Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STARLINE 2500
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the scale is bigger will the size of the base increase requiring a larger hex map?
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very interested in seeing reports of playtests of this new scale in the standard maps. Or at least pictures. Specially a large battle (Starmada). The minis in the new scale are going to be around 25% larger.

I do own some of Mongoose's ACTA B5 minis in the 1/3125 scale and they are HUGE. They fit well with hexless maps with free movement rules but present a challenge for 1.25" hex maps. The problem with increasing the size of the hexes is the size of the map (and table) required to fit at least a standard 6 panels FC map.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty wrote:
if the scale is bigger will the size of the base increase requiring a larger hex map?

Yes the Bases will be a differet size but, from what I can see the bases are clear so there is no reason to worry about changing hex sizes. You will see the Map board through the stand. You just look at what hex the Stem of the Stand is in.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
IainMcG
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon, first (proper post) so hello all Smile

Silarr: FYI, the Mongoose B5 stuff isn't 1/3125 scale. It's actually pretty variable and generally increases as the class of ship does. In 1/3125 a White Star would be about 15cm long and an Omega destroyer about 50cm !

That said, the Starline 2500 heavy cruisers are going to be around the 3.5"-4" mark, I believe. I've got Klingon ships roughly the same scale as these which are quite useable with the 1.25" maps (my huge D10 is another matter Smile), but I can see some of the larger ships causing problems. I'm looking into going with a 2" hex grid myself, should be enough to compensate while only losing 3 or 4 hexes off the top of a standard board on a 6'x4' gaming table, although I think it might be more likely that I end up just using the FC miniatures rules (which I generally prefer with the models anyway) and keeping the boards/counters as a "travel version".

Regarding the bases, the usual Mongoose 2" round flight stands are indeed clear so you can still see the hex grid beneath them. I think you could probably get away with using FC-sized hex stands with them, perhaps weighted if required for balance (thinking of the FCA and similar). My aforementioned Klingons are happy enough on 1" hex bases, resin minis are pretty light.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, IainMcG! Pleased to meet you! Very Happy
IainMcG
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate Smile
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to starting a new collection.

I wonder if the Gorns will go back to being stretched or stay squatty.
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else planning to use their current E4s as E3s/G2s?

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Lawn Dart
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty wrote:
I am looking forward to starting a new collection.

I wonder if the Gorns will go back to being stretched or stay squatty.

I'd be happy if the Gorns (as well as the Romulan hawks and Hydrans) got complete re-designs as I'm not really a fan of the current designs. I think these empires are prime candidates for more modern-looking fleet designs.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawn Dart I had actually just got done posting over on the Mongoose Forum something about what you just brought up. I will Quote here what I said and hope it doesn't break your heart.

Edit it will not let me post the whole thing so i will cut to the chase for you...

Rambler wrote:
We have to realize the base designs are already set so don't look for some kind of radical re-imaging of the existing lines. But if the same attitude is taken with the Gorn and the Kzinti that was used with this D6 then these ships are going to rock. Also remember that ADB used a Base Hull for a lot of different minis. Mongoose actually wants to produce some of those variants so it should be cool to see where they try to push the designs.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Lawn Dart
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambler wrote:
We have to realize the base designs are already set so don't look for some kind of radical re-imaging of the existing lines.

I don't mean to jump on you, but is this just your opinion, or has this been stated as a concrete fact by someone at either ADB or Mongoose? To people whom have never played any ADB games, the base designs are not set, and ugly ships will turn people off.

Activision didn't have any problem coming up with new ship designs for the Starfleet Command series, and tossing all the existing designs that they did not like.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawn Dart wrote:
Activision didn't have any problem coming up with new ship designs for the Starfleet Command series, and tossing all the existing designs that they did not like.

Activision had a license with Paramount for the design of ship from the film series, which is why they went that way.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have to realize the base designs are already set so don't look for some kind of radical re-imaging of the existing lines.

Good. I like the base designs the way they are.

After all, if you choose not to use the ADB designs, you are free to use any miniature you want on the table.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear that SVC and Matthew Sprange speak for ADB and Mongoose.

I don't know what they have planned, but I suspect they will look much like our ships do now, except more detailed. Now whether they will fiddle with some things, again, I do not know. However, knowing SVC, the renders will be run past members of the SFU community prior to production.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a chance to speak to Ron in the Mongoose booth while at Origins. He has some interesting ideas to "modernize" the existing line of minis.

The base shapes will remain unchanged. Which is good in most instances, possibly bad in others, but it is what it is.
He definitely wants to tweak the Hydran designs (as luck would have it, he's a big fan of those low-down, dir... well lyou know the rest Wink). How much tweaking is yet to be determined.

The Hawks OTOH, Ron has already stated he wants to make "more birdlike". Now, while they will retain their current base shape - they will become more bird-like. What does that mean? I don't know. I can assume a slightly longer nose (beak), maybe a flatter overall profile? Possibly more upswept wings? Only time will tell.

All I know is I like the direction the line is headed in and can't wait to see more renders and eventually, the final product.

Last edited by Scoutdad on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: