Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Please Help!!! Reply with quote

I have just about finished painting my first two 2400 minis and the primer I used on them is junk. Can you please tell me of a good brand and type of primer to use? The primer I used is Citidel Colour spray can type. That stuff was a roll of the dice every time you press down the nozzle. On a roll of 1, the paint goes where you want it on the model. On a roll of two it goes on the model but not where you want it. On a roll of 3 or 4, nothing happens. On a roll of 5, it goes onto your shirt. On a roll of six, it goes into your lungs. After that the primer is bumpy all over the model, messing up the whole surface. I would really appreciate some advice and suggestions that I can use for the next 2400's I do. Thank you all for your time and support! Very Happy
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is Tamiya Grey Primer spray (Tamiya are my favorite spray primers/paints in general). There are some import/supply issues with it right now (my hobby store said something about needing additional warnings on the bottle).

As a backup for now I am using Testors Grey Primer spray; but I do sometimes have issues with the nozzle clogging.

Whichever primer you use it seems to always be smoother in warm temperatures (not an issue for most of the country now). Definately at 70 or above; preferably 80 or above.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always just used a Flat Black spray paint --- Walmart brand etc --
never had problems --
Though some don't prefer such a dark base to paint on --
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tamiya grey Primer as well, wonderful stuff.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart auto grey primer
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the Mark and Burt camp here.
I use Walmart brand primers.
White for light units, grey for Klingons and Gorn,
Black for the darker units.

$0.88 a can and never had a problem.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all lifesavers to be sure! I'd buy you all drinks if I could!

The Tamiya option although good, will have to wait, being as how I have already sold my sister into slavery to an Orion Pirate to get a bottle of mr surfacer 500.

I shall check out the Walmart selections tomorrow, as well as hunting down some blending gel at other location's upon Scoutdad's recommendation.

My mini's must look good because when we play fed commander at the local game shop, it generates A LOT of attention. One of my main goals is to help keep the SFU alive and well. Good look'n mini's will go a long way towards making that happen.

I remember back when I was a boyscout, one of the adult leaders taught us Starfleet battles. One day he introduced us to mega hex, and the images on those game pieces took me into a mesmerizing trance that lasts to this day! Then I heard about the mini's. It wasn't until about a month ago that I was able to get some 2400's and now I'm hooked!

I'm almost finished with my first two and will post images of them for you all, in order that you can give constructive criticism over them. As mentioned before, the primer I used stinks and is a BIG part of the problem. With the goodly advice you all have given, that mistake shall not happen again!

The ships however are not unusable, and were bravely designated as my subjects of experimentation. Through them I have learned what works and what doesn't. For example: to make portholes in the ships, I thought I could bore a hole in them in the right places using a sewing needle and fill it with neon yellow paint and then drybrush over it the normal hull color. Fail, when I tried to drybrush over it, it simply covered the hole that I had painstakingly placed into them. Conclusion: decals are the only solution to that problem.

In conclusion, I extend my thanks to all of you for your advice, and I apologize to those of you that I have disturbed in PM. I am inspired by all the work you post on this forum and hope to one day at least match it!
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Always just used a Flat Black spray paint --- Walmart brand etc --
never had problems --
Though some don't prefer such a dark base to paint on --

Black primer is my preference as well, makes it easier to make the details "pop out".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: