Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Fleet Marines News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Marines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inan,
Space based weapons was one thing most players ignored in Centurian,
very few used them in Battletech ---

Not what the games are about, mainly a feature used by munchin players with little tactical skills ---
Inari7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobo_MK_XL

If I was the designer of SFM I would not allow use the weapons from starships to unbalance the game , but as artillery or as air strikes are used today.

Not in the way you are suggesting, in a munchkin like way.

Space based weapons unbalanced in Centurian, and Battlech, who would have thunk?

Clans anyone?

(Iggy Pop)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFU has long ago declared that phaser stun thing in the mob story to be nonsense.

A company has 9 squads, but with attachments that creeps up to 12 or even 14.

A battalion has 27 which tends to creep up to 40 or so with weapons, scouts, engineers, snipers, etc.
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

Will there be rules for Starship to planet ground support?
Sure, Fire phaser, entire map explodes.

Really?

That is disappointing.

I could see how it could be used as a crutch...or perhaps "abused" would be a better way to put it. TPTB screwed up Battletech royally with that nonsense.

However, I would think that "surgical strikes" by phasers would be useful now and then. Clearing an LZ before I beam down my troops. Removing a particularly stubborn field emplacement or denying the enemy movement or access.

Agree that stunning a bunch of goons in bad suits with goofy hats was ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Not that it would always be possible, what with the ship itself having to deal with planetary defenses and enemy ships. Trying to "burn-down" an enemy emplacement while dodging phaser-4 fire would suck.

Drones would be useless as support...unless there were some type of non-nuke option.
Blech, I wouldn't even want to begin to mess with that.

Last resort sure, if you want to deny the enemy a resource you have no hope to capture or retain.
"I say we get the hell off this putrid Kzinti rock and nuke the site from orbit...its the only way to be sure." Wink
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in SFB there is already an anti-personnel ship-to-planet weapon: Transporter Artillery.

If ship board phasers were necessary for the mission, I highly doubt ground troops would have been sent in.
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdillman wrote:
If ship board phasers were necessary for the mission, I highly doubt ground troops would have been sent in.

Couldn't disagree more. It doesn't always have to be part of planetside operations, but as history blatantly shows, no plan survives contact with the enemy and a couple of phaser strikes on the enemy might just be the difference between victory or defeat.

Forgot about the transporter artillery. Nasty stuff there. Twisted Evil

So is this product completely different from Module M? Compatible?
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would equate Star Ship weapons use in SFM to using Nukes in Squad Leader ----

The game was designed for Marine vs Marine (whatever each Empire calls them), if that's not what you want to play then the games not for you ---
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, SFM is suppose to be compatable with Module M. Not the same, but, most of the equipment and the likes will be there.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship weapons cannot "surgically target" small things like squads. They just cannot do it. That's what trasnporter artillery is for.

In another sense, there is no point in playing the game if one side has ship-weapon fire support on any reasonable level.

Fred: You landed 6 six squads. HA! I have an entire battalion of troops, 27 rifle squads, plus vehicles, heavy weapons, engineer, commandos, and snipers.

Bill: Firing shipboard weapons. Two-thirds of your troops are dead.

Fred: run!

Bill: turn #2, Firing shipboard weapons. You now have only that one squad in the northwest corner. He wasn't close enough to anything else for me to get him with six phaser shots. Do you want to move him off the map or do you want me to kill him next turn?
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Fleet Marines: Assault is now available from our storefront. We encourage you to support your local game store, but if there isn't a local one, then feel free to order it from us. We will ship this game to customers next week, about mid-week.

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=2101&Category_Code=09
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Newly updated for 2012, Module T-2012 is the replacement for Module T-2000 first released in 2000. The new version has an 86-page rulebook that also has information for conducting a tournament for any games currently in the Star Fleet Universe, including Star Fleet Battles, Federation Commander, Federation & Empire, Star Fleet Battle Force, A Call To Arms: Star Fleet, and Starmada. It also has a 28-page SSD book including the 18 authorized and 10 experimental tournament ship SSDs, including the Borak and Peladine tournament ships. Also included are the Star Fleet Battles tournament countersheet, an ammunition countersheet and a standard 4230 Star Fleet Battles map."

Uh, whops? Smile
rexbinary
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed my order. I have really been looking forward to this product. Thanks!
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper, we caught that and have put up a quick fix. Smile We'll probably edit the blurb a bit more when Leanna is there to do the real fix.

Thanks for looking out for us on that though!
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered!

Like how the picture of the map was added to the product discription!!
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a copy ordered through my FLGS. Have to wait for one of them to get the game in before it can be sent here. Figure two weeks or so before I get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Marines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: