Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeker/Striker Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Seeker/Striker Question Reply with quote

For personal use only:

If one were to kitbash a mini to use for the seeker and striker, what other mini would be good to use for size comparison?

Federation Express Fast Courier, Armed Priority Transport, Federation Police Ship, Civilian Free Trader?

Last edited by wedge_hammersteel on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been toying with doing some Skiffs too, especially now that they're in FedCom.

Right now, I'm trying to find pre-existing craft "jewels" that might have a similar wedge shape and the right size. That way, I don't have to sculpt from scratch. If I can just buy a bag of them, add a couple of details and paint them, much the better.

Despite the very similar box-counts, I picture the Skiffs to be significantly smaller than the Free Trader. This is based on their descriptions and "fluff" text, describing them as more of a "harbor" or "inter-island" craft than an "open-water ship" like a Free Trader.

Boxes on SSD represent capabilities more than actual space, especially on really small ships like these. If I had got the scale on the FedEx sculpt right (and I didn't), it would be about the same size as a Skiff (in my mind).

All of the "small ships" you listed were made too large in Starline 2400 and all were adjusted (or will be, presumably) down at least a bit in Starline 2500.

The Pol and Free Trader changed the least and would be the best scale-references.

The SL2400 APT is too big to reference against. The SL2400 FedEx is far too large (my fault; sculpted it for fun, not accuracy).
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC mentioned traveler and the seeker ship. Based on my internet research, it appears that the designs are different with the shipcard having a box rearend shape and the traveler seeker looking like the tip of a spear. Is that right?
aramis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traveller Type S and Seeker are both the same hull, with the seeker being modified for mining from a surplus type-S. That hull is often imaged by traveller fans...

Images from Citizens of the Imperium Art Gallery at TravellerRPG.com - click pick to go to it's image page (and see larger)
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, those are better pics than the one I found.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of seekers/strikers were built and not all of them look exactly the same. The model from 2560 and the model from 2570 are different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: