Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shield burn-through and hellbores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Shield burn-through and hellbores Reply with quote

If a single hellbore (or volley of hellbores for that matter) scores burn-through on different shield facings or panel banks, is each burn-through point a different volley for damage purposes or are they combined?

Example: An Andromedan Satellite Base with two panel banks is hit by a single overloaded Hellbore at range 3-4. Looking up the chart, I see the damage is 11+11. Therefore, ten points of damage are absorbed by the front panel and one burns through, same with the rear panel bank. Now, do I roll a separate volley on the DAC for each point of damage, or combine them into one volley of two points? (I think it's one volley of two points, but I'm not sure?)
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,
Rule 4k3e states that ships with two shields divide the damage evenly and ships with no shields take the damage as one volley. Rule 4k3f states that each shield hit is a separate volley. Separate volleys are rolled separately on the DAC so I believe the answer to your question is Two rolls of one damage.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure... I did look at the RRB but I seem to recall that any burn-through is combined...
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen this in the same way as SavedFromWhat, they are seperate volleys and are resloved seperately, each is batteried seperately (not for andro obviously) on that basis, so I think it makes sense to resolve burnthrough seperate as well.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Saved is correct.

When you have burn-through as a result of different volleys, the burn-through will be in different volleys. For example, if hellbores and phasers both hit a ship, and the "weakest" shield is facing away from the firing ship. Let's assume the "big" hellbore element does 10+ damage, and the phasers + small hellbore element does 10+ damage. Since they are on separate shields, they are separate volleys. That means the burn-through for those separate volleys will remain separate volleys.

What Terry is thinking of is disruptors on PA panels. When a disruptor volley hits PA panels, burn-through is done for each 10 points of damage, meaning multiple points of burn-through can be done as a result of a single volley. In this case, those multiple points of burn-through are combined into a single volley.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: