Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original SSD's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Original SSD's Reply with quote

So, a few weeks back I managed to find an original Star Fleet Battles set at a used book store (In pretty good condition, too!)

And I'm really glad to have a set of some of the original SSD's I now have some ships I was missing from MY sets (FRD, Federation DD (The Franz Joseph one), etc)

But I'm noticing they are only half a page, which considering that Fed Com SSD's are half a page and more crowded than these, I'm thinking there is some missing data (There are FOUR Andromedan Cobras on the same half-page...)

I am a Fed Com player these days, and I've forgotten most of my SFB rules, I was thinking about taking these guys and dividing by 2 for Fed Com and trying to use them (It's a temporary thing: Until I can purchase the sets in Fed Com: I've been buying a lot of Fed Com stuff these days -including some 2500's-, and so I'm sort of on a "Shopping Hold" with my wife for a month or two Very Happy).

What is missing from these early SSD's?

Thanks!

-Guy

-------
Guy Davis
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some of them, nothing, on others, the ships changed over time.

Obviously, modern Block 4 SSDs have weapons charts and ammo/crew check-off boxes, which those old ones don't have.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version did you get: Designer, Commanders --

Designers (Pocket version) had several ships on a foldout page (up to 8 ships IIRC), with no movement, weapons or data chart ---

Commanders Vol I/II, same but in booklet form (2 ships per page on each side)--
Commanders Vol III, added the Movement Cost Chart, weapons charts for the ships, Turn mode chart and Ship Data Table -- 1 Ship per page

Afterwards, Commander's SSD Books were released in the format introduced in Vol III ---
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to convince your opponents to let you use those four Andromedan Cobras ...

The big thing that you will likely find missing are the refits. So, that Fed DD will not show the four lab that change to power, and that Fed CA might not show its extra power, phasers, drone, and shields.

Quite frankly, most old SSDs are only really useful for completists, collectors, and SFB grognards. I don't think they are terribly useful for anyone else, nor are they actually worth a whole lot.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become a Grognard! Very Happy

As far as the edition: It was used and loved and 30+ years old, I think it had the original boxed set (It's in a large, 8.5"x11" box with a federation CA fighting two D7s and says simply "Star Fleet Battles" numbered 5001). But it does have the Supplement #1 rulebook in it.

The SSD's are 8.5x5.5" and clearly cut in half (I can see a dotted line on one side... they were hand-cut so the cut weaves back and forth).

Anyway, I guess I could get the point values from the Master Ship Chart, and I don't really use the movement charts (FedCom).

Is there a pdf with just the original SFB SSD's for FedCom? I figured I'd get them someday after buying all of the sets, but figured it would be a some ships here, some ships there sort of thing... That is sort of my drive to convert these SSD's over: That way when I get one set of SSD's that only replaces 4 or 5 of them, then I could still use the others until I can afford the rest of the sets. Smile

-------
Guy Davis
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "grognard", I mean one who strongly prefers an older version of a game to the exclusion of the newest version. I.e. someone who loves the Designer's Edition of SFB, but despises the Captain's Edition. Or someone who loves D20 3.5 or 2.0, but considers 4.0 (or the forthcoming 5.0) as inferior. (I guess a true "grognard" would substitute "tool of Satan" or "an abomination" instead of "inferior".) It is up to the reader to determine if "grognard" is a negative appellation.

Your phrase "a pdf with just the original SFB SSDs for FedCom" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I can't figure out what you are asking for. Do note that all of the ship cards from Klingon Border and Romulan Border can be found in Commanders' Circle. (And lots more besides, of course.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I bought Klingon Border to begin with, then I got a few squadrons (Multiple fleets). But (And this is where I get geeky, I'm sorry), I draw a fan comic about a FJ DD and I kinda always wanted to have my DD (Tamerlane, NCC-510) in a game somewhere. But I seem to have no real luck figuring out how to get that specific ship card. I have, like, 5 Zocchi DD's just waiting for Tennshington to get to the point they can make special decals for her Very Happy

Anyway, I'll look into the Commander's Circle. Very Happy That may be EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

-------
Guy Davis
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FJ DD, along with all of the other FJ ships, is in Federation Commander Booster #91.

An earlier playtest Federation Commander version of the FJ DD is in the Federation Commander Commander's Circle on the ADB website.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, fellow grognard--

Starting from the SFU home page, if you click "Star Fleet Battles," then "Player Resources," then "Federation Commander Downloads," you can find a couple of articles that give some guidelines for converting SFB SSDs for use in FC (sorry for all the abreviations).
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on the index for COMMANDER'S CIRCLE and go there you'll easily find a Fed DD shipcard you can download.

We just don't sell individual cards because the hand labor to get them costs more than the cards cost. I suppose we might do it and not lose money for $5 per card but that would seem to be gouging people.
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand. It's not a problem, someday I'll be able to buy all of the cards. For right now it's a good compromise! Very Happy

I downloaded the card from the Commanders' Circle as well as the FBB (Which I had been using my FF card for...). I'm really grateful you guys do that for us!

-------
Guy Davis
dltraichal
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: see me on face book Reply with quote

have lots off SSDs old 1/2 sheets and v1,v11,v111

[Please don't put our SSDs online. They are copyright protected so even if they are free, don't post them. Since they will no doubt be removed soon, the link to them is deleted. -- Jean]

[Official link to SFB tournament SSDs: http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfb/tournament/tourn_down.shtml ]
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: see me on face book Reply with quote

dltraichal wrote:
have lots off SSDs old 1/2 sheets and v1,v11,v111

...link deleted...

Probably not a good idea to post that link here.
Even though the tournament SSDs are free to download off the ADB website, they are constantly under review and subject to revision.

Someone who downloaded these versions and then went to an official tournament might be shocked to find that hte ship they'd been playing for months was not actually valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: