Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damage to Planets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpm
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic went in a direction I never figured. I guess I was trying to figure our how to assess damage to a planet and track it. 200 pts seem to be the answer.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to take forever to finish off a planet in StarFleet Command, not seeing how much damage is done each shot makes it seem to drag out ---
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 200 pts. of damage per hex side is the unofficial standard. But anyone can pretty much do as they please.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try and put it a different way: You can't damage a planet with a starship's weapons. Heck, even ramming the planet with the starship and perfectly timing the explosion of its warp core won't damage a planet. What you can do, however, is damage the surface of a planet. The surface of a planet can be rearranged all day, if you keep shooting at it.

What those 200 points on a hex side do is blow up crap on the surface of a planet. A city. Multiple cities. Infrastructure. Bases. Whatever. It is outside the scope of the scenario, so we don't specify exactly what is being blown up, and simply use some arbitrary damage point total to achieve. What that arbitrary value is will be set in the scenario. If you are making the scenario, then you get to figure out the appropriate value.

But, make no mistake, the actual planet itself isn't being harmed. You can take a ship and shoot at a planet until the ship falls apart from old age, and you are not going to harm the planet. Heck, you aren't even gonna crack the crust. You will scour the surface and remove everything above base bedrock, but the planet itself is utterly unharmed.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
jpm
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Federation Commander Answer Guy said answer the question. I want to figure out how to damage a planet - possible to remove a resource from a empires access or make a planet unusable for some tactical reason. 200 pts makes sense.

Thank you
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing a planet from an empire's resources...

Not really possible, At least not permanently. All 200 points (per hex side) will do is destroy the mines and farms and factories, all of which can be rebuilt. The resources (land for crops, herds of livestock, minerals in the ground) are still there, but have to be accessed again. Might take it off the resource list for TWO years.

F&E establishes that the most damage you can do will only take a planet off of the productive resource list for two years, and that's 200 points per hex side for a colony of 10 million. For a major industrial planet (Earth. Vulcan), 2000 per hex side would be about right.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 points per side! Wow, that's going to take a while. What you really need is a big mining ship and a bucket of gloopy red stuff to fire at the planet's core. Anyone know where I could get some of that?
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could have the FedCom equivalent of strategic bombing, where devastation of a planet and its associated industrial base could be used to deprive an enemy of industry and/or resources, but there's really nothing in the Star trek canon to support the idea that such tactics are ever used. In the episode Mirror Mirror, I believe that the ISS Enterprise was prepared to resort to terror bombardment if they didn't get the dilithium concession or whatever, but Kirk from our universe countermanded the order. Apparently the Mirror Universe guys used terror and mass murder, but they were seriously bent. Nothing was ever shown that would lead us to believe that the Klingons, Romulans, or any other race in the standard Star Trek universe did that sort of thing. The builders of the Doomsday Machine did, but they seem to have paid for it with their lives, which kind of makes sense if you think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: