Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Old Light Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: The Old Light Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi,
Looking for specs on the Old Light Cruiser: Length, Width, Height, Number of decks.
Where is the hanger deck, by the way?
I have GURPS Feds, so I have crew compliment.

Thanks in Advance!!
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until now, none of that data was adresed. With the new Starline 2500 minis all being designed to be on the same scale, we will soon be able to estimate the size of most ships in SFU.

I just took some measurments on the screen-shot of the CA and oCL image (I hope it was the most current version), and the oCL body is roughly 173 meters long (not counting warp drive) by 85 meters wide by 18 meters thick (not including the 5-meter tall bridge dome). It should easily have five decks, tho only one will be full width of the ship due to the oval cross-section.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shuttlebay door is centered, on the rear face, and always has been (even on the old metal mini).
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data posted on the CL is as good as anything I have.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a start. I appreciate the help.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:

I just took some measurments on the screen-shot of the CA and oCL image (I hope it was the most current version), and the oCL body is roughly 173 meters long (not counting warp drive) by 85 meters wide by 18 meters thick (not including the 5-meter tall bridge dome). It should easily have five decks, tho only one will be full width of the ship due to the oval cross-section.

18 meters thick? Isn't that a little thin
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. It wasn't as if I could do better than close approximations. I tried to go back and re-look at the imagery to see if I guessed wrong, but those topics are closed. If anyone has ST-2500 Fed minis, we can have them take some measurements.

gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can kludge something from the stats from the BURKE-class Frigate and a Franz Josef ship.

Thanks.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Fed minis. After measuring, I found the oCL mini is 54.5 mm long (body only, no warp drives) by 26.25 mm wide by 6.00 mm thick at the max points (not including bridge). However, the band the wraps around the ship just aft of the bridge throws the numbers off. Measuring the hull, I found it to be 20.75 mm wide by 5.00 mm thick.

At a scale of 1:3125, it's 170 meters long by 65 meters wide by 15.625 meters thick. Including the band, it's 82 meters wide by 18.75 meters thick. The "neck" between the for and aft sections is 36 meters wide at the narrowest.

At 15.625 meters, the ship is easily five decks thick, four of you want crawl spaces between the decks. Of course, it's always just as easy to fudge the numbers up "slightly".

gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That length is close to what I read in GURPS Federation, that the OLC is 75% the size of the heavy.

Thanks.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to measure out the oCL mini to port it into Floor Plan Plus. I do NOT intend to map out the entire deck plans, but I will get the basic outline started and coverted to GIF image for someone else to take over.

Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to account for the fact that the OCL has an armored hull all-around. So some of that thickness should be considered with this in mind.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor in the SFU isn't thick hull plating. The name "Armor" is a bit of a misnomer. Then again, so is "Shields"; it's not like the ships are surrounded by escutcheons Wink

SFU "armor" on a ship is banks of capacitance/dispersal units and other technological means of mitigating an enemy attack. There might be some extra hull thickness or some ablative coatings, but most of the function of dealing with damaging energy (plasma, electricity, heat, hard radiation, etc.) comes from the "armor" units performing their function actively (like modern-day "reactive armor" which explodes to disperse an attacking weapon's effects), as-opposed to the passive approach of traditional armor plate.

Nick Blank's deck plans for the Snipe showed the armor as an array of diamond shaped features, in the same sizing as the water and other consumables tanks that would normally fill the void space between the inner pressure hull and the outer hull plates.

Basically, instead of sticking consumables around the inner hull, the old ships stuck these sacrificial "armor" units. They act a bit like a modern surge protector - if a large amount of energy hits them, they take in that energy and direct it away from critical ship's systems, destroying themselves in the process. They can be replaced but it is difficult work (thus the high repair cost, in both SFB and FC).

Note that I avoided using the word "absorb" in the description I gave. SFU armor has nothing to do with Andromedan Power Absorber Panels (or at least not a lot to do with them; nobody *really* understands Andromedan technology except the Andromedans and they're not talking).

I'll also note that this modern interpretation of "armor" in the SFU evolved over time and there might be references in old fiction or flavor text that doesn't grok with it.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not entirely true in all cases; for the Trobrin Empire, the armor boxes do count as discrete belts (which, in some cases, can be removed to make space for other systems; as was done when some of the side belts on the Trobrin deep space dreadnought were taken out to make way for repair systems in the conversion to a space control ship).

In their case, part of the reason for this is also due to their unique physiology; the silicate Trobrin consume rock as their staple diet, so for them the armor literally counts as an emergency food source on extended patrol missions!

But in the case of the OCL (or its related designs in the Federation and Federal Republic), I would agree that the kind of ablative crystals shown on the Snipe deck plans would probably be fairly representative of how those Terran (and Auroran) armorclads work.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: