Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed DD vs DDM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattruh
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Fed DD vs DDM Reply with quote

I was just comparing the Fed DD and DDM. The middle years master ship chart allows both to be used, as does the standard master ship chart. I am starting to think the DDM is a better ship. It has slightly better power performance. If both ships go speed 16, the DDM can fire all weapons and load/partially overload torps with a point of reserve power. If the DD tries that, it has only battery power left. The DDM also appears to be tougher, with 2 more center hull boxes and 4 extra labs to soak up hits. The DDM also has a better turn mode (C vs D). The main strengths of the DD that I can see are much heavier firepower, thanks to 2 more photons, one drone, and two ph-3s, and greater point defense, thanks again to the ph-3s and anti-drones. The DD does also have 3 more total boxes, so it can take slightly more damage. Overall, I think I'd rather take the cheaper DDM. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if I fly the standard DD as if it only had 2 photons (or sometimes 3), it becomes a much better ship. This allows a few points of extra power for movement, etc, and 1-2 unused photons to soak up damage before having to possibly destroy a loaded photon.

Garrett
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are comparing the DDM to the DD, make sure you are looking at the correct DD. It looks like you are comparing the DDM to the General War DD, in which case the DD is the much superior ship, given its greater power and better weapons.

To make the comparison valid, you really need to compare it to the DD that has the little "Middle Years" mark on it, like you see on the DDM. That DD is basically identical to the DDM, except that it has two less hull and two more photons.

When making the comparison between the two Middle Years ships, I still think the DD is better. Sure, those two hull look like two free hits. It can also be hard to have four photons you can't afford to load. But look at it this way: Those two extra hull are going to be lost when you get a generic "hull" hit. Those two extra photons are only going to be lost when you get a "torp" hit. Therefore, the last two photons on the DD are going to last way longer than the only two photons on the DDM.

Put another way, if both ships are flown with such that only two photons are ever loaded at any given time, the DD is more durable since it gets two free "torp" hits before its heavy weapons are affected. Plus, depending on circumstances, you still have the option to slow down and arm one or two more photons. So, the DD is more durable AND more flexible. Sounds like a win-win to me ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gar1138 wrote:
I've found that if I fly the standard DD as if it only had 2 photons (or sometimes 3), it becomes a much better ship. This allows a few points of extra power for movement, etc, and 1-2 unused photons to soak up damage before having to possibly destroy a loaded photon.

Garrett

Still, you can't take me down. I'll fight you with a Fed POL, you in the DD, and I will TAKE YOU DOWN, Garrett.

(I thought if I rile you up you might come on FCOL and fight me. Did it work?)
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are the turn modes different?
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogie wrote:
Why are the turn modes different?

Looks like they all have a turn mode of C, except for the first one published in Communique 3 & 5 (which was turn mode D). My guess is that the early one with turn mode D was for the first playtest and the published one of C is correct.

Garrett

Eric, I'll try to find some time to get on FCOL again soon. Smile
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mistake maybe? All DDs and variants (including scouts) are turn mode C in SFB. The Heavy DDs are D.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DDM, DD(MY), DD, DDL, DDG, and SC all have a turn mode of C.

Those very early versions were likely cribbed from a CA ship card, and the turn mode was just initially missed, though later corrected.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: