Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OGOPTIMUS's Minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great - now I don't feel so alone in still messing around with my 2400's.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Always nice to have your hard work appreciated.

Jim Lewis wrote:
These are great - now I don't feel so alone in still messing around with my 2400's.

Oh...you won't be alone. I have way too many 2400s to forget all of them. And I know some other people around here are the same way.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to be messing with my 2400s, but with no players in the vicinity (sfb or fc), just no motivation to do it ---
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right with Paul. The resin 2500 minis are an extremely cool new thing and I'm very happy with how they turned out, but I have too many 2400s to just walk away from them. Lots of money invested in decals at that scale, etc.

I'll finish them, over time. Which is pretty much the same pace as they've always been under.

Once they're done, when I'm old and (more) gray, I might sell the whole collection. Or not.
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after being away for a long time (I cannot believe it hass been nearly a year. . .at least my minis thread has not slipped to page 2 like last time), and packing up 90% of my workbench for part of that time, I thought I would start off small. . .and deadly.

An Orion Advanced Light Raider.

The SSD for this ship is identical to the non-X version except for the engine size and the extra FA option mount. And the line art in Module X1 is also identical to the other LR line art seen. So initially, that is all I did, using the same technique that I used for my Medium Raider (back on page 2) I widened the engines (using plastic card this time instead of brass sheet for the support) and added the extra forward option mount:

You will notice that added some putty above the wings - they are just way too thin (~0.6 mm) and can easily break off, so this helps to support them).

But the mini as a whole just did not sit well with me. I like to have my X-ships noticeably different. The real problem is that this mini is so. . . well. . .mini, and there is not a lot one can do with it (i.e. sand it down and give it a go fast look) before you run out of actual metal. So after thinking for a bit, **parallel technology development handwavium hat on** I came up with the idea that perhaps the Orions had run into the same issues as the Kzinti did with their Fast Battlecruiser and noticed that the increased warp field put too much strain on the wings of the ship. **parallel technology development handwavium hat off**

So I decided to beef up the wings. I did not want to lose the existing detail on either side of them (note that I had to redo one of the passive sensor grids already), so instead of making them thicker, I added an extra expansion wing to the rear. And again since the mini is so small, the wings could not just be glued to the back of the existing ones, so I filed out a notch for the wing to connect to the hull and then ran a steel pin along the underside to support the new wing and connect it to the old one and the hull.

I needed to hide the pins used to support the wings so I covered them with putty. I figure these represent the cargo facilities on the ship for storing all the loot it would be able to grab. Normally that space is already in the hull of the ship, but I will invoke the friend of every starship modeler (handwavium) and say the X-systems of the ship like the phasers (or targeting gear, cooling equipment), impulse engines (stabilizers, etc.) and batteries are likely to take up more room than their non-X counterparts. These probably would have looked better if they were smaller, but I had another idea in mind when I attached them to the hull.

My initial idea (which at the time I thought was awesome:)) was to use the end of the steel pin as a weapon mount, so I left that little bit out in front. However, after working on the mini some more, putting it down, cleaning up some other stock orions, I realized that the front of the pin really only covered the FA and R/L arcs. Coupled with that is the only systems in the wings are a tractor beam and the option mount and both have LS/RS arcs. . .so these two pins would not work! Unfortunately, I did not realize this until I had attached the pin and puttied over it. So rather than tear it apart, I just covered the front up a bit more, making these newer cargo areas larger. That is what I get for having inspiration and not checking the SSD until I was well underway with that idea . . . Confused

After that I added some putty to the front underside to accommodate the second option mount, thickened the sides since the parent mini was not quite even or straight at that location, filed down the front to make it even on both sides, beefed up the option mounts on the wingtips, and then added the tractor beam emplacements on the wings (the small squares at the dividing point between the existing metal wings and the plastic ones I added - I was not going to try and add the forward facing rectangular protuberances like in all the art since the wings are sooooo thin).

Here it is finished underneath and compared to a standard light raider:

Overall, the mini does not match the line art as much anymore, but it is more unique and distinguishable. And since it is Orion, so I will use yet more handwavium to say that the extra mass cannot be easily detected due to the stealth coating on the ship (and by the time it is...it is normally too late).

More pics on the NEW page.

Note: it is UBER annoying that php is still not letting me use contractions, elipses, quotes, or dashes (the double hyphen) in any of my posts if I copy text from a word processing program. They all show up fine when I see the preview, but once I submit my post, it gets cut off after any of these punctuation marks appear in my text. . .I have had to submit this post a dozen time and see where it got cut off each time then go back and find the taboo punctuation (really annoying).

Is it just me that cannot use them? I know it would drive Jean crazy if she could not use proper punctuation all the time.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mini Paul and nice to see you back at work.

Regarding the posting issues, you might have more luck if you copy-paste your text to a simple text program (like Notepad on Windows) first. Since a simple program like that doesn't support any funky formatting, etc., it will strip it out. If you then copy it from that program and paste it into the post field on the board, then it might behave better.

This is an old trick, to strip formatting out of text that UNIX and/or html hate.
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I do asw well.
I typically paste it into notepad and then from there into the php forum.

The extra step sucks, but it beats the repeated submit... edit...submit...edit...submit... that I have to go through otherwise.

Oh, and good work, Paul. Can't wait to see them painted up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: