Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA Panels and nebulae

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: PA Panels and nebulae Reply with quote

I was looking at the rules for nebulae in both SFB and FC (while working on another idea) and I was wondering about how the FC version would, or perhaps should, handle interactions with Andromedan power absorbers.

In SFB, each panel box recieves one point of energy on the eighth and twenty-fourth impulse of each turn. Should there be an equivalent effect of a nebula on PA panels in FC?
Blammo
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FC equivalent of what you described would be 1 point of energy on the 2nd and 6th impulse on each panel box.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we forgot all about PA Panel / Nebula interactions. So, as the rules currently are, PA Panels are unaffected by Nebulas. If you find an Andromedan in a nebula, run. Run fast. Run away. Don't fit; you'll lose.

For what should happen, at the very least PA Panels should be able to hold no more than 6 points of energy per panel. So, each "row of ten" for a PA Panel should have the last for boxes specially marked while the ship is in the nebula so they cannot hold any energy.

Don't know what to do about the whole "takes a point of energy twice a turn" thing. It is a bit fiddly, but PA Panels are probably too strong without it. So, there is probably good reason to include it. So, for that, then each PA Panel box would receive 1 point of energy damage at the end of the Defensive Fire phase of impulses #2 and #6. Note that the energy so taken can never cause internals. If the PA Panels are full, the extra energy is just ignored.

Another option that might be considered is to ignore the whole "accumulates energy until full" thing and just put the cap lower. Say each PA Panel box can only hold 3 (or even just 2) points of energy. Changes the dynamics some, but is way simpler doesn't require anyone to remember something twice a turn.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

For one thing, proper Andro-in-a-nebula rules would be useful to have for the Omega project, in order to account for battles fought in or at the Ryn Nebula during Operation Concerted Strike. Assuming the Nebula Wall uses the standard nebula rules for scenarios involving it, that is... (I'd ask on the BBS, but the make-sure-C3A-gets-done moratorium is in effect.)

EDIT: In SFB, web fists work in a nebula, while other web uses don't. Is the same true in FC?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
EDIT: In SFB, web fists work in a nebula, while other web uses don't. Is the same true in FC?

That is covered in the nebula rules.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so it is; sorry.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that 3G4a2 specifically allows PA Panels to dissipate power while in a nebula.

Garrett
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. That does not need to change.

We just forgot to check the SFB nebula rule for the interaction I note above. I have sent a note to Steve about making a ruling on it. Hopefully, we will be able to have a decision and the note included in the next Communique.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the recent Battle Group pairings over on the BBS, I had a couple of additional questions about how Andros work in a nebula:

*I recall an errata note being added covering the PA Panel interactions. Which Communique was this added in; or is there a separate errata file listed somewhere where it can be found?

*(6F1f) does not permit transporters to be operated in a nebula. Are displacement devices similarly limited; or can an Andromedan ship use any of the DisDev's functions while in the nebula?

*And this is more of a general question; but is an Andromedan allowed to choose whether or not the satellite ships are deployed prior to the start of a given scenario? (Or to put it another way; if it is ruled above that DisDevs cannot be used in a nebula, would that mean the Andro would essentially be either forced to launch its SatShips prior to entering the nebula, or be otherwise stuck with keeping them in their hangars for the duration?)

Last edited by Nerroth on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- It was in Communique #65. (As a side note, it was pretty easy to figure out. The last post was 4/11. So, start looking at the Communiques around that. I found it in the Communique for 5/11.)

- Why the reference to transporters? Transporters and displacement devices are totally different systems. That said, displacement devices cannot be used in nebula in SFB. Unfortunately, that rule was missed, and so there is nothing in Federation Commander to prevent its use (though it would be subject to the +3 shift in the appropriate situations). However, it shouldn't be able to be used.

So, as a final answer, displacement devices should not be inoperable in nebula.

- It would appear that it is intentional that Andromedans cannot launch or retrieve satellite ships in a nebula. That is just how they roll (in both SFB and Federation Commander).

On the second part of the question, I could not see anywhere in SFB or Federation Commander where there were any allowances or prohibitions on whether satellite ships could start the scenario on the map. So, I don't think there is any restriction there. Whether in a nebula or not, an Andromedan player may start a scenario with the satellite ships on the map (at any speed) or in the hangar. (Unless, of course, scenario rules restrict this for a particular scenario.)

Obviously, I will get those last two items checked ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: