Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First play of FC - The Navajo Incident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: First play of FC - The Navajo Incident Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have recently been bitten by the SFB bug (again) and pulled out all my old stuff. I set up a simple duel and several hours later had managed to work my way through it. Boy was it hard work, remembering and reading all that stuff , it had been 20+ years since I last played, only the use of impulse cards kept the game from stalling completely.

So I went online to see what was new for the game (to say there is a lot more is an understatement!) and I stumbled across FC. I was already somewhat aware of FC but with such a back catalogue of SFB stuff, I never really considered it. I downloaded the First Missions pack read through and ran through a simple duel, still undecided I purchased the reference rulebook from e23, which is really quite good value as you get free updates.
On the Commanders Circle site, I found a simple scenario to try, (8CM31) The Navajo Incident. I was going to use SFB SSDs but the required frigates and freighter are available as a download so I grabbed them and set it up.

Initial impressions of FC are very favourable. I was a little vary of the ,on the fly, energy allocation but it works very well. I did miss having a scatterpack for the Klingons but everything else felt right. Everyone seemed to have a little more power, this seemed to favour the Fed frigate as it managed to overload both its photons and still buzz around, something I recall was far more difficult in SFB.

Here is a short report on the battle.
The battle started with the freighter making for its exit zone at speed 16, the Klingon needed to be quick! The Fed moved to cover the freighter and flaunt its weaker rear shields trying to tempt the Klingon into preemptive fire. The Klingon tractored the freighter and dragged it across the board. The Federation frigate followed the Klingon closely with overloaded photons. As the Klingons approached the six hex board edge zone in which the Fed frigate could fire they dropped their tractor and spun off at speed. The Klingons attempted to knife fight the Feds as the freighter swung around and headed back to its exit area, keeping out of overload range. Although the Klingon frigate kept up pressure on the Feds taking down its number two shield and scoring a couple of internals, the Feds kept their overloaded torpedoes ready knowing that at some point the Klingons will have to tractor the freighter again. The Klingons had not done enough to slow down the Fed frigate and as the freighter approached its exit area they had to charge in and tractor it again. A high energy turn and at range one two fully overloaded photons and the Klingon vessel was in tatters. The Feds had taken a fair bit of damage too but as the undamaged freighter serenely exited, the board there was only one winner.

An interesting and tense battle where the Klingons have to make all the running. Very impressed with the rules as during the battle that took about an hour and a half to play I used direct and defensive fire, drones, transporters, hit and run raids, tractoring and tractor auctions, evasive manoeuvres, high energy turns, repairs and control systems. Each rule was quick and easy to implement. Not sure I got the movement of the tractored ship right, the Klingons had it at range one in the hex to their front right, when they turned left I moved the freighter two hexes to maintain this relationship, is that correct?

Might replay this scenario, need to find a way for a Klingon win, any ideas?
Dave
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First play of FC - The Navajo Incident Reply with quote

TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
Not sure I got the movement of the tractored ship right, the Klingons had it at range one in the hex to their front right, when they turned left I moved the freighter two hexes to maintain this relationship, is that correct?

No. The tractored ship stays in the same location relative to map direction. If the ship is in direction 'B' from your ship it stays in direction 'B' from your ship, so as you turn the tractored ship will face different shields on you.

Last edited by storeylf on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrotskyTrotsky
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks storeylf - just like in regular SFB then. I am trying not to make assumptions and play the game as it is written (or at least try)

OK - so anyone have any ideas how to win this as the Klingons - looks tough...
paulgenna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Klingon tactics Reply with quote

Hey TrotskyTrotsky,

For the Klingon's I have had sccess staying in the 9-15 range and using disruptors to weaken shields. Then on the last impulse I launch drones and do so again on the first impulse of the next turn. This forces the defender to deal with both waves and the Klingon ship when it comes in.

Once you decide to close for the kill, I prefer to not overload the disruptors but save everything for phasers and shield reinforcement. Usually by the time the other side has dealt with the drones they are short on energy. When playing against the Feds this forces them to choose between overloading photons or having photons and phasers.

Just some of the tactics I have learned.

Paul
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First play of FC - The Navajo Incident Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
If the ship is in direction 'B' from your ship it stays in direction 'B' from your ship, so as you turn the tractored ship will face different shields on you.

...and different weapons too. Mwahahaha Twisted Evil
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

We tried this scenario the past weekend and could absolutely not understand how the Klingons could win. I believe these is some special rule missing or we completely misunderstand the initial settup.

My point being, if the Fed player controls the freighter, the map is not floating and the Klingons start at 15 hexes of distance from the freighter it is just mathematically impossible for the Klingons to prevent the freighter from simply moving of the map at the end of round 1.
Even at constant 24+1 , if the freighter is at 16+1 it can simply move off the map.

What are we missing here ?
pinbot
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllarr wrote:

...the freighter.. can simply move off the map.

What are we missing here ?

Yeah, looks like a quick scenario. Should play out in less than two minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: