Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campaign rules rough draft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSRbaron
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: This is long overdue Reply with quote

EDIT: I keep trying to past the full thing into here and then save it, but it only displays this small amount for some reason. Will keep working on it.

This was written in March of 2009.

EMPIRES AFLAME: A Federation Commander Campaign Game

This is a set of campaign rules for playing wars between multiple star-faring empires from the Federation Commander game. These rules handle the strategic and economic elements that tie the tactical combats together in a light story-based framework. The rules have been kept simplistic, yet allow for a depth of strategic options and a touch of role-playing flavor.

The game is played for a set number of strategic turns (a campaign) determined by the players at the beginning. A recommended minimum is 10 turns which should give enough time to experience many, though unlikely all, of the things that can happen in a campaign. At the conclusion, all victory points are counted and the empire with the highest victory point total wins the campaign.

The game is played using
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that usually happens when I try to paste something from another program here.
The php forum software doesn't like "curly" apostrophies and quotes; as well as a few other odd ball characters.

If you paste whatever you're trying to post into notepada nd save as a plain text file, that will typically strip the funny characters out. You can then reopen the plain text file and cut-n-paste into the forum.

At least it usually works for me.
OSRbaron
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Let's try this again Reply with quote

I tried using notepad and it failed again. I'm able to paste it and modify before hitting submit, but once I do that it cuts the post short as above.

I think I'll try adding additional material to the post above and see if it allows it.
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Update on the Early Years Campaign using OSRBaron's ruleset Reply with quote

An update of our local FC campaign using a highly modified version of OSRBaron's rules, set in the Early Years.

Currently it is Turn 8 / Year 82 (1 turn = 1 year). The powers are;

Carnivons (in contact with Kzinti and Lyrans),
Federation (in contact with Klingons and Tholians),
Hydrans (in contact with Tholians and Klingons),
Imperials (Star Wars) (in contact with kzinti and Klingons),
Klingons (in contact with the Federation, Hydrans, Tholians, Lyrans, and Imperials),
Kzinti (in contact with Carnivons and Imperials),
Lyrans (in contact with Carnivons, Klingons),
Tholians (in contact with the Federation, Hydrans and Klingons).

Imperials and Kzinti have established an unholy alliance against the Carnavons. War is erupting this turn, and I don't expect the Carnies to withstand the onslaught for more than 4-5 turns. I have imposed a one-year lag in news crossing empires, so the events of Year 81 are not known by distant neighbors until the beginning of Year 83. Once Klingons, Feds, Lyrans, and Hydrans hear about the massive invasion of Carnivon space, I expect an anti-Kzinti/Imperial alliance to form.

The Orion pirates had a a disasterous turn wherein both jolly rogers were lost. They are rebuilding, but won't be a menace again for a couple of turns. The Lyrans are up to something... The Klingons are the most peaceful people in the Galaxy (the Tholians and Fed just recently added).

Econ Strength: (FC Fleet Scale PV per year)
98 Kzinti
81 Klingon
80 Federation
64 Imperials
60 Hydrans
53 Lyrans
40 Carnivon (73 before raids)
28 Tholians

(In general, Fleet scale WCAs cost about 40, WDDs 23, and WFFs 19. Increase by about 25% if Y-class). On the whole, nations are generally building only WFFs and WDDs (or the YDD and YFF versions as the technology becomes available). They are not building very many cruisers (except Lyra and the Feds), which I did not expect. For many of the players, they are constantly torn between building economic boosts (roughly a 6 to 12 turn payoff), technological boosts, or ships.

The Kzinti were quite interesting, in that the original player (who quit when he was attacked on turn 1) dumped 90% of his starting points into YCBS with SciM to start with. Since each YCBS produces 1d4 econs per turn, this is why the Kzinti are so rich. Also, all those SCience Modules allow the Kzinti to advance two years in tech for every year in game time, so while it is Yr82 now, the Kzin tech tree is on Year 90. Meaning in fifteen more turns, the Kzinti will be into Middle Years ships some twenty-two years ahead of the rest of the Galaxy.

Systems
20 Imperials (1 Home; 5 Core; 13 Border)
17 Hydrans (1 Home; 6 Core; 11 Border)
17 Lyrans (1 Home; 6 Core; 11 Border)
16 Carnivons (1 Home; 5 Core; 14 Border)
16 Federation (1 Home; 4 Core; 11 Border)
16 Klingons (1 Home; 5 Core; 10 Border)
14 Kzinti (1 Home; 5 Core; 9 Border)
3 Tholian (1 Home; 5 Border)

Fleet Strength (Number of Ships)*
43 Federation (3xWDN; 12xWCA**, 15xWDD**, 3xWFF; 5xCONV***)
34 Imperial (1xWDN; 4xWCA; 8xWDD; 15xWFF, 3xCONV***)
32 Tholian (2xNDD; 6xNFF; 16xPC; 4xCONV***)
30 Hydran (5xWCA; 12xWDD; 1xFUS; 8xMSK, 1 UFS, 1xCONV, 1x WTG+p-c)
25 Kzinti (1xYCA, 1xWCA; 2xWTG+2 p-c; 13xWDD, 6xYFF; 1xCONV***)
24 Carnivon (1xWDN; 3xWCA; 3xWCL; 6xWDD; 7xWFF; 1xUFS; 2xCONV***)
24 Lyran (3xYCA, 7xWCA; 14xWFF)
22 Klingon (1xC3, 3xD3; 14xF3, 2xCONV***)

* Most all ships at this point are Warp-refit ships (Wxx). There are a few Early Year classes appearing (Yxx), and Vulcan ships are basically Yxx+ class. Tholian ships are Middle Years ships.
** Includes national ships (Alpha Centuari, Andorian, Orion, Rigelian, Terran, and Vulcan classes).
*** Convoys equal 1 UFL and 1 UFS.

Imperial ships are sort of a cross between Klingon and Federation ships,and are home brew design (obviously). They are roughly one class better than their class (ie, an Imperial WFF is probably equivalent to others' WDD), but not always. The Imperial WFF at Fleet Scale is very fast (can sustain Spd 24 and fire its PH3), and has a lot of internal armoring (5x C Hull), but is poorly armed (2x PH-3 (LS, RS) + 1x WTL + 1 Drone) and poorly shielded (5 Shields, all facings). WDDs are slower, but better armed.
OSRbaron
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rfeceo, glad to see your game moving along well. I'm interested to see how it progresses, especially the way you are using a timeline for when different ship types become available.

It also sounds like the Kzinti desperately need an ally or two. That player should get on the horn and see if someone else is willing to intervene directly or if at least a couple people would be willing to front some money with the idea that when the new tech becomes available the Kzinti build a couple of the new ships for them as repayment.

OOPS! Misread the above post. It is the Carnivons that need the help, not the Kzinti.

I'm hoping this weekend I can get time to post bits and pieces of the rules on the forum. Since it will not take the full document even when pasting from notepad I will break it down into sections and type each one in when time allows. I also hope to have something additional to add to it.
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: TImeline Reply with quote

I wasn't sure about the annual progression at first, but it seems to be working out ok from my perspective, I'm not sure about from the players'.

About half of the players are local yokels. the other half are locals to one another, so I kind of thought that the two groups would coalesce together into alliances, but it is only half working. The wild card is the new Fed player, who has expressed an interest in portraying the Feds as "Imperial Earth" :^)

SO far no major problems with the rules concepts, other than the players' difficulty wrapping their minds around the "mission assignment" format rather than traditional hex movement.

We'll see how the Invasion of the Carnies goes, there will be a lot of big battles coming up.
OSRbaron
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Let's try this again Reply with quote

This was written in March of 2009.

EMPIRES AFLAME: A Federation Commander Campaign Game

This is a set of campaign rules for playing wars between multiple star-faring empires from the Federation Commander game. These rules handle the strategic and economic elements that tie the tactical combats together in a light story-based framework. The rules have been kept simplistic, yet allow for a depth of strategic options and a touch of role-playing flavor.

The game is played for a set number of strategic turns (a campaign) determined by the players at the beginning.
A recommended minimum is 10 turns which should give enough time to experience many, though unlikely all, of the things that can happen in a campaign. At the conclusion, all victory points are counted and the empire with the highest victory point total wins the campaign.

The game is played using
OSRbaron
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried again. This time I tried editing a little at a time into the post. Previewing the post shows the edits there, but once submitted it refuses to show anything beyond what you see above.

Is there a moderator I can email the entire thing to and have them try posting it?
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: pbwiki Reply with quote

Hi OSRBaron,

Hey, I was thinking about this, and I wondered if you would care to post your rules on a pbwiki so that you could just post the link here?

I would post my version of the rules there, and if others were using the same campaign system, they could post their rules there as well. Or even different systems.

Might be nice to have a "one-stop shop" for campaign rules.

Also, I'd be happy to share the game orders/reports forms from my game with you if you are interested. They seem to be working great for me and my group - takes me about an hour to process a turn on average, after all the combat is done,

-Peter / rfeceo
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Early Years Campaign Update, Turn 9 (Year 83) Reply with quote

Lyrans, Klingons, and Federation: all eerily quiet.
Hydrans have partially conquered the NPC world of Ukko, full conquest cut short by the loss the Commando Cruiser Grunts, and the deaths of nine Marines attempting to capture an Ukkonite destroyer that self-destructed.

Major news is the Kzinti-Imperial invasion of the Carnivon Hordes. Six Carnivon Border systems taken, and all five Carnivon Core worlds raided, severely weakening the Carnivon economy, and denying the Carnies of about a third of their Border area. Six Carnivon warships losts, including a Warp-refitted Cruiser, two warp-refitted Light Cruisers, two warp-refitted Destroyers, and warp-refitted Frigate, on top of the destruction of an Early Base station and four Civilian Base Stations. Alliance losses were minor: the Imperials lost a hyperdrive-refitted frigate and the Kzinti a warp-refitted destroyer. Even Kzinti and Imperial damaged ships were minimal, a couple of ships here and there with a couple of damage points each.

Beyond the loss of about a quarter of the Carnivon fleet, and third of their border systems, the main strategic setbacks was the capture of two Early Civilian Base Stations with repair modules. Once those worlds are taken with ground troops, the Kzinti-Imperial alliance will have forward repair facilities. Further, the Imperials and Kzinti together captured the Gateway system which has a wormhole link to Tholian space, and the Tholians have joined the anti-dog alliance.

This news will arrive at Lyran, Hydran, Klingon, and Federation capitals next turn, as there is a one-year news delay if you are not directly connected. Lyrans know something is going on, as they are connected to the Carnivons. It will be interesting to see if they join in the war against the Pups.

One interesting sideshow is the Kzinti border world of Glaaki where Agents of three empires (including the Imperials who are known to the other two since they botched their rolls) are on location engaging in spy-vs-spy activities.

Gorn, Romulans, and Paravians are currently unplayed.
desmith137
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I am in and reading, as suggested. Looks good, but I judging from your posts so far, it may make me privy to information the Imperials aren't supposed to know. I will try to keep my player/character knowledge in check. Cool

Very Happy
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, dave. You are flying most of the other player's ships, and see therir battle specific orders. You already know too much. :^)

-Peter
desmith137
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already know too much? That sounds ominous ... good thing for the wife & kids my life insurance is up to date. Smile

As far as a players perspective - I am enjoying this campaign immensely. This mapless game concept does make hostile actions much easier. And I do like acting hostile. I am just waiting for the rest of the galaxy to band together against my Evil Empire. Twisted Evil
rfeceo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Turn 9 (Year 83) End of Turn Report. Reply with quote

Turn 9 (Year 83) End of Turn Report.

Hydrans, Lyrans, Klingons, and Federation: all still eerily quiet.

The Carnivon war continues. Alliance forces (Kzinti, Imperial, Tholian) capture another five Carnivon Border systems, and stave off two Carnivon invasion attempts to retake lost worlds. However it is too little too late, and despite fierce resistance by the Carnivon Navy, they are simply overwhelmed. The Carnivon Border systems will not survive Turn 10. All Carnivon Core systems raided by Tholian ships to devastating effect.

Alliance losses remain minimal, with no ships lost, and only a few more damaged or crippled. Carnivons lose another quarter of their fleet. One interesting aspect is Carnivon Y-class ships are coming to the front, and are substantially better than their warp-refitted cousins.

First use of (homebrew) wild weasels to weaken the Imperial and Kzinti Scatterpack assaults. The drone weapon dynamic is becoming quite interesting, and would be moreso if the Carnies had more ships to even the numeric odds in each battle.

News of the first year of war (Year 82) arrives at Lyran, Hydran, Klingon, and Federation capitals in this turn
desmith137
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: The Imperial Perspective Reply with quote

Although I do feel a bit guilty for beating up on Peter's brother-in-law (the Carnivons) like this; from my perspective the war is proceeding nicely. I consider myself the spearhead of our unholy alliance; as Peter likes to say - my 2 allies are more "loss oriented" than I am.

I am 1 turn away from establishing peaceful trade with the Klingons, which I have been working on for a while and desperately need to boost my economy another 6 econs. I am constantly having to choose between guns & butter, so I want all the econs I can get. I strategically placed my end of the trade route so that I can officially begin referring to it as "the Kessel Run."

Next turn also brings me to building my first 2 Y-Class Tugs and once they are done I begin construction of the Dread Star Weapon Platfrom (Early Years precursor to the Death Star, that will have to be towed by the 2 aforementioned Y-Tugs.)

As far as the mapless campaign is concerned, I am capturing systems not currently connected to my border. I have an exploration Frigate and one of my agents working to locate a space-lane connecting my border systems to what I have begun referring to as my outer rim territories. I am assuming that once they succeed Peter will just absorb them into my border or create an extra bubble of systems around Imperial space, but I am not positive about that. He tends to surprise me with his creative malevolence - it reminds me of some of my more memorable acts as a DM over the years. Very Happy

To update the Spy Versus Spy game on Glaaki. I am pleased to report that my 3 Imperial agents have captured the Carnivon and Federation spies operating there. I am now establishing an enemy prisoner of war encampment (Marine Garrison ground base run by a Sith agent) on an uninhabited world that I took from the Carnies last turn, which I am naming the Despayre Penal Colony.

Before his capture, the Fed agent went so far as to interfere with and work towards the Carnivon's attempt to retake Glaaki. My allies and I still need to take some time to discuss how we wish to act on this latest development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: