Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frax/X-Ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Frax/X-Ships Reply with quote

I have heard the terms Frax and X-Ships several times here on forums. What exactly are they?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frax are just another empire, you can get their ships off e23 (or a couple are in past communiques).

[edit] to be accurate, if you are into background/fluff, they are not another empire, they are a simulator race. I think they were supposed to be the ships the klingons used in their simulators to practise against. In game terms though they are just another set of ships. They use disrupters and drones but with heavy emphasis on FX/RX arcs which makes them a little like early 20th century navies. They also have 'subs' which are cloaking ships with some ability to shoot whilst cloaked (which may or may not be balanced).

X-ships are not in Fed Com. In SFB they were the next generation of ships (not next gen the series, but next gen as in the next step in technology from existing SFB ships). They had better weapons and better power and shields etc.
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I could use them as both a campaign race or as a race for general battles then?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattruh wrote:
So, I could use them as both a campaign race or as a race for general battles then?

With your opponents approval, yes.

Just be aware that there are no official rules for X ships yet. You can house rule them (and several groups have) but chances are there will be significant differences between what you're used to and what is official when they do come out. This means you'll have to unlearn / relearn some things.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me to tell you what you what ships you are or are not allowed to play. That is between you and your opponents.

Frax are easy enough to use, just get the e23 packs.

X-Ships, I have no idea as there are no cards for them, and whilst I have no real idea what they were like in SFB (or at least current SFB rules), they have a slew of extra rules in SFB I believe which may make it hard to bring into FedCom unless you want to have your own house rules to try and mimic them.

[edit: cross post with scoutdad above]

Last edited by storeylf on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have no intention of using X-ships at all, but the Frax sound fun to try to play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: