Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 powers war
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, smoked kippers..
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of round 1 saw the Alliance buy a new Kzinti FFk, and the Coalition repair the damaged CW.

Turn 2.
======
Money in the bank:
Coalition = 69.
ISC = 32.
Alliance = 21.

Start of round 2 and ship transfers are:
Coalition = 2 cripples back home.
Alliance = NCA(F), NCL(F), CMD(K), DW(K) back home. HDD(G), FFK(K) to the ISC track. CM(G) to the alliance track
ISC = PPD fleet to coalition track, Balanced fleet to Alliance track.

ISC attack both Coalition and Alliance. Coalition attacks Alliance.

Battle 1
=========
ISC:
DNP
CA
CS
DD * 4

Coalition:
BS (K)
C10
D5W
D5
D5S
NCA (L)
BH (R)
WE (R)

Battle 2
=========
ISC:
DNT
CA
CC
CL
CL

Alliance:
BS (K)
CC (K)
FFK (K)
Scout (K)
HDD (G)
HDD (G)
BC (F)

Battle 3
==========
Coalition:
Vulture (R)
NCA (L) [4]
CW (L)
SPM (R)
D5S (K)

Alliance:
Scout (K)
CC (K)
CM (G)
Tug (F)

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am; edited 5 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle 1.

This was actually quite a quick game surprisingly.

My ISC meandered in at speed 8 under EM whilst arming up, the coalition forces moved out slightly.

Turn 2 the ISC stayed under EM and closed on the coalition who were at speed 0+. By the end of the turn the PPD ships were at range 12ish and dropped EM whilst the DDs stayed under EM slightly closer. 7 PPDs fired, with 6 hitting the C10 full on and 1 missing totally, that left it with no front shield and 2 and 6 pretty well hammered as well as a few internals (lots of batteries and spare power mitigated a lot of damage). In return the ISC DN lost its front shield and took a few internals as well. The CA launched plS to help put off any follow up.

Turn 3 the PPD ships turned away, and the DDs drop EM and prepare for the plasma run. The Coalition may have been taken a bit by surprise here, only plotting 16. The DDs hit range 2 and all hell breaks loose. The C10 has turned away to avoid the down shields, the ISC phaser the heck out of the D5W and in return the coalition open up on 2 of the DDs (who bolt their plasma expecting to die). 1 DD is blown sky high, the other survives by the narrowest of margins, Mass plasma F is launched and more as we turn aside. The end result a couple of impulses later is a severely crippled D5W and a damaged D5.

The Coalition then disengage, as they have nothing left to fire, and will be facing PPDs again in a few impulses time with their major ships in no position to turn at me. They do evactuate the base and self destruct.

That was a quicker victory than I expected. However it is a bit phyrric. I am down a DD and need to retire another for repairs, which due to PPD limits will be bad for next round. The coalition only have a crippled D5W to worry about, the other ships not having enough damage to count.

I was worried pre battle about my ability to actually kill something. 7 PPDs doesn't really have the crunch in these larger battles and the arming cycle gives plenty of time for damaged or crippled ships to get away. That indeed happened here, the coalition withdrawing whilst I was reloading. My phaser fire was badly affected by the scouts, whilst my lack of scout was notable.

D5W - cripple

ISC DD - dead
ISc DD - cripple

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:30 am; edited 4 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle 2.

After the Alliance played a blinder in their previous battle against the coalition, dramatically turning victory into defeat due to lack of aggression when it counted, I wasn't expecting what happened here.

The Alliance fleet was somewhat outpointed by mine, but not if you include the base station he had. But despite that he sent all his fleet except the Fed BC out to meet me at a long distance from the base. The result was fairly predictable, the ISC picking off the Alliance piecemeal. The large number of drones were simply bypassed via moving speed 24 all game (some were actually removed as fuel ran out eventually, others as the controlling ships were lost). The Fed BC was apparently holding back as it was his flag ship, and having lost one in the previous battle coudn't afford to lose this one.

The Alliance had the scout in with the attacking ships, and that became my PPD target, leaving it serioulsy crippled, where upon it managed to get back to the base on momentum alone, before crashing to speed 0 on the turn break. It was eventually picked of at range by a subsequent PPD strike. The shiny new FFK got too close to my 3 large ships, who phasered it with a lot overkill that lost a lot of skips due to aiming (I badly miscalculated how much I would hit it for) but 3 plasma that were already in flight finshed it off. Most other alliance ships were getting hit by plasma as just about every where they turned was an ISC launching something at them. In the end a mass plasma strike took out the base.

A good victory for the ISC, they actually killed 2 ships, the scout kill was a little lucky, it almost got away but floundered just short of the map edge. My CA came away with the slightest of nicks to the paintwork.

FFK - dead
Scout - dead
BC (F) - [3]

ISC CA = [2 + 1Frame]

Map as it is with the coalition vs alliance battle to be decided (if the alliance don't just withdraw).

PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks fun! Nice idea with the map.
Pm, COW creator
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although things are not looking good for the Alliance. The Federation diplomatic corp have pulled off a major coup! The Orions, distressed at the ISC and coalition lack of "Free Trade" have promised to send some ships to help the Alliance! Very Happy Very Happy (Just hope its not 2 free traitors! Crying or Very sad

Further more the Tholian Ambassador has been hinting at militery help against the Coalition (as they have been encroaching on Thoilian Space, oo dear! Shocked)
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alliance retreated rather than fight at a big disadvantage. so the coaltion advance in to the empty space.

We each get 100 points to spend plus whatever was in the bank from before. Then next round starts with ship movements.

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The End of round 2 saw my ISC save 100. The Alliance saved their 100, and the Coalition repaired the BCH and CW.

The start of round 3 first saw some ship transfers, and the creation of the battle fleets. It was clear that there had been some attempt at a truce between the alliance and coalition. The alliance starts phase 1 of operation 'Sardine'.

Turn 3

Money
=====
Coalition = 9
Alliance = 121
ISC = 132

Transfers
=========
Coalition
cripple D5W back home
BCH(L) and CW(L) to ISC track.

Alliance
Everything on the Coalition front bar the tug back home
Everything from the ISC front back home.
NCA(F) and NCL(F) to ISC front.
DW(K) to Coalition front.

ISC
crippled DD back home.

Battles
=========
The ISC attack the alliance who retreat.

The Coalitiion attack the alliance who retreat. There appears to be some dispute over the truce conditions!

The Coalition attack the ISC. Being 2 destroyers down and hence suffering PPD limit issues I can't form a fleet capable of standing against whats attacking so retreat.

There are therefore no battles this round, the Coalition retake their lost zone and we are back to the start line, but the coalition have lost the Base Station after my 'raid'. The Alliance are now back at their Battle Stations on both fronts.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of round 3 see the Coalition repair the D5W and damaged NCA(L).
The Alliance buy a Fed BC (drone variant) to replace their lost flagship.
The ISC buy a CL and repair the DD.

Round 4.

The Alliance continue with operation 'sardine', by the end of this we are in total confusion as to which ships are where as he gets hemmed in. Like Sardines he is relying on mass eractic manouvering to confuse the attackers. To be honest I'm not sure he knows what he has where Smile

The so called truce was clearly never such a thing, as the alliance finds it is assailed on all fronts.

Money
======
Coalition = 3
Alliance = 32
ISC = 38

Transfers
=========
Coalition
D5W to Alliance front.

Alliance
Scout(K), CDM(K), CC(K), CC(K), CM(G), BC(F) to ISC front.
HDD(G), HDD(G) to coalition front
[Has a crippled HDD(G) at home still, as well as the BC(F).]

ISC
CL to Alliance front
DD to Coalition front.

The Alliance still has a BC(F)[3] back home, which he didn't deploy for some reason, and a crippled HDD(G).

ISC and Coalition attack the Alliance, the Coalition attack the ISC.

Battle 1
========

ISC
----
DNT
CA[2/1]
CC
CL
CL
CL

Alliance
---------
BATS(K)
Scout(K)
CDM(K)
CC(K)
CC(K)
NCA(F)
BC(F)
CM(G)

He also has a spare NCL(F) that can come on on turn 10, command limits prevent it starting, as he can only control 7 ships with his BC.

Battle 2
========

Coalition
----------
D5W
NCA(L)
CW(L)
Sp-M(R) (Aegis)
Vulture(R)
D5S(K) (Scout)

Alliance
---------
BATS
Tug(F)
DW(K)
HDD(G)
HDD(G)

Not looking good for the alliance. On the other hand if the coalition lose one more ship or have to move a ship home they will not be able to deploy both special ships next round, as there is only 1 special ship per 5 ships or part thereof allowed.

Battle 3
========

Not sure of yet, the coalition has more ships than they can command, and I haven't got what they attacked with.
Their overall fleet is:

C10(K)
D5(K)
D5S(K) (scout)
NCA(L)
BCH(L)
CW(L)
BH (R)
WE (R)

The ISC will be defending the BS.

Last edited by storeylf on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISC attack the Alliance BATS. Looking at the other front I can see I need to do well here, as other wise the coalition are going to be closing on the alliance home faster than me.

The battle looks very interesting.

On the Alliance pro side:
They have 7 scout channels to my none.
They have 26 drone racks with a possible 72 control limit.
2 Feds and a Gorn cruiser can deliver serious crunch as I try to close.
He also has significant long range fire power with plenty of phasers and some disrupters.

So, I have to fight my way through an area of space lit up bright by the flare of drone engines (in space the 'we will fight in the shade' quote doesn't quite work Smile ), suffer a punishing long range engagment where his sensors ensure I do little in return, and then deal with photons and some plasma as well as Phaser 4s.

On the ISC pro side:
I have 12 plasma S.

And that is probably it.

I have a lot of phaser 1s but they will be hurt badly by the scout channels and may be shooting drones. The PPDS will also suffer to scout channels, especially at range, and 5 PPDS are not really that good at this level of fight (over 1000 pts per side) - his 8 photons may hurt me more. I do have a lot of Phaser 3s for drone defense luckily. The plasma are likely to be useful in this fight, at range 20 to the BATs I can launch and be sure of a 168 point volley hitting (minus phaser fire and scout channels). If I get to range 16 I can launch at the BATs for a 264 point impact. My problem though is that the fight is not just a case of take out the BATs, it is force the Alliance out of the zone without being so badly knackered that I can't carry on, so just diving in for that launch without regard to incoming damage is out of the question. Killing the BATs doesn't end the game so his fleet could still whack on mine afterwards.

Jack's previous attempts at defending stations have gone poorly, but I'm assuming he will have learnt from those.

Turn 1.

I go speed 8 whilst arming the PPDs and plasma. Alliance come out at speed 16. As they reach range 25 to my CLs they launch drones and fire at one of them. It has enough batteries/power to absorb most of it (about 19), ending with 5 shield damage. His ships turn off and circle back to base. I shoot a large number of drones down as they close, no point wasting fire on him at extreme range with his scouts.

Turn 2

I move to 16, and pull off the CL being droned. As the alliance is turning away I'm going to try and pull back to make the drones drop due to range issues. The other ships will slowly edge forwards to end outside BS range, but be ready to engage the alliance if they advance again. The drones tactic works and most drones just drop. The alliance do advance out again and fire/launch at the CA this time. They even fire some extreme range photons. Again batteries absorbs a great chunk of the fire, but they have a good set of volleys and the CA ends with a fair bit of damage to its #6. Jack is somewhat annoyed that I somehow end up at range 26 to the base Smile. This turn I do try and fire at the enemy ships though I need 1s to do anything, I roll terribly, only getting 3 1s in 38 dice Sad, then I wasn't expecting much.

I think it was at the end of the turn , he got some more fire in on the CA which included a double 1 on a pair of extreme range photons! on my #1. With no battery power left that hurt.

Turn 3.

There are now plenty of drones coming at the CA and plenty more that can come out over the turn. The enemy is near his base again but coming round to attack again. I clearly can't win a long range slugging match, so I'm going to head in and get the launch against the station, range 16 preferably but range 20 will do, though it will probably be only 10 plasma S as the CL that circled around is a bit behind the rest of the fleet.

As I move in the Kzinti ships fire early in the turn as they have reach range 15, and then circle back round to the base again. That leaves my CA quite badly hurting on another shield. I fire PPDs at the scout, which is also at range 15, that doesn't do quite as well as I'd hoped for, but it loses a shield and takes minor internals.

The Feds/gorn are coming up fast. The Feds have only half their photons ready, 3 being held as overloadeds,.there is also a wall of drones coming at my CA. Reaching range 20 is going to give him a range 8 shot but will allow me to turn and avoid the drones, reaching range 16 is looking dangerous as I will have to go through lots of drones, and probably get more launched at me, plus the plasma might be an issue if I try for range 16. I have to go for the range 20 launch, and see how that goes.

I launch at the base 10 Plasma S.

The Fed/Gorn then get to range 8 before I can turn and fire overloads at the CA, fortunately only 1 hits, but with some other fire my CA sees #3 down and a handful of internals. I return fire with 16 phaser 1s from my ships (that I'm about to turn out of arc) back at the Fed BC . The Alliance forget to sensor this fire (woohoo), and it almost loses #1. He then launches his Plasma at my ships (S at the DN and CA, Fs at the CLs).

In return I then launch 5 rear plasma F at the BC as it is now unable to turn fast enough to avoid some impacts after 2 or 3 impulses. They hit its #6 and #5 doing some decent internals. Some more of my phasers from my straggling CL that has now come up also hits the down shield.

The rest of the turn sees my ships out run the drones/plasma which again drop as I outrange his ships which have Emergency Decel'd in front of the BATs. They have stopped so they can shoot the plasma coming in.

The plasma run is weakened first by the Feds as it goes past them, then the stopped Kzinti as it comes up on them, and then impacts. Sensors, phaser 4s and 3s reduce the impact to just 45 points. Batteries take some and he loses a shield and a bit of armor.

We left the game there. I am way out of range, starting to reload. He is around his base, reloading photons/plasma/drones. My CA has taken 80 damage around the shields, but only a few internals. The Fed BC has more or less lost 3 shields and has taken a reasonable amount of internals, being down 9 power is nice (for me). His scout has bad shield damage on one side and some minor damage internally.

Its been a really good game so far. Jack has certainly learnt a lot from his 2 defeats and played a bad (for me) game so far, pretty much sticking to his strengths. Be interesting to see how it continues, whilst I've probably come off slightly better so far that still leaves a lot of advantages with the alliance. Its going to be hard using my CA now. On the other side the alliance will have problems using the Fed BC. I'm going to be reloading for at least 1 and maybe 2 turns, will the alliance come out to harras me? or will they take the time to reload etc as well?

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its certtainly been an intersting game so far. Still have fair amount of drone capacity. Shocked I must say that the ISC is current leading, but I have a turn to do more damage to him, before his PPDs reload. Rolling Eyes
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to use this game system for a small campaign with some friends, where exactly would I fit the Hydrans?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your decision essentially. We went for 3 empires for the Coalition and Alliance (to keep the numbers the same), and the hydrans were the obvious ones to drop (not being connected to the rest of the alliance).

It all depends on how much connection with the SFU geography you want.

For our 3 player version I'd probably just stick them with the alliance and not worry about it, it is after all just meant to be an abstraction. It is meant primarily to provide some interesting and meaningful battles with consequences. I like a little bit bit of the background to make it feel right, but I'm not personally that worried by the background detail.

If you had a 4th player you could put an extra branch off the coalition Hub for the hydrans, give the Coalition extra points (to accomdate that they have an extra branch to fight down). Probably give the hydrans less points as well.

If you have enough players you could probably have a hub per empire and a track connecting the appropiate ones etc. But I was wanting to get away from playing the same empire constantly, which is why we have gone mixed fleets for coalition/alliance.

At the end of the day do whatever you and your groups are happy with, we often just make things up on the spot when it comes to campaign stuff.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a couple of more turne the other night.

The evening started out awkward for me, the alliance ships mostly came out to harass me. I was going speed 8 which was safe enough, but with the BATs pinning the map in one corner I was running out of room and concerned about his potential drone mass with my manouverin room limited. EM mitigated most of the shooting, and the following turn I turned at him from the corner with PPDs. The alliance hadn't really put out the drones they could and that made life a lot easier. The damaged CA hung a bit back leaving my other ships at closer range brackets. The Fed NCA took 4 PPDs at range 9, which stripped its shields and did some internals (aim at power which worked). The alliance concentrated one of my CLs in return, which whilst hurting was a good exchange. Mass Plasma F launches at one of the kzinti command cruisers cuased it and the other commnd cruiser to turn away. The Fed NCA also HET'd out having lost its front shielding. That left the Gorn cruiser which made the mistake of not HET'ing out, and found itself alone and unable to escape mass phasers. It survived, just, thanks to the scouts EW.

I then turned back to regroup as I was by now somehwhat spread out myself.

I think I have the game now. The Gorn cruiser is just a few boxes off falling apart. The 2 Feds are having shield/power issues. Whilst no one has lost a ship yet (!) I have all my plasma S comig back up when we continue and the alliance are not in a real position to stop me without sacrificing ships. No doubt the alliance commander will feed propaganda to the opposite affect.

On the other hand all that does it keep me in the race, as I can't see the coalition losing their battle. I think there is currently a real possibility of a simultaneous assault on the Alliance home world. As the winner will be the last one standing (assuming the alliance SB is destroyed) that could make for a very interesting 3 way fight Shocked
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the game is over yet.

There still a BATS to kill! If Storeylf seriously thinks he can lauch 12 plasma S at range 16 and not lose a ship or ships. (He is living in another universive!)

I think he wil only be able to launch 10 at best, as a bucket of drones will be going at least one ship!

Further more I do have a new NCL on turn ten Smile Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: