Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We need more klingon ships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: We need more klingon ships Reply with quote

Before we start, those who know me may think it odd that I am beginning this conversation. All will be made clear.

You see, today I looked through my ship cards, and took them out race by race. I noticed that the Klingon pile was half as large (as small?) as the Federation pile (FYI, I own every product and booster pack other than Transports Attacked, two Hydran Attacks as a matter of fact). So I asked: what do the feds have that the klinks don't? well, the plasma variants are part of it, but the klinks don't have plasma variants of their own. And the klniks don't have a pre-war destroyer. They're missing a scout, but that will come with BoM.

So what do the klinks need? They need their POL (the G2), their light cruiser (the LD5), but the need something the feds can't copy (to counterpart the plasma variants): Penal ships. and these have to be laminated cards, not just PDFs. matter of fact, there's a list of klink ships that have to end up as laminateds somehow:

E5, E7, G2, F5C, D5L, F6, F5J, D6J

I know laminateds are tough to do, but this is an important race. giving them 2/3 the number of ships other races have is not fair.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing any race to the Federation is a bad idea, the Feds will always have more because they are what sells. Klingons are widely represented via communique and have one of the best selections of ships available.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: We need more klingon ships Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
E5, E7, G2, F5C, D5L, F6, F5J, D6J

The penal ships are BoM, so that eliminates them for laminated cards.

The D5L (and D7W) will be done eventually with the other leaders.

I wouldn't mind seeing the E5, G2, F5C, and F6, though. However, they can only be done when the situation is right. And that can sometimes be hard to accomplish.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
Comparing any race to the Federation is a bad idea, the Feds will always have more because they are what sells. Klingons are widely represented via communique and have one of the best selections of ships available.

Indeed, they are second only to the Feds. There ought to be some more love for the Gorn & Kzinti though.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feds have more laminated cards than anyone else because they are in both entry products and in the Attack expansions for those products. Klingons are only in Klingon Border and Klingon Attack. There's at least as many Klingons in laminated cards as there are for other empires.

If you look at all the published ships I think Klingons are pretty well on a par with the Feds, especially if the Captain's Logs are taken into account.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, but a ton of those are D7 (and other) variants (D7Z, D7A...) not new ships.

I do see what you are saying. But don't the klinks sell well too?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, when I do boosters 31-32-33 there will be a Klingon in there but no feds.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I suppose, but a ton of those are D7 (and other) variants (D7Z, D7A...) not new ships.

So is over half your list.

The two main "new" ships in your list are the G2 and F6, both of which would be nice to have done. (Actually, I am kinda surprised the F6 hasn't been done yet.) The E5 and E7 are "franken-ships" and, while the E5 is useful, the E7 pretty much sucks (with its glass shields). So, in your whole list, I really only see three "new" ships that would be nice to see done: F6, E5, G2.

Most other empires (outside the Federation) have way more ships than that "missing". The Klingons are doing pretty well, actually. Especially after getting their F5W and DWL in Hydran Attack (well, the DWL was in a Booster).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see your point, but what ships are missing from the other empires?
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all you really need are D5s, D5Ws, and D7Cs anyways... Very Happy

Edit: and a B10 or two...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F6 was in communique 23, the G2 was in Communique 39, and the E5 is in ePack #1. So, you already have them.

Now, as for laminated cards, that becomes a whole different kettle of fish, since the only way to do new cards is to do a new "main product" such as perhaps Reinforcements Attack, which isn't an impossible deal breaker.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see your point. I guess it would be difficult to pull pff laminateds for those, but I'd still ike to see them someday.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably noted somewhere at the the time, but the squad level F6 in Comm23 has a misprint on it's speed 24 cost, it shows 16 instead of 18.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective, the problem with not having laminated cards is exclusively linked to the tournament. If the tournament rules were changed to allow at least e23, and preferably all published ships, the "need" for laminated cards would be greatly diminished.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move the tourney to stock squadrons and provide those laminated (done manually if needed) at the tournaments then that issue will go away. It is after all a tourney specific rule, so just change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: