Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selt Secret?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Selt Secret? Reply with quote

The description for the Hive Ship say it held the Selt's Greatest Secret and that when the Klingons discovered it, they exterminated the Selts. So, does anyone have any idea what the Greatest Secret was?

Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seltorians had "two" secrets. First they committed genocide on a galatic scale. Second they breed like cockroaches and the Nestship is the next best thing to establishing a beach head.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Selt Secret? Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
The description for the Hive Ship say it held the Selt's Greatest Secret and that when the Klingons discovered it, they exterminated the Selts. So, does anyone have any idea what the Greatest Secret was?

It's a book. Title translates to "How to serve Klingon".
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Selt Secret? Reply with quote

phdillman wrote:
It's a book. Title translates to "How to serve Klingon".

<like> Brilliant! Very Happy
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably includes loads of chilli sauce in the recipe - after all, that makes a kebab edible (with the assistance of some Romulan Ale of course).
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only in the FedCom ship description? I did not see anything like that in the SFB description. Just wondering. It's a fascinating bit of info and could lead to some really brutal fleet battles. Twisted Evil

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was on the ship description. I never ran across it in SFB either.

OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also in the SFU timeline

Quote:
Y186 The ISC Echelon of Judgement (X-ships) demands that the Seltorians stop attacking the Tholians.
When the Seltorians refuse, the ISC destroys the Seltorian Hive Ship and bases. The Klingons
discover a secret about the Seltorians and destroy the last of them.

And in the Historical Outcome of scenario SH246 in X1R (where the ISC destroys the Hiveship).

I agree that these kinds of battles would be interesting to play out. The Selts really have no hope, since I would guess that only the Hiveship was equipped to travel through the galactic barrier, they're stuck and at the mercy of the Klingons and Tholians.

In terms of scenarios, I sent one in a little while back about the Klingons hunting down some of the last Seltorian units *shameless plug off* Rolling Eyes, (also not intended to be a stab at SVC, he's way to busy to review every scenario as he gets it, and my scenario might be garbage after all).

There is also a scenario in R12 called "The Last Infestation", which could be about some of these last few desperate battles (note, I am inferring this from the title alone, this is one of the modules I don't own...gotta get back up to date on my SFB material).

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is that the Seltorians were not in the Milky Way as refugees (as the Holdfast Tholians were). The Seltorians were here to find and then kill Tholians, plain and simple.

This really hurt their long-term staying power, as they weren't interested in establishing an "empire"; after their long trip, they just wanted to set up shop and start killing Tholians again.

Given their racial mindset and focus, I don't think they particularly cared if they were wiped out. They knew they were only the first of (presumably) more expeditions sent to wipe out the Tholians known to have fled here (the original Tholia Dyson sphere group, the 312th battle fleet, etc.). They found the Holdfast group, sent word back to the Home Galaxy (I assume), and set about killing as many Tholians as they could until that message made it home and more expeditions were sent.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I had missed that in the timeline. I'll have to check out that scenario, too.

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sell the Seltorians short. True their primary mission was to kill Tholians but, we have no ideal what their secondary objectives were. They proved with their ability to convert a worthless rock into a major colony that they were capable of Empire building.

What their intentions were after the last Tholian was executed are not clear. And the short story by SPP in the last Captains Log implies that they were willing to have Klingon Intelligence Officer killed to keep a secret.

Did they intend to move on, set up shop in the old Tholian Holdfast and continue sending out Tribunals or, were they here to literally setup a beach head for a full on Galatic Conquest we don't know. And once the Klingons taught them about gunboats the sky was literally the limit.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I guess that's what the Selt Secret really is...we just don't know what their long-term plans were. I'm guessing the logistics to support that plan was in the Hive Ship, hence "the secret" in the ship description.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said before, the "big secret" was that they were emotionally and intellectually capable of exterminating an entire race/species.

That, coupled with their ability to grow unlimited worker/crew populations in six months, turn worthless planets into profitable colonies, and their lack of anything like a "civilian economy" (meaning they could totally dedicate the output of entire planets to war production without any decline in civilian morale) just scared the crap out of the Klingons.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought thier secret was they were Manti ta'o's girlfrield Laughing

Nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing about the Klingons and Seltorians is that the Klingons didn't actually do the primary attacks; the ISC did. The Klingons just realized that a lingering Seltorian presence would do no good, and so finished them off.

Whether the Klingons would have eventually decided the Seltorians had outlived their usefulness or not is rather irrelevant. The ISC made that decision; the Klingons simply decided to go along with it.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: