Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F5 vs. TDD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing in the rulebook that seems to forbid web casters being able to use the snare function. And (5M1a) specifically states that

Quote:
Web Casters can function as Web Generators...

That statement implies to me, absent any comments to the contrary, that Web Casters can do everything that a Web Generator can do - including create Web Snares.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never thought about it that way ,and we [Battlegroup Murfreesboro] have certainly never played it that way: after thoughtful review, I must agree with Junior.

To further expound on his assertion:
(5M1a) specifically states that Web Casters can function as Web Generators...
(5M3) specifically states that "Tholian Web Generators have two functions, one of which is to lay web, and the other of which is the Web Snare."

These two comments, taken directly from the rules and applied in conjunction seem to explicitly indicate that Web Casters can function as Web Snares.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is all a valid point.

In SFB it is a non-issue, as the snare is effectively a web caster that can be charged with a single point of power. In FC, it is an issue, as the snare operates very differently than a web caster.

I am sure that the initial intention is that a web caster can't be a snare as that is redundant. However, since that is not really the case, it needs to be resolved.

I will raise the issue with Steve and see what he wants to do about it.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
That is all a valid point.

In SFB it is a non-issue, as the snare is effectively a web caster that can be charged with a single point of power. In FC, it is an issue, as the snare operates very differently than a web caster.

I am sure that the initial intention is that a web caster can't be a snare as that is redundant. However, since that is not really the case, it needs to be resolved.

I will raise the issue with Steve and see what he wants to do about it.

I agree. Since all the members of Battlegroup Murfreesboro are and have been SFB players for 20 or more years, this was another case of SFB'isms working into FC. Since it can't be done in SFB - we always assumed that it couldn't be done in FC either, at least until this thread pointed out the error of our thinking!

Thnaks for bumping it up to SVC for clarification.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJolley wrote:
The Tholians are a very tough nut in FC, no doubt. I haven't figured out any way to deal with them effectively yet, so I usually end up flying them Smile

Which leads to a spin-off-ey question:

What about the Seltorians?

Are they well-matched against their former masters in FC - either in M81 or in the Milky Way?

To take up the example of the destroyer clashes mentioned earlier, if one were to replace the F5 with a Selt DD, and fly either a Tholian DD, Milky Way-NDD or M81-NDD, how much of a shot would the bug captain have?
Fusilier
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
While I've never thought about it that way ,and we [Battlegroup Murfreesboro] have certainly never played it that way: after thoughtful review, I must agree with Junior.

To further expound on his assertion:
(5M1a) specifically states that Web Casters can function as Web Generators...
(5M3) specifically states that "Tholian Web Generators have two functions, one of which is to lay web, and the other of which is the Web Snare."

These two comments, taken directly from the rules and applied in conjunction seem to explicitly indicate that Web Casters can function as Web Snares.

Actually, [4Q1c] specifically states that "Web Casters cannot function as Web Snares."

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but it took me ages to find. Thus I would interpret the whole picture as 'only the Archaeo-Tholians and NFF have snares'.

I know that SFB has a big distinction between "historical" and not that FC largely ignores. But actually I think it all works out ok anyway.

The description of the NFF says the Tholian Holdfast has a few hulls it could press back into service, and if they did it would certainly have the snare capability.

Any NFF's fighting in the home galaxy would only be fighting Seltorians and wouldn't be facing seaking weapons (except suicide shuttles) anyway, and there's better ways for a 1/4 move cost ship to deal with them. At least unless you're in a big fleet engagement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: