Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transports too powerful?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Transports too powerful? Reply with quote

I just got Transports Attacked. Is it just me, or are the transports generally too good for their point value?

A few examples:

The D5H LTT without pods is almost as good as a regular D5 in combat (loses 2 power, 2 drone racks, and 2 ph-1 get reduced to ph-2 while gaining 10 cargo boxes), but it's a whopping 23 pts less! And the D5 is an already somewhat underpointed ship...

The Sparrowhawk-H is almost as good as a regular Sparrowhawk (it loses 2 power, 2 battery, and 2 PH-1 while gaining a ton of durability with lots of cargo boxes), but it's 25 pts less.

The Kzinti MTT costs 15 pts less than the CM, and it basically loses 2 power and 2 PH-3 while gaining a lot more durability due to the 12 additional cargo.

Ok, the Fed LTT stinks...

I suspect Tugs and LTTs are going to be VERY popular at tournaments or anywhere else where you have a point budget...
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, but really, most of the 3/4 MC ships (there are a couple of exceptions), are not really that good anyway. What probably should have happened is that the ships changing from 2/3 -> 3/4 MC when porting from SFB -> FC should have been given extra power proportionate to the SC cost (e.g a 2/3 MC SFB ship with 20 Warp should have been give 2.5 extra power - you can pick between giving it 2 or 3 extra power. Likewise, of course, the 1/3 MC ships changing to 1/4 should have lost power.

That, however, didn't happen. I suspect, therefor, most of those LTTs are still not a great buy in FC.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LTT's/Tugs were really not intended for fleet combat, and if they turn out to be "cheesy" they'd be removed from the tournament.

The Fed LTT doesn't suck, it is GREAT... at moving cargo. Smile
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the T6 seems way over pointed. It costs more than a D7 while possesing less than half of the firepowe.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFB has two BPVs for each ship (economic and combat). For the D7, the two numbers are the same. for the T7, they're very different.

FC has only one number, which is kinda fuzzy in the case of ships that had different numbers in SFB.

Tugs and LTTs are not allowed in the tournament anyway.
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.... the LTT are supposed to be LIGHT tactical transports.
i guess they would be considered a light cruisers with some adjustments.
and anyways, why would FC produce a product that focuses on weak ships that are the size of a freighter?
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why would FC produce a product that focuses on weak ships that are the size of a freighter?

Scenarios (where they are interesting) and campaigns (where they can be critical).
kirbykibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, yes but in a quick battle scenario, players will choose a set point limit and choose their race and ships

e.g.
lets play a (enter point value here) point battle
i will play fed and you will play klingons.
oh, since we only have transports attacked i will have (insert numerical value here) of Federation LTTS
I will have (insert numerical value here) of Klingon LTTS
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transports make the game more real (and much better in my opinion). Imagine you are a star fleet marine trying to hold out on a jungle planet and the only way you can get some a wipe and ammo is the transport headed your way. The Romulans are trying to take it out, and if they do, you are done for! Puts a whole new perspective on how vital transports are. They are no BS, and a product we must all have in order to fully enjoy what FC has to offer, period.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once Star Fleet Marines comes out I can see some really cool Scenarios where you have a massive planet battle and call for supplies, Switch to fedcom or SFB and attempt to deliver them, then switch back to SFM and based on the outcome of the first two scenarios you battle it out for supreme control of the planet.
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger that, Savedfromwhat, you get where I'm coming from! It doesn't just apply to the Federation. Think about Romulan Imperial marines or any other race in the vast SFU, slogging it out to the finish. The transports are much more important to the mud crunching grunt than some dumb battleship.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transports are certainly needed for campaigns and for overall flavor. I'm just questioning why they're so much cheaper than the base hull that they came from when they're nearly as good and far more durable with the functional equivalent of 10+ center hull boxes. The SPH-H actually has 32 cargo boxes and it's 25 pts cheaper than a regular SPH!
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, my copies of the laminated cards has writing that appears to be smudged. The smudging seems to only affect red letters such as SQUADRON SCALE or Power when undamaged:

Is this something that affects the entire print run of laminated cards or do I just have a bad set?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo, I have not noticed any problem on mine. Contact ADB by email and they will sort it out, I'm sure.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can email Leanna a photograph of the smudged card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: