Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrain, Shuttles, and a comet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Terrain, Shuttles, and a comet Reply with quote

I moved these because they were in the wrong thread.

Here are some asteroids and asteroid field minis I made. These are just landscaping rocks held together with Christmas ornament wire on balsa wood stands. The wire is painted black.

They are shown with a squad of Klingon F5Ws.

I also made a comet.

A comet is a "dirty snowball" but mine is more of a snowy stone. I took a landscaping rock and dabbed superglue along the leading edge to simulate ice. The tail is part of a doggy chew toy that had served its purpose. The tail is supported by a short section of clear plastic straw glued to the rock.

I made it super tall so that ships could pass under it when they pass through the tail - so that we wouldn't have to move the mini during game play. Honestly, this was just a fun challenge to make.

I was looking to make a couple of Tholian shuttles that looked somewhat different from the standard administrative shuttle. While I was looking at different options, I remembered several different other shuttle variants and I got to looking at them. The results are shown here for your amusement.

You can see several shuttles in this picture. Hex 2721 contains two standard Starline shuttles - one Klingon and one unfinished Romulan. Hex 2720 has a Heavy Recovery Shuttle (HRS). Hex 2621 has a Very Heavy Freight Shuttle (VFS). Hex 2620 has two Prospecting Shuttles. Hex 2521 contains a Heavy Transport Shuttle (HTS). Hex 2522 has two Salvage Shuttles (SVS) with robotic arms.

(In this one you can see the HRS's rear tractor beam. It's the black spot between the blue engine vents.)

Here is a possible scene from a game with a Klingon admin shuttle overseeing the recovery of a damaged Romulan shuttle with a Heavy Transport Shuttle standing by.

But what about those Tholian shuttles I set out to make? Here they are:

And here are a couple of prospecting shuttles in their regular domain.

Ooops! Looks like the Lava-heads have already found these rocks!

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! You make excellent shuttles as well as terrain stuff.
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. These were fun to make and while the shuttles won't see much use (I mean how often have you actually used a salvage or heavy rescue shuttle) it's nice to have them around just in case.

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: