Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroclix Star Trek Tactics Size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Art
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Heroclix Star Trek Tactics Size? Reply with quote

First post. Long time SFB player. Newly into Fed Comm.

I'm painting a couple of 2400 series miniatures, which I'll share on the forums in another post header.

My question is if anyone has acquired any of the new heroclix star trek tactics miniatures yet? I realize that they are not to scale within themselves, but I was hoping some of them might me similar in size to a 2400 series miniature.

How do ST Tactics miniatures compare in size to 2400 series miniatures? I would prefer 2400 miniatures in general, but I realize the extents of ADB's license agreements. And, it would be cool to have some "modern" miniatures to play SFB / Fed Comm with. In general I like the old-school designs from the original series, but a couple of the klingon battle cruisers look cool.

FIRE THE DISRUPTORS!
Zyffyr
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the ship lengths are listed in a thread over at Starship Combat News : http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8053&start=60
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is comparing apples to oranges to bananas, but here goes: My wife just got a Heroclix Reliant (yes she plays FC). An old, out-of-production company called FASA made a Reliant miniature for their game system in the 80's. Their scale was similar if not identical to the Starline miniatures.
SO, comparing the two, the Heroclix mini is nearly a half inch shorter than the FASA. If Heroclix keeps their scale consistent, then their miniatures are just a bit too small.
But a cool ship is still a cool ship. We're going to try it out as an NCL Smile
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS -- Love the portrait Laughing
Zyffyr
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacecowboy87 wrote:
If Heroclix keeps their scale consistent, then their miniatures are just a bit too small.

They aren't even close to consistent in the scale.

The Excelsior and Constitution II (Enterprise-A) figures are both 63mm long, despite the fact that the Excelsior is a bit over 50% longer.

Or compare the Reliant (55mm) to the Defiant (51mm). Reliant is supposed to be twice the length of Defiant.

My favorite comparison, however, is Sabre Class (223m long ship, 49mm figure) to the B'Rel (110m ship, 51mm figure).

The ship sizes are based more on Rule Of Cool than on anything resembling a particular scale.

Anyway, the K'Tinga, at aproximately 1/3300, is reasonably close to the 2500 line. None are particularly close to the 2400s.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just saw this thread. I am buying the Heroclix to add to the collection as X ships. They are very nice, but there is no "scale" for them, besides box scale. That is like Hot Wheels: they are made to fit the box. So small ships tend to look big, and big ships look small.

The Enterprise-A is about 10% smaller than the Fed CA 2400 mini. The Klingon Bird of Prey looks bigger than the Vor'cha battleship, which looks about the same size as the Klingon D7, even though it is, in fact, way bigger.

However, they look nice. The children in the Chinese sweatshops painting these things do a good job. They are all sprayed with a gloss finish, which look especially odd on the Klingons.

I don't mind mixing these on the game board. Scale is less important to me than knowing which ship is which. Besides, a hex is 10,00km. I don't think any mini is in scale with that. LOL

If you want to see them, check out some pics I made here: http://ericphillips.info/media/battle.htm

Even though I have the clicky bases still on some, I am replacing them with standard size bases.
bluebirds38
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
Hey, I just saw this thread. I am buying the Heroclix to add to the collection as X ships. They are very nice, but there is no "scale" for them, besides box scale. That is like Hot Wheels: they are made to fit the box. So small ships tend to look big, and big ships look small.

The Enterprise-A is about 10% smaller than the Fed CA 2400 mini. The Klingon Bird of Prey looks bigger than the Vor'cha battleship, which looks about the same size as the Klingon D7, even though it is, in fact, way bigger.

However, they look nice. The children in the Chinese sweatshops painting these things do a good job. They are all sprayed with a gloss finish, which look especially odd on the Klingons.

I don't mind mixing these on the game board. Scale is less important to me than knowing which ship is which. Besides, a hex is 10,00km. I don't think any mini is in scale with that. LOL

If you want to see them, check out some pics I made here: http://ericphillips.info/media/battle.htm

Even though I have the clicky bases still on some, I am replacing them with standard size bases.

that's what i'm doing with the star trek heroclix, i use them as x ships.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: