Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay weirdos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: eBay weirdos Reply with quote

If not for eBay and Amazon, I wouldn't have a quarter of the FC stuff I do, but I just don't understand some sellers. During the Christmas shopping season, I notice one seller in particular was raising the price on their squadron boxes A) perhaps because they thought the new 2500's would cause a run on 2400's, but B) not real smart, because nobody else raised their prices. Now I notice that same seller has raised the price of their BOOSTER PACKS to more than double the retail price ($20+). ???? Ship cards are not going to change for a new line of minis. Do they just not get it? or are they on the crest of a wave that the rest of us don't see coming?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new thing on e-bay is they now charge a fee on shipping price, same as they do for the sale price --
So some kick up prices to cover "free shipping"

Then there are sellers that have no clue about items, except for what they go for retail --

The other day, wrote a seller about using "Star Fleet Battles" vs "Starfleet Battles" (Nexus/CLs in buy now auctions, but haven't seen a change yet) --

Boosters prices are bad enough, but have you seen the prices on the single painted minis, even worse ($20 for a Frigate or light cruiser a bit much) ---
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a digital age variation on old tricks.

I used to work for a PC service company that did fun stuff like mark-up the price of shipping and handling on parts (above and beyond the actual UPS S&H cost) on top of their margin for the part.

As far as the price of painted minis goes, well that's fair game, I mean folks who will pay that probably could not even paint a wall by themselves in an even fashion let alone do detail work on a mini. You are paying for someone else's painting skill with that.

Also those sellers who set the price high, they are a patient sort, that is they will keep it up there, and wait for someone to log-in when no other comparable items are available, and they get the impulse buy (by virtue of being the only one for sale at that moment). Basically its a play on buyer impatience.

Buy low, sell high Smile

They are just opportunists is all (and yea given that the Starline 2500s are delayed till June will grant them those sorts of opportunities to accommodate the impatient (at a premium).

EDIT:

Oh and as far as ebay weirdos go, I am really annoyed by the sellers who list Micro Machines and FASA minis like they are the same thing!
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do ebay mostly for things I can't get here in the boonies (NC mountain country), though for years I'll picked up "firesale priced lots" of mini's ---

Yet to get around to putting them back up ----

I'm always seeing things with outrageous prices, but when a game related paperback goes for $100+ (First Battletech novel), or game magazine (Jadgpanther) listed at $115, you know there are some just out there to get what they can from the ones with too much money or the smarts to know what something is worth ---
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I fell for the whole FASA/micromachines thing once. I paid $15-$20 for what was advertised as a FASA D-7 -- well worth it IF it had been an actual FASA mini. It was a nice mini, more so than the 2400 one-piece blob, but clearly NOT a FASA D-7. Since then I've learned to take the FASA moniker with a grain of salt unless there's a really good non-stock photo of the item.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can buy JagdPanther on e23 for $10.

(#1 is there now, #2 is being uploaded, and the rest will follow at intervals of 2-4 weeks)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen no end of baloney claims on Ebay.

Unavailable for years
rare, out of production

those mean "Unless you knew about the ADB shopping cart" which the poster clearly did since he stole the art from the cart.

FASA ships are often 2200 or 2300 ADB ships if not 2400s.
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinshi wrote:
Oh and as far as ebay weirdos go, I am really annoyed by the sellers who list Micro Machines and FASA minis like they are the same thing!

Ditto me 100% - this is really annoying. I know the Seller wants to lure as many Buyers as he/she can to their auction, but...
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's worse is the ones that still get/have SL2200s and list them as Lead Free -- Guess they don't believe what's written on the package ---

Had to remind one seller the SL2500s were Resin, he had some listed as lead free metal --

Then there are many buyers that just want something in a hurry and rush to get something without checking out whether they can get them somewhere else/less expensively ---
As I say "more money than sense" ---
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay also taught my first lesson in piracy when I bought a mini cast in resin (had no clue what that meant) that literally snapped in two in my hand. Some joker was obviously cranking out his own minis. Evil or Very Mad After that, in my mind resin = cheap and brittle. So I was understandably alarmed when the 2500's were announced to be made of resin. However, my fears were put to rest when I got to handle ADB's demo 2500's at their office last November. They are NOT cheap and brittle. So shame on you eBay weirdos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: