Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help? Need a fix for the Glownthedark DNG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Help? Need a fix for the Glownthedark DNG. Reply with quote

I was starting to piece together the DNG and had some serious resistence putting the suacer to the engineering hull. Well, the neck snapped. Part of it is still partially in the Ehull.

I'm curious if anyone thinks it will be worthwhile to work the patial neck out, re-attach to the rest of the nec and try again, or should I put the whole thing in my spare parts pile.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough part to fix, given how thin it is. If you don't have any emotional attachment to the mini (and/or it was cheap), I'd say you just found a source of engines for kitbashing.

If it's a mini that really needs to live to sail another day, I have salvaged such thing with very careful work with a pin-vise drill. Put a pair of holes down the length of the neck (really, really tough to do), drill matching holes in the saucer, and use small lengths of brass pin to reinforce the joint when you glue it. Just gluing it will probably never be strong enough to take normal handling abuse.

In my case I did this on some metal DNs that managed to have their upper engine struts severely mangled, due to bad case storage.

I also salvaged one of my old plastic CAs this way (the engine struts had both broken off, at the base). It was a royal pain in the keester and took more than one run through to get it right (one pin alone just makes a handy axle for the part to spin around when it breaks again...). I had to do it though, as it was my very first SFU mini (1985-vintage) and there was a lot of sentimental value. I'm glad I did, as she looks like this now:

(you can still see some flaws in the joint between the strut and the hull, but I'll live with it).

Last edited by djdood on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, more work than I can justify with my limited hobby time. My only emotional attachment was that I only ordered one of the plastic glowinthedarks and it looks like they are off the cart now.

Oh well, spare part pile it is. At least I have 5 or the 'clocked' plastic DNGs. The first one I put together was much easier.

Nice pic! I don't blame you for going to such lengths for such a piece.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I hope to (someday) have all mine painted up to that level, but I'm so ADD that it may never happen. Too many projects all at 70% complete. Rolling Eyes
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, you might send both such photos to Jean to use on FaceBook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: