Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SL 167 report and question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: SL 167 report and question Reply with quote

Hi,

as our first foray into the Early Years we played this scenario from CL18. It went pretty badly for the paravian side as they got a first turn headon with the gorn CL that saw both bolt connecting resulting in him losing a torpedo and a lot of phaser very soon into the game.

The arrival of the second YCL doesnt change a lot of thing and after some pretty stupid play the first YCL crashed into the planet side (opponent graciously giving the 50pts of damage to the hexside).

Games was stopped at turn 5 but we have several question related to this scenario and Y1 in general :

1- The first Gorn YCL start into the planet hex, what is his status ? landed ? atmospheric flight ?

2- The Paravian can choose what option they want in the NWO, they can take a barrack which is usefull in this scenario. Does the barrack come with 10 Boarding party or up the limit of Boarding Parties that can be buy by Commander Option by 10 ?

3- The rules about Plasma aren't very clear : Gorn have access to only bolt ? what rules do they use for them EY or standard ? until what date ?

4- Is there any interraction between Transporter Bombs and Quantum Wave Torpedo ?

5- The scenario sound very very difficult for the Paravian as the clock is running from the start. The Gorn ship can reinforce the colony from the start by TP down 4 boarding parties by side and setting up Transporter bombs. The fight against 4 marines defending 3 control box can take some turn to resolve (I guess in the ideal situation at least 3, probably more depending if Paravan goes for 2 or 4 TRANS). The scenario end when one side is disengaged or destroyed, meaning the Gorn can put a 10 turn limit if Paravian are a bit too slow by disengaging their Turn 10 reinforcement.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Unless it's intending to enter atmospheric flight, and does so by the normal procedure, it crashes.
2: They can buy up to 10 more Marine squads. See (G33.44).
3. According to rule (YFP8.0), Gorns use plasma bolts until Y104. I think they'd use them under the Y-rules (max range 5 hexes).
4. No. See (YFQ1.42), second paragraph.
5. I don't know, I have never seen the scenario so I can't comment.
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answer Smile

1- Well the scenario setting have them start as the same hex as the planet at speed 5, so ...

2- So to resume : Standard Commander Option allow for 10 extra boarding parties, having a optional barrack on board allow you to buy 10 more for a total of 20 extra boarding parties, right ?

3- So after Y104 they can use plasma torpedoes, but when did they stop using limited range for the bolt ? or is limited range for the bolt only for the Romulians that have access to torpedoes from the start ?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check rules later tonight when I get home.

Anyway, I think that if you have a barracks box, you get to buy 10 boarding parties above and beyond Commander's Options per barracks box. In other words, you are not using Commander's Options points, but rather those boarding parties are effectively part of the starting forces.

As for plasma, that is what Terry was saying. Prior to Y104, the Gorn's plasma is restricted to range 5 bolt-only mode. Starting in Y104 they can use full seeking plasma. At that point, the plasma works just like you would expect. (Well, except that you still don't have the 'freezer' for Pl-F.)

The Romulans, on the other hand, are only restricted to range 5 bolt-only mode from Y66 yo Y88. In Y88, Romulans get full seeking plasma (with the same note for Pl-F).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from Y104 they can use full seeker plasma AND full bolt ? this part of the rules could benefit from a clarification.
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum, I was reading SH213.0 tactical notes (scenario is in Y90) and SH213.8 say :"The Gorn ships must use their speed to avoid the superior Romulan firepower while destroying the Romulan ships one by one with their torpedoes."

Also I notice the sentence :"The Gorns use plasma bolts(only) from Y68 through Y104." is under the YFP8.0 heading : Early Years Plasma Bolt. There is no mention of restriction of use of Plasma Torpedoes in YFP2.0. Such a restriction would have appeared in a YFP1.0 (that doesn't exist). There is also no mention of the restriction on the Gorn ships SSDs (wich provide the full plasma torpedo table (with range over 5)). while there is mention of the Romulan Bolting restriction on their SSDs.

Reading YFP8.0 you can understand than the Gorn cant use bolt from Y104 to Y120 nor before Y68, just as well as anything else.

It is also very noticeable that a Plasma G and a Plasma F are entirely identical if bolted under 5 hex... wich make the use of plasma G on YCA a bit weird (still have the advantage to be fired as a F in 2 turns.).

I think this deserve an official clarification and errata. (even if I understand that SFB is not the priority item nowadays).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKerensky wrote:
Hum, I was reading SH213.0 tactical notes (scenario is in Y90) and SH213.8 say :"The Gorn ships must use their speed to avoid the superior Romulan firepower while destroying the Romulan ships one by one with their torpedoes."

Whether fired seeking or fired as bolts, and whether they can only fire in bolts or not, the weapon system is still a Plasma Torpedo. So, there is no disconnect or error in calling a bolt-only plasma torpedo a 'torpedo'.

Quote:
Also I notice the sentence :"The Gorns use plasma bolts(only) from Y68 through Y104." is under the YFP8.0 heading : Early Years Plasma Bolt. There is no mention of restriction of use of Plasma Torpedoes in YFP2.0. Such a restriction would have appeared in a YFP1.0 (that doesn't exist). There is also no mention of the restriction on the Gorn ships SSDs (wich provide the full plasma torpedo table (with range over 5)). while there is mention of the Romulan Bolting restriction on their SSDs.

The reason for a lack of mention in YFP2.0 is because the relevant rule was in YFP8.0, which is on the facing page. It was expected that you would read the whole YFP2-10 section as a whole to see the modifications to the preexisting plasma rules. Putting a note in YFP2, and then putting the exact same note in YFP8 would be redundant.

Yes, the lack of notes on the SSDs in Y1 regarding the whole Y105 plasma thing was indeed a significant oversight. That is why such notes were added to the appropriate SSDs published in Y2 and Y3. However, the lack of such notes does not invalidate the existence of the YFP8 rule.

Quote:
It is also very noticeable that a Plasma G and a Plasma F are entirely identical if bolted under 5 hex... wich make the use of plasma G on YCA a bit weird (still have the advantage to be fired as a F in 2 turns.).

You skip over the whole 2-turn Pl-F issue as if it was nothing. That is a very important and powerful capability that makes a significant differentiation between a bolt-only Pl-F and a bolt-only Pl-G.

The other difference, of course, is when the Y105 refit is introduced ...

Quote:
I think this deserve an official clarification and errata. (even if I understand that SFB is not the priority item nowadays).

Most of this was hashed out and explained in the relevant Captain's Log and on the Legacy BBS. Also, Module Y2 had errata for Y1, including the (YR6.R1) rules note that describes the Y105 refit.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: