Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starline 2500 Announcement 2/20/2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Starline 2500 Announcement 2/20/2012 Reply with quote

The below is Matthew Sprange's post from a few minutes ago, which ADB approved.

Production Change of Star Fleet 2500 Models
===
You will be aware that the new range of Star fleet models has had some problems with both consistent quality and in getting enough models out of the door in order to satisfy the large number of orders we had. For both of these, you have our unreserved apologies. Despite our trial runs in resin casting last year going well, we ran into a number of problems when scaling up to wider production runs.
====
We have therefore made the decision to alter the way we produce these ships. Larger models, such as the C8 and Condor Dreadnoughts, as well as the various bases and stations, will remain in resin. However, all the smaller ships will be switched to metal production using systems we know extremely well. In one stroke, this will relieve the pressure on the resin casting team, bring this range up to our usual quality of casting, and allow us to produce as many models required to not only service all existing orders, but make a convincing world-wide launch with models people can be confident in.
====
The process for this change is already well under way, and while production and shipping of the Federation squadron and fleet sets will continue, we are temporarily suspending sale of the other box sets for just a few days.
====
We expect to be up and running with the metal Romulan squadron set by this time next week, with the Klingon squadron and Romulan fleet set a few days after that. By the end of the week after next, we expect to be in full production of not only the Klingon fleet set but the two Federation sets as well, which will at that time also switch to metal.
====
To give an example of the change this will have, not only will our casters be working with a material they have been using for the best part of two decades (at least), they will be able to produce (for instance) as many Romulan squadron sets in three days as have been ordered in total since the line was announced. This is obviously much, much faster than our current methods.
=====
Any remaining mail orders will now be given absolute priority, and we are expecting to be able to make a world-wide launch through distribution channels towards the end of March - we will keep you all updated when firm dates have been set. You will also now find that fleets such as the Gorn and Kziniti will be turned around much quicker. If you have pre-ordered either, you will see them within a month or so of the world launch.
=====
Once again, our deepest apologies for the delays and hiccups, but I believe we have the measure of this now, and Star Fleet goodness will be pouring out of our warehouse starting next week.
======================

SVC notes: Matthew advises that for those who absolfreakinglutly want resin and nothing else, procedures will be announced allowing you to get resin ships. If you have pre-orders on file and want resin and only resin, contact Mongoose ASAP.
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for having a "back door" so that those of us "resin" folks (Who, I'll admit, we are weird) can still go resin for our ships! Smile

I don't know... I'm really into the NCA... and it doesn't really have nacelle pylons. Maybe I'll take a look and see if it will work.

-------
Guy Davis
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want resin, you'll need to email Matthew Sprange. If you don't have his email address, PM me for it.
The_Rock
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent. Very disappointing resolution.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I know it is frustrating for many people. This is how SVC explained the choices back on the BBS:

Just to make clear what was going on. There were three options:

1. resin from China: Nice thought but this proved too expensive. It may be looked at again another day.

2. take a big deep breath and keep doing what we're doing and just by golly doing it better. That would have involve people from ADB-Texas driving to Ohio, not ta take over, but to help train (and write a written manual for) a quality control inspector. This was a horrible plan for many reasons. (Expense, time away from my desk, the fact that the key man -- Mike Sparks -- could not go for two weeks due to family issues, Robert being terrified that I was there to take over, the very real chance that my ego would exceed my self control and I'd try to take over and Robert would shove my head into the resin pot, and so forth.) Matthew would have taken my offer had it come to this, but we all knew that plan 2 was never going to work with or without my help. We already tried plan 2 and it already didn't work.

3. Switch to metal, which Robert Glass is an expert at dealing with, and which is much faster to do, and ultimately less expensive as any problems can just be melted back down. That's the one we picked. In the end, I'm actually quite happy with this plan.

There is a resolution to get resin and that is to email Matthew. I'm sort of seeing this as the best of both worlds, perhaps? But then I'm well-known as a Pollyanna-ish type person, too.
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of white metal miniatures, but before I poo-poo the plan I'm eager to give the new ones the old college try. I appreciate the considerations that went into addressing the quality and quantity issues and look forward Starline 2500.1
Valander
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand the reason for the decision, even if I'm not as interested in the models if they're metal.

Of course, I preordered through my LGS back in November, and haven't cancelled the order. Now I'm wondering:

1. Will this switch be permanent, or only until production gets caught up?
2. What will the distributors get if/when the line is "relaunched" in March?

If the answer to the first is "permanent," then I'll just have to bite the bullet and leave the order open and get the metal when it finally becomes available. If it's "temporary," then #2 becomes much more important, as it might mean I need to cancel the order for a while to ensure that I don't wind up with metal if resin will again become available through normal retail.

Any info that could be shared on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From SVC on the BBS:

The distributors will get metal. Probably no resin through the stores.

This is all but certainly a permanent change for regular production. (I already discussed how special order resin production might play out.)
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, I'm a little confused: Do I need to email Matthew NOW for things that aren't available (I.E. The FFB and the NCA)? Or do I wait until they are available THEN email Matthew for resin versions?

For that matter, can we see what a metal version will look like? I mean, I whine a lot about metal minis... but honestly I'm willing to give it a fair shake! Smile

-------
Guy Davis
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aabh, I would let Matthew know my preferences so that he has a feel for who wants what.
Aabh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, would you please PM me with Matthew's email?

I'll request a few resin NCA's an NCL or two and some FFB's then I'll join in on seeing where things go with the metal minis.

I don't want to be a holdout. If we presume that the metals will be made from the same molds as the Resins, they should be just fine. Heavy, but fine Very Happy

-------
Guy Davis
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... they will not be made from the same molds.
Casting metal and casting resin aretwo separate issues and ivolve two separate processes and differnet molds.

that's why they can not at this point say, "Yes. We will continue to produce the entire range in both materials."
They need an idea of how many of us will hold out for the resin minis to determine if the demand will justify the expense of two sets of molds and two completely different casting processes.

I have emailed MKatthew with a long post detailing my preferences and concerns.
We'll see how it goes from there.
Valander
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
From SVC on the BBS:

The distributors will get metal. Probably no resin through the stores.

This is all but certainly a permanent change for regular production. (I already discussed how special order resin production might play out.)
Thanks for the info, Jean.

I must admit I am pretty disappointed, but also realize how hard ADB has worked to fix what became a really bad situation in a lot of people's eyes. I think at this time I'm going to have to cancel my order, and put this on the back burner. If/when Mongoose can get things going smoothly, and the quality of metal models is known, then I might try again. I just know that even though I am an old SFBer, the interest hat was around in my group for a while when the new minis line was announced is now gone, so there's little point in me rushing to get models since now nobody is interested.

At least I have gotten a few of them willing to do SFB with counters, but pretty sure ACtA is now DoA around here. Sad
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoutDad: I guess I should rephrase my question: Will the molds of the metal minis be of Sandrine's designs? If so, they should -at least- look like the resin mini's ... right? For example: If I were to paint a resin BC and a metal BC you shouldn't be able to tell without lifting them, is that correct?

I think I would be not ecstatic about metal, but if that's the case, I'll live Smile

I'd still like to get a few resins before they swap over.

-------
Guy Davis
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The metal minis will still be based on Sandrines #d CAD designs, so hopefully if there is a painted resin BC and a painted pewter BC sitting side-by-side, the only way to tell which is which will be to lift them up...
or blow them over and see which requires less pressure... or heat the room to see whcih melts first... etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: