Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Fleet Battles Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree!

I still have an entire box full of my counters from my Star Fleet Battles days (1987-1989). Including most of a Megahex H-1 from that original set (It was one of the first things I bought with my very first paycheck Very Happy) I'm kinda going in reverse from you: I've restarted in Federation Commander and I'll work my way back to SFB. Very Happy I totally agree, you guys are just way awesome!

For some reason, I love the counters, I'm sure I'll like the minis as well, but I've always been a big fan of the counters. I'd happily sponsor the new countersheets... but I don't have $1400 anywhere to give Sad

I also love the customer support! It's not just the fact that I ordered Distant Kingdoms on Monday and it's already here in my hands, but it's also the personal touches (I'm happily working away putting registration numbers and squadron icons all over my NCL, NCA's and DDW's counters for my new Campaign Squadrons! Very Happy). This company is a class-act all the way around! I'm really glad to be back in the "fold" so to speak. Very Happy
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven;t played SFB since mid-90s (started in '83) --

Started on Fed Com back in '06 or so ---

All that time only used mini's 2 or 3 times ---
Have hundreds, that sit around as collectibles --

Prefer counters personally, for me it's easier to see whats
going on --

For me, an arrow on a counter (to show facing) with a letter on each side (D|7),
identifying what type ship is fine with me --

Its the SSD that matters to me --
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aabh wrote:

I still have an entire box full of my counters from my Star Fleet Battles days (1987-1989). Including most of a Megahex H-1 from that original set (It was one of the first things I bought with my very first paycheck Very Happy)
I lost all of my old stuff Sad Sad
Aabh wrote:
I'm kinda going in reverse from you: I've restarted in Federation Commander and I'll work my way back to SFB. Very Happy
I'm paranoid about my SFB stuff, I don't EVER want to lose it again!!!! Even though nowadays, all I do is play Federation Commander due to time constraints.
Aabh wrote:
For some reason, I love the counters, I'm sure I'll like the minis as well, but I've always been a big fan of the counters.
I LOVE the counters too, I admit it, I'm a cardboard addict, what are you going to do? But I VERY MUCH LOVE the mini's! They have opened up a whole new dimension of creativity for me and have made all the SFU games I play much more enjoyable and visually stunning There is just nothing like having a tangible ship from the SFU that you can physically hold in your hand as well as look at the SSD! I love my ships!!!
Aabh wrote:
I'd happily sponsor the new counter sheets... but I don't have $1400 anywhere to give Sad
If I ever end up wealthy, SVC had better be ready to make me some awards!!

Aabh wrote:
I also love the customer support! It's not just the fact that I ordered Distant Kingdoms on Monday and it's already here in my hands, but it's also the personal touches (I'm happily working away putting registration numbers and squadron icons all over my NCL, NCA's and DDW's counters for my new Campaign Squadrons! Very Happy). This company is a class-act all the way around!
No doubt! If my coworkers and I had the same business ethic as ADB in the business we work in, I would already be wealthy and a sponsor of many counter sheets.
Aabh wrote:
I'm really glad to be back in the "fold" so to speak. Very Happy
I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we are glad that YOU are with us! The people on this forum are most excellent! I look forward to hearing your take on the many topics here!
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:

All that time only used mini's 2 or 3 times ---
Have hundreds, that sit around as collectibles --
Prefer counters personally, for me it's easier to see whats
going on --
For me, an arrow on a counter (to show facing) with a letter on each side (D|7),
identifying what type ship is fine with me --
The few mini's I do have, have earned several purple hearts in actual combat! I love games with mini's, but I can't knock the use of counters as they are needed when the mini's are not available for the scenario.

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Its the SSD that matters to me --
That is the core, or corpse, don't know how you want to say it, of the game!
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I hate to be picky, but Paramount is rather insistant that the name of the game is Star Fleet Battles not Starfleet Battles.

To their way of thinking (something to do with branding) Starfleet is official Paramount stuff and Star Fleet is ADB's little pocket universe they try to ignore.

So Paramount is going to be so picky that they would stand there with a red pen like a teacher ready to slash you if you said Starfleet vs. Star Fleet? You have to make sure that you include the break between words instead of saying it as one word. Gods I'd hate to have to quote Mr. Spock on this one from Star Trek 6 and I think we all know the quote if he was human. I swear sometimes those people need Ex-Lax baked in their brownies over there. SFB does a fine job of standing on it's own outside of Paramount. I mean seriously who needs that crap? It comes down to like this, let's use the word "ASSOCIATE" for example.
Some people pronounce it "Assosheate" when it should be pronounced "asso-c-ate" You follow me? AT Disc Jockey School it's called "Lazy Mouth" people get sloppy with their pronunciations.
Technically to call the game by it's proper name (According to Paramount) you have to count to 1 one thousand between Star and Fleet so you don't infringe on their trademark. But you know what? Hasboro has the trademark on MONOPOLY!

Keep doing what you are doing. Stick around and Thrive! I say what Vulcans say but that's trademarked too.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point is that Franz Joseph wrote it as Star Fleet in the Technical Manual, so the SFU follows that naming convention rather than the modern Franchise's one-word version.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the origin of the "divide" Gary but the point is that Paramount insists we only say Star Fleet and ask need all of you guys to follow the pattern.
CyrDraconis
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my SFB 'today' moment - I know I just recently posted about kicking back into things with ACTA, but I was digging in storage and found my SFB boxset too. I believe it's Commander's Edition; Taskforce Games imprint, cover art is a rear angle of a Constitution phasering a Warbird in the back, all over a blue planet.

Seems complete enough, though I'd have to sort counters to be sure...and I do have a spare counter tray. It's almost as if there was a game in progress when I put the set away *mumble* years ago, too - found a couple half-completed EA forms. Might post 'em up when I have a little more time and try to figure out what was going on.

Might see if anyone at FLGS would be willing to throw a game in once I get the set cleaned up and sorted. It'll be a tough sell though, most of my cohorts have the 'backbreaking rulebook' image of SFB...I keep telling 'em, only if you use every optional rule in existence.

On another note, I will freely admit I do very little online purchasing - but the Original SFB .PDF has me very tempted. Kudos for posting it!
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyrDraconis.let me tell you. my friend, the ADB stuff is worth getting!
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this before, but glad to do it again. I started SFB in 1986 while stationed in the Middle East. At that time I had just about everything that was offered to that point including mini's. Lots of moving back CONUS and from state-to-state in the 90's took a toll on the SFB collection. I wasn't able to play and eventually lost most of my collection.

At any rate, I was talking with my partner one night about the game, probably around 2005 or so. We were on-duty and it was a Holiday so it was slow. I began to wonder if the game was still around since I hadn't been able to played so long. Well, prophet Google showed the game was not only still around but was bigger than ever! So I started getting stuff here and there as I was able. Taught my son to play and now we have a small regular group.

I've been on a quest to collect all the CL's and the material I never had originally. e23 has been a terrific find!

Well done ADB and thank you for providing countless hours of fun. Beats sitting around watching the crud on T.V. these days!
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: