Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What was actually in the Starline 2300 range?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: What was actually in the Starline 2300 range? Reply with quote

With all the discussions going on about the new Starline 2500 miniatures, I had a thought about my current SFB/FC miniature collection. Mostly Starline 2200's, with some Starline 2400's. And one lone blister of Starline 2300 Tholians.

As I understand it, the 2200's were the lead, multi-piece kits, and the 2400's were the one piece (as far as possible) pewter minis. The 2300 range Tholians I have, PC hulls, were larger, but with hardly any hull details (I used them as destroyers).

So, my question, as the title of the thread suggests is, what was actually available as Starline 2300 minis?

Mark

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I miss my guess, Starline 2300 was just the Starline 2200, but in pewter instead of lead.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would the Tholian PC seem to be a different sculpt? It's slightly larger, but doesn't have ANY of the ribbed detail of the 2200 mini? It almost looks like a simple boardgame piece that happens to be shaped like a Tholian PC.

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes molds wear out and master-copies can't be found to make new ones. Sometimes ships get re-done because it has always been known something was wrong with the old one. Any number of reasons.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost looks like a simple boardgame piece that happens to be shaped like a Tholian PC.

Possible you got a T-Type out of the Gamescience line --- They are a bit different than the SL2200 PCs --
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the 'T type' from the "Star Fleet Battle Manual" by Lou Zocchi and Micheal Scott Kurtick, made at the same time as the original Lou Zocchi plastic minis? Cool! Cool

So, does anyone know if anything else was produced by Gamescience for the Battle Manual that wasn't SL2200 then?

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was the K-Type (Klingon, single piece D-7)
The R-Type (Romulan, basically the WE, slightly larger IIRC)

The plastic Feds out of the Fleet Box #2 and now Sqd Box #91,
though sold through TFG then ADB are Zocchi/Gamescience minis
(DN, CA, DD, SC, Tug: which at some point came in White, Glow in Dark and Clear) ---
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting, I thought one piece D-7's first came from FASA (!) and eventually from ADB with the 2400's. I'd love to see if anyone here had pictures of these original D-7's and War Eagle's.

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a K-Type still in the Gamescience package, probably have an R-Type laying around (don't know if I could ID it from the SL2200s) ----

If anyone has them painted and photographed, it would be Scoutdad ---
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Have a K-Type still in the Gamescience package, probably have an R-Type laying around (don't know if I could ID it from the SL2200s) ----

If anyone has them painted and photographed, it would be Scoutdad ---

That's got a good possibility of being true, or maybe djdood? (Hi, Tony and Will!) Very Happy

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my box of Romulans with just a basecoat, I have a few SL2200 Warbirds and something about 1/3 larger, which I can only assume is the R-Type ---
It has the same hole that fits the gimble, which goes on the old Zocchi stands for the WBs and Orion minis ---

Maybe get myself back into painting and finish off a few of the minis just collecting dust ---
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that the larger R-Type Eagle is NOT the same as this one in the pic below?

I can't remember what this is used for now, but it was the War Bird/Eagle for SL2400 originally, wasn't it? (although I'm prepared to be corrected on this)

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini in that picture is what is now called the Battlehawk. IIRC, it was the SL2300 War Eagle (although, I was out of the hobby during the 2300 series production).

That mini was the first attempt to make a scale-correct WE (the 2200 War Bird/War Eagle was *far* too small and is now sold as the Snipe frigate). It was scaled up again with the modern, 3D-printed SL2400 WE.

The old 4-piece, lead Klingon D-hull minis are the Gamescience version. Most have a Gamescience copyright engraved on the bottom face of the rear hull. I think this same mold was also used for the Task Force Games Starline 2200 mini - I'd have to go look at my 1984 vintage one (from the box set!) to be sure.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a look at the paperwork in the GameScience D-7, it lists two different D-7 models --- Can't say when they added the single piece

trynda1701,
After thinking about it, the Tholian you have, may be a Cmd Module for a Neo-Tholian, they are similar to the PC but have some differences (one being a peg to attach to the Main Hull and no stand hole) ---
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palns with the wife for this morning, but will dig out info and post later.

I have some of the one piece D7s, errr... Type-K starships painted up (surprise! Wink ).

I also have some of the Type-T starships. These are somewhat larger than the PCs and have a "different" level of detailing. I use these as DD miniatures since they are bigger then the PCs and visually distinct.

I'll post photos later this evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: