Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor man's PF's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Poor man's PF's Reply with quote

I realize that the whole concept of PF's may have run its course, and will probably never make its way into the FC universe. Here's something I've tried -- use fleet scale frigates as PF's in a squad scale game. The point values are in the ballpark and the ships have a little more "race flavor" than the generic official PF's from SFB. Has anyone else tried this?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who said gunboats would never be in FC (even if only in BoM).
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get the feeling they're on the back, back burner. I'm new to the forums and I don't have the time to go back and read every thread, but there is a definite buzz about what's coming and what's not. If PFs are years down the road, I'm just trying to come up with something that suits me for the present. And who knows, I might find I'm not alone.
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm sound an interesting idea, a lest as an interim option. I know Steve is against to much discussion about rules for gun boats in FC and I think I know why (sure ill be corrected if am wrong Laughing ), I get the feeling they are on the back boiler at the mo and when they are addressed he want to do them justice with no pre conceptions in our minds from talk on this and the heritage site.

Having said this I am up to give this a go after we have finished our least campaign, if the lads are up for it.

Final before thing go to deep on the rules side and the cross over from SFB, I'm quite happy to forget about tender etc., so we can have a discussion about this with out it been locked (see previous threads on Gun Boat's/PF's) Wink
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a PF?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a PF?

Pseudo Fighter --- Gunboat --

SFU equivalent of a PT Boat --
ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pseudo fighter was the old term.

PF is now Patrol Fast.

Think WWII PT boat with PT meaning Patrol Torpedo
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFs are Fast Patrol Ships from Star Fleet Battles. (They were once called pseudo fighters, but that term has been dropped.)

They are either very small starships or very large fighters and because of the ambiguity they are classed by themselves. They are treated like starships for purposes of energy allocation, but they can carry packs similar to fighter dashpacks. They typically operate in squadrons of six and are deployed from specialized ships called tenders (PF Tenders. If you have ever seen a list of SFB ship classes you will see things like the D6PFT...that's a tender.) Basically, six of these little ships would dock to a mothership and be carried into combat and then (with any luck) be carried back home.

Most empires created them to add firepower to their fleets about the time of the General War. The Federation did not make them.

They are sometimes assigned to bases as defensive units.

Before the PFs there were interceptors, which are similar to PFs, but if you can believe it, even smaller.

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a PF card four or five years ago. Just found it and sent it to Joel to put into commander's circle. It should get there sometime today. When somebody finds it, please add a link here.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see how Alpha Octant PF rules work in FC/BoM, if only so I can then try to figure out how to pick them apart and re-work them in order to support gunboats as seen over in the Omega Octant.

(SFB Module Omega 5 includes gunboats for several Omega Octant empires; which, unlike Alpha PFs, have quite a bit of variety in terms of how big they are, how many operate in a flotilla, and what kind of weapons loadouts they have on offer. One key element of them is in their "volatile warp" engines; which have a somewhat Orion-esque afterburner function built into their operation.)

EDIT: G1L Ship Card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: