Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The next SFB module, August 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: The next SFB module, August 2012 Reply with quote

SVC wrote: The next SFB module, August 2012
======
As we mentioned in Captain's Log, this is driven by the need to print counters for Reinforcements Attack. We have to print four single-sided sheets at one time. Those would be the reprint of FCDK, the sheet for Reinforcements Attack, the sheet for Marines 2, and a sheet for a new SFB module. (We might steal half of the SFB sheet for another FC project that I have in mind since 140 will surely be plenty for a new SFB module.)
======
Please do remember that anything not done in this round is still being considered for next round. The next round is designed to have a longer cycle time to give us time for one or two meaty long-development modules.
======
You're welcome to suggest (or remind us about) other SFB products but do not mention non-SFB products here as this topic is ONLY about the next SFB module.
======
the nominees are:
======
C? New Worlds ?
This would start with the Borak, Peladine, and/or Nicozians, and/or the GenWar Paravians from CL28.
To those we would add updated rules, some new ships, scenarios, and of course, die-cut counters.
But we're not idiots. We know that the product won't sell without HOT new material, specifically, a new empire.
The leading option is General War Carnivons, perhaps based in the WYN cluster or off map or in F&E hex 0101. In any case, they'd have a real shipyard and real ships, not heavily refitted captured ships and freighters.
The Xorkaelians are really not an option as they need too many pages, having ships from all time periods.
If there is another option for a new empire, we're not sure what it is.
This is the leading candidate because it's the easiest to do (and Petrick really wants to do it).
======
X2: Second Generation X-ships
We know that this would be the biggest seller, but we need something we can define to the point of printing the counters with confidence we won't be designing our way out of painted corners, and we don't want to hold FC Reinforcements Attack for next year. This will require scheduling more SVC time in the basic design phase.
======
A new galaxy, or a new sector.
Perhaps based on one of the playtest packs already out there.
Or perhaps a new race module in the Sargasso Storm Sector.
In either case, this is probably just too big a project to do in the time period defined by the FC Reinforcements product.
======
X1R2
There is a topic in which people were discussing whether there are enough unpublished SSDs from this era to be worth a product. Steve Petrick is reviewing that topic but doesn't think there are enough ships. (Defining enough as "enough interesting ships" rather than "enough ships that nobody wants but which slip through historical cracks." [Yes, you can see a little bit of Mathew Mongoose Marketing rubbing off on me here. We need ships that interest players, not engineers or historians.) This would not be that hard to do but is only worth doing if there are enough INTERESTING new ships to do. Please, any suggestion for new ships go in the topic for this product not in the module decision topic.
======
R13
Nobody wants to buy a collection of 80 ships that nobody wanted but which somehow fit into historical nooks, cracks, and crannies. To do this product, we need at least 20 or 30 truly interesting and creative ships, not just "oh my gawd that's so big and mean it makes everything obsolete!" ships. We're not convinced there are enough of those. This would not be that hard to do but is only worth doing if there are enough INTERESTING new ships to do. Please, any suggestion for new ships go in the topic for this product not in the module decision topic.
======
Omega 6
Petrick has a plan for Omega as follows:
Three modules, each covering seven empires, giving each 10 SSDs (base, two freighters, tug, pods, ground bases, 3 warships)
Three modules with new empires: 1 (Paravian, Nucian, Vulpa), 2 (Jindarian, Loriyill, Hiver unihive), 3 (Echarri, Scon, Zosman).
Three modules providing X-ships for 1/3 of the empires. If this is done after the new empires, 10 empires per module, 7 ships each)
We could do any of the first six.
We vaguely recall that Scott Tenhoff had an idea for a module focusing on the First Great War, giving every empire a bunch of cool wartime ships. Perhaps he would remind us of this, or perhaps someone else had an idea for an Omega product.
======
Y4
There is a topic in which people were discussing whether there are enough unpublished SSDs from this era to be worth a product. Steve Petrick is reviewing that topic but doesn't think there are enough ships. (Defining enough as "enough interesting ships" rather than "enough ships that nobody wants but which slip through historical cracks.") This would not be that hard to do but is only worth doing if there are enough INTERESTING new ships to do. Please, any suggestion for new ships go in the topic for this product not in the module decision topic.
======

Obviously SVC does read here, but your vote is easiest tallied on the BBS.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vote placed on BBS, along with valid reasons for voting thusly.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C7 - New Worlds

Carnivons, Paravians, Borak and Peladine.
Each of these races is already developed in-universe, requires far little ret-conning (oh, wow, a new race we didn't notice), and has the possibility of quick conversion over to FedCom because their weapons are already (generally) balanced in regards to those of other Empires. Additionally, the Borak, Peladine, and Carinvons (going inward from rim-ward to spinward) make a logical addition to the F&E map.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know who you are, so feel free to vote both places, I won't double count it.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted on the BBS, my preferences woud be:

1. A formally-published Triangulum Galaxy module (with 4-5 empires brought up to a minimally campaign-compatible level),

2. One of the Omega bases-plus-ships modules suggested above (perhaps with the groups of seven empires divided up based on their respective allegiances during the Second Great War),

3. A second LMC module (Yrol, Chomak, X-tech, more Early Years stuff, and whoever the Maghadim fought during their initial expansion inside the Core region).
Jim Lewis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites:

X2: Second Generation X-Ships

C? New Worlds

A new Galaxy, or a new sector
Sentinal
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted in the the other board [with some added information]:

My preference

1) Omega - I would probably like to see the speed '30' warships and bases before the new empires first, but I'm fine with either one [Omega is what brought me back into the SFU after a twenty year hiatus. I really like to see some more added to the current races with regards to new faster ships that would be on par with current Alpha octant ships]

2) C6 - I definitely want to see the Borak, Peladine, GW-Carnivorn, GW-Paravarian get officially included into the SFU. I know due to time constraints that this choice may actually be better to go first, but I'm a real Omega fan. [These are all of the fallen empires (or potential empires) of the Alpha octant. The Paravians have a second chance in the Omega while the other three races could make a comeback during the Andromedan wars and attempt to reclaim their lost homeworlds that are located in the under-published Delta sector

3) Triangulum galaxy - If for nothing else, just because Gary Carney has been pushing for this one for quite a while now and I appreciate his dedication [Actually I should include the LMC galaxy in this as well, not just because Gary is also an ardent fan of this (Smile), but it does have a few races/species/empires that need to be brought in. Such as the Yorl sect, the Chumk and more expansion on the Uthiki]

[In perspective I like to see the SFU grow outward and bring in new empires and new technologies. Sure, all of the original races is what keep the fan base familiar with the game but I like exploring new ways to play with the rules and the universe... after all it is big enough to house new ideas Smile ]
gambler1650
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C? with General War Carnivons
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Omega races would be great.
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where should we post ship proposals?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebart wrote:
Where should we post ship proposals?

In the SFB/Proposals section of the Legacy Discus Board. Posting them here won't do any good. It has to be done on the Discus board.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that the next SFB mdoule will be C6 in March 2013, but that we will be published R13, R14, and R15 in due course and proposals for them are welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: