Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Starline 2500 minis with non SF:ACTA games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Using Starline 2500 minis with non SF:ACTA games Reply with quote

Pardon me if this question has been answered already, but will there be larger maps designed for those who want to use the minis to play SFB/FC/KA?

Thanks,

J69
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB will not be releasing larger maps (that I'm aware of), but there are several aftermarket battle map producers that do.

Take Hotzmaps for example. You can order space battlemats from them with hexes of your choice in size. I have one with 2 inch hexes that was purchased to facilitate the use of 2400 minis... it works just as well (with a little crowding) for the 2500s.
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full-size Hotz Mat with 3" hexes has the right dimensions for Starmada/Klingon Armada, and should fit the Starline 2500 minis.

Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj12games wrote:
The full-size Hotz Mat with 3" hexes has the right dimensions for Starmada/Klingon Armada, and should fit the Starline 2500 minis.

Sounds like you would need a large room to accommodate such a large map! Thanks for the information.

J69
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much.
I've got a 26 x 15 foot gaming room. It fits just fine in there.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution that SVC has noted is that you can use the black plastic ADB stands on the resin SL2500 minis, with just a small amount of conversion work. It would pretty much just involve snapping off the little "pin" from the top of the stand's riser (which seem to always want to break off anyway) and then gluing them in, as-normal.

The resin minis, despite being larger, actually weigh considerably less than their metal counterparts and should be stable on the ADB stands. They won't be as stable as on the larger Mongoose stands, but they should work.

My personal plan?
I'll be having some decals made with a hex-outline and some of the facing/arc data, which I will apply to the clear Mongoose bases. This will allow me to use the minis on either existing ADB maps or hexless open-table. For cases where they get too close and the stands interfere with each other, I will just use the same procedures I use now when large minis that hang over several hexes get too close.
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using rare earth magnets with mine to enable me to swap out stands and ships.

A couple dozen Mongoose stands and a couple dozen ADB stands and I should be good to go.
Although for a while it'll look funny having some ST2500 minis and some ST2400 minis on the same table.

I'll just have to rememberto use ST2500 Klingons and ST2400 Hydrans. That'll make those low-down, dirty-rotten, methane-breathing, trashcan-looking Hydrans about the right size.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably a good time to move to hexless SFB/FC. Most modern games (Wahammer, Warmachine, Starmada, etc.) are.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexless SFB is a much less tactically interesting game. Not sure, but I suspect Fed Com would be as well.

Pull out your SFB turn mode plates and put a good TM ship behind a poor TM ship. Now try and get the good TM ship off your tail without an HET.

The artifact of the hex grid (combined with the offset of the shield arcs) is a lot of what makes SFB such a good game.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips - the rules for hexless SFB have been in the book for almost 30 years now all you have to do is play it Laughing I am prety sure the rules for hexless FedCom are in the book as well or at least the Templates were.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like to use mini's for SFB on a hexless map.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much rule lawyering that there can be in the game, introducing the hexless element can be troublesome between serious opponents.
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty wrote:
As much rule lawyering that there can be in the game, introducing the hexless element can be troublesome between serious opponents.

I've found it generally reduced arguments when we played it, but then we didn't have klink nor fed players. We used megahex counters and standard turn gauges.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Fedcom has had hexless rules from day one.

About the only thing you have to do is to have a rule that says "If you are more or less on that firing arc boundary I say that you're on that firing arc boundary, then you ARE on that firing arc boundary" so that you don't have to futz with getting a mini lined up exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: