Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D-17 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like the design so much that I'm calling it a new brand name (megacruiser) and redesigning the old playtest SSD to match the new miniature.
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were would a mega cruiser fall. Im thinking between dn and battleship but not shure. Regardless i like the design and am curious to see what else might be floating around. I buy not for just game play but also cause i like the minis, and more is better even if i only use the odd ones in situational settings.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to wait and see the SSD!
bluebirds38
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to the ssd.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a long wait. I told Matthew I am not allowing the D17 to go live (not mini produced, no SSD or ship description published) until the C18, C17, D15, and F15 are all ready to go with it, SSDs and minis. He said that might be 2013 or later as I insist on seeing an actual mini before finalizing the D17 SSD.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long wait but I am excited to see new Klingon designs.

Feds have visual variety in Franz Joseph ships vs. NCA/NCL/DW vs. OCA/OCL
Romulans have visual variety in 1st Gen vs. KR series vs. Hawk series.
Seems appropriate for the Klingons to now have equivalent visual variety.

Hopefully the weapons layouts will be different enough to allow variety in tactics too? Just like Romulan 1st Gen, KR series and Hawk series all have different variations in tactics.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the rear hull phasers are just divided into two equal batteries, RX and FX. The disruptors do not change.

What I am mostly thinking of is adding 10-12 "soft" boxes to the D7 (forward hull, lab, others) to bring it up to the "heft" of the Fed CA.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
What I am mostly thinking of is adding 10-12 "soft" boxes to the D7 (forward hull, lab, others) to bring it up to the "heft" of the Fed CA.

Well, if you do that, please give them some corresponding disadvantage to help make up for that. Maybe like a slightly worse turn mode, loss of a drone, or something like that. Something to show that trade-offs were made.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K17R, is being pined for already Very Happy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
The K17R, is being pined for already Very Happy

Honestly, I am hoping no such ship is made. Really, can't the Klingons make even one ship that isn't appropriated by the Romulans? I mean, really, can't the Romulans make their own ships at some point?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I really like and enjoy the existing Kestrels, and heavily pushed for the K7R and KDR (the KDR didn't make it for various reasons) in Reinforcements Attack. But these are supposed to be special ships for the Klingons. Let's let them be exactly that. If the Romulans "need" their own special ships, they can get some of their own.

Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do them mike? Just for the sake of not doing them? I personally enjoy the shared ship motif and enjoy the different nuances the ships take. I would actually prefer Star Fleet Battles versions anyway. That being said it was mostly a joke. We know how most people here feel about the Romulans Sad
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also where would romulan's get special ships, they are doomed to having their "special" ship a modified sparrow hawk, as a side note if a Firehawk is a battle cruiser so is an NCA
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your first question, yes, just for the sake of not doing them. Which, I want to point out, is no less specious an argument than wanting conjectural versions of conjectural ships just for the sake of doing them.

On the second question, who knows what such ships would look like. I imagine they would need to be invented first. That said, I doubt they would have anything to do with the 'hawk' ships, as the whole point would be to have something different. These Klingon ships will be different; I imagine any corresponding 'special' Romulans would be different, too. Maybe they could be designed with the "old style" armament approach, but with "beefier" hulls. (I.e. a cruiser built around a Pl-R and 2xPl-F, but with the internal systems of a D7 or Fed CA. A dreadnought built around 2xPl-R and other stuff with the heft of a C8 or Fed DNG.) Then style them as close as you can to "modern" Romulans without triggering lawsuits.

Also, remember that this is just my opinion. If enough people think there needs to be conjectural Romulan versions of conjectural Klingon ships because it simply isn't acceptable to leave even one Klingon ship untouched, then those ships will be made.

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if as described in Stellar Shadows, since the Klingon Fleet wasn't buying them, wouldn't the shipyards try to sell them somewhere else, the Romulans would have been the perfect customer ----

But as described in SS, would there have been enough booms available
Could have replaced production in D-6 yards ----
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see any reason not to have KR versions of them, but we don't even have the Klingon version yet, so let's not get carried away.

I don't see the Klingons reducing weapons load at all. I can see them saying they'd take one letter worse turn mode in exchange for the added heft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: