Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Hydran Mixed Fleet Tactics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Help! Hydran Mixed Fleet Tactics Reply with quote

Our group is going to play a Hydran vs Lyran fleet action in open space. The proposed fleets are listed below.

It is very likely that I will be playing on the Hydran side and I have not played Fusion ships since SFB in the 80s. I want the battle to be competitive and not a blowout.

Would anyone who has been successful with Hydran Fusion ships have any suggestions on how best to do the initial Hydran fleet set up and how to execute the inital approach? (After initial approach it is likely to change into a furball quickly.)

Should I do an eschelon formation with Hellbore ships in back?
When should I launch fighters?
Preferred fighter formation?
Do fighters fly in front or behind the fusion ships?
Tips on evasive maneuvers with Fusion ships?
etc.

Help!

HYDRAN FLEET - 591 BPV
----------------------------------------
Ranger CA (Fusion) + 9 Fighters - 201 BPV
Dragoon CA (HB) + 3 Fighters - 178 BPV
Lancer DD (Fusion) + 4 Fighters - 117 BPV
Rhino Hunter DWH (HB) - 95 BPV

LYRAN FLEET OPT A - 591 BPV
--------------------------------------------
Tiger CA - 139 BPV
Tiger CA - 139 BPV
Jaguar CW - 128 BPV
Alleycat DW - 102 BPV
Leopard DD - 83 BPV
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see no answers to this. I'll take a stab at it.

In this case, I'd split the force. The Hellbore armed ships would plot speed 16 and dump fighters early, the fusion ships would plot speed 24 plus, and hold onto the fighers until they had a Lyran ship tractored. Don't bother with evasive maneuvers. Just get in there and start tearing them up. Fusion ships must close as quickly as possible. Energy not used for movement, tractors, or weapons is energy wasted.

With the Hellbore ships, put the fighters in the same hex, and use them to dilute ESG damage if the Lyrans charge in close.

The initial approach of the fusion ships is FAST FAST FAST, with the pedal to the metal, so you can get in there and start torching the Lyrans before their longer range weapons inflict heavy damage. Keep in mind that Lyrans aren't Klingons. They don't turn as well, and don't have those same broad phaser arcs. Klingons have so much reserve power, and such broad arcs, and excellent turning ability that they're the one race out there that can really rip a Hydran fusion fleet apart. But Lyrans fight mostly to the front., so the Hydrans should have the advantage.
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay under EM if he is sabre-dancing you. Indeed, there is no real reason not to be in EM until you are approaching point blank range (but watch carefully).

Use hellbores to negate ESGs.

Keep hellbore ship at range.

He has to spread out (or give up on a lot of ESG damage) so you should not. Try to attack one edge or the other of his formation and split his fire on multiple shields.

Keep fusion ships near (or in same hex with) the fighters during your approach. If you split them up he will just go murder your fighters and the battle will be over. Opinions vary on whether your should have the fighters in front of behind or same hex. Basically if you lose your fighters, you lose your firepower. But if you lose your ships you can't go home and your fighters are sitting ducks to his remaining ships.

Do not neglect the value of a good anchor if the opportunity presents itself. His battle speed is 16 which means that he will drop to base speed 8 with an anchor allowing your fighters to come in to close range and kill him.

He outguns your ships over two turns at close range but you outgun him in one. So time your attack to occur such that he cannot one-two punch you with disruptors.

In fusion fleets I love the Lancer. He's fast and fairly durable (esp under EM), carries a decent fighter allotment and you can make him either unload on a mere destroyer or let a gatling/fusion ship climb on top of him.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!

We played last weekend and the Hydrans were able to win.

I played the Ranger and Lancer. An experienced SFB player played the Dragoon and DWH.

We approached with the Fusion ships in front and the Hellbore ships trailing 5-8 hexes.

Once we got within 25 hex range the Fusion ships started Evasive Maneuvering and moving as close to speed 32 as possible.

Once less than 10 hexes away (I think is was 6-8 hexes) we dropped EM and the fighters from the Fusion ships. 13 fighters within range 10 with 13 Phaser Gs and 13 Fusions were very effective at weakening shields for the Hellbores.

The Fusion ships and fighters continued to close (we were on a location map). The Lyrans allowed them within range 2 ane we destroyed many Lyrans.

So I have the following in-progress principles:
1. Appoach under EM at speed 32 if possible
2. Drop fighters at <10 hexes to snipe and weaken shields for the Hellbore and continue to weaken as long as fighters are not getting wiped out
3. If able to close to point blank range on a given turn, hold the fighter fire until range 2 or less.
4. If the enemy runs away, pick up the fighters, chase and repeat.

Also, I never ever had the power to fire all overloaded fusions at any time. It was either standard fusions or half of them in overload.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: