ [the laminated CL]
Gorn: BC
Tholian: PCW [Booster #92]
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The animated Orion ship I would probably make a Slaver, or a Salvage cruiser to be close to the look. I'm thinking it really didn't have to stand up to the Fed Heavy Cruiser because they had somethinng to negotiate with.

In the future, when the Klingon Stasis Cruiser comes out officially, remember one of these appeared. Well, they said it was a "projected stasis" effect, but it wasn't quite what we see in SFB. Still, it projected three beams from somewhere in the lower front of the boom to the Cruiser and the two drone freighters. (The animated Klingon ship used the model kit for reference, and featured a protruding sensor/deflector, and a pair of rods (refridgeration coils?) along the boom neck not seen before. I will now think of this version as THE D7A, although I suppose Mongoose will have to avoid it if they make a. Starline 2500 D7A.)
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a D7A Ship Card included in Captain's Log #40; the rules for it are noted as being strictly set among the Borders of Madness (i.e. they are not a part of "vanilla" FC).

I'm not sure of the Ship Card in CL40 is of a refitted version or not, but I would suspect it would be.
Norsehound
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies!

In the case of smaller, weaker vessels facing off against real cruisers, I was going to give players multiples of these ships. In the case of the Tholians, it might be three PCWs against a Federation CA, figuring that the advanced rules of the web might even the odds some. I was thinking of the same thing with the Kzinti ships, if their counterpart in SFB was too weak to stand up against the F-CA.

Thanks again!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whatever you choose to use, please follow-up with an after-action-report to share what happened.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: