Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zocchi plastics - wow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyrDraconis
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Zocchi plastics - wow! Reply with quote

I've built up a few boxes of FedCom minis - the Fed, Klink, and Romulan basic fleets; plus the 'other ships' from KB - and was pleased with the results, if not overwhelmed. On the other hand, my FLGS finally got in a handful of singles, including a bunch of the plastic Federation ships; I picked up a couple tugs to spot for freighters in FC convoy scenarios.

Egads, these things are nice! I had one press-fit together and on the stand in five minutes, with nary a wobble - and if not for painting (and my lack of magnets) I'd have kept the pods modular. Going to be a joy to paint - one quick question though, is there any difference in how paint holds between the off-white/gray/glow-in-the-dark plastic? I doubt it, but I've seen plastics do some funky things before.

....I suppose there really isn't much to this beyond pointless praise, but these are really solid minis, especially for a 20+ year-old design. I know I'll be buying at least another tug, and a CA or two (gotta have two for the PK scenario, plus maybe a cloaked Enterprise....)
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only special advice I'd give regarding the plastic Fed Ships is to be extra sure you wash them well before priming. They are quite a few years old and have been sitting in warehouses waiting to find a good home. All plastics degrade over time and off-gas as well as often exuding oils, etc. that could mess up primer and paint adhesion.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what he said. The only problems I've ever had with paint sticking to miniatures was with some of the old Zocchi plastics. If you follow Will's advice and wash them well before priming, there should be no problems.
Mxslade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Zocchi plastics that are about 30 yrs old and the one thing that I have noted is the ones that were clear coated after they were painted have held up better than their non-clear coated counterparts.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some that I didn't basecoat ("molded in correct color...") that yellowed pretty badly, but a soak in Simple Green to strip the old detail paint off took a lot of the yellowing with it. That's all hidden under a nice new enamel basecoat.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you wash Zocchi ships in soapy water or just give them a quick rinse under the tap? I ask because I've never had to wash plastic miniatures before painting them before but this thread has made me think that at least for my Zocchi plastics, I should.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for preventive maintenance - I was all my minis in warm, soapy water prior to priming. This is usually done immediately after filing / sanding off any flash and reworking the mold lines, so it serves to remove the filings, any mold release agent, and any oils that accumulated during handling of the minis.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Scoutdad, I use simple dish-soap (the kind without any lotions or any stuff like that), after all prep-work (cutting, filing, sanding, etc.) on the minis. I have a large-ish size "Gladware" container dedicated for this and paint stripping. I let them soak in warm soapy water for about 5 minutes a batch, then lightly scrub them with an old toothbrush, rinse them thoroughly under the tap, and finally blot them dry with paper towels. NOTE: Do not let older (lead) minis soak for more than a few minutes or they will pick up a lead-oxide patina coating.

All the Zocchi plastic ships were molded at least 10 years ago (and probably much earlier) as a big production run of thousands. They've been slowly getting sold off since. That's a long time to sit and off-gas and exude.

Washing would apply to *any* mini though, plastic or metal.

All plastics off-gas and seep as they cool after molding (and as they age). Some plastics are also covered in mold-release lubricants. Almost all metal minis are covered in the same kind of mold-release oils.

The manufacturers usually wash the parts to get that stuff off, but they aren't perfect. Handling minis during prep gets them covered in skin oils (a lot in my greasy-faced case). Most households also have a fair amount of airborne cooking oils too that can settle on bare surfaces.

All of that slimy stuff is really bad for primer and paint adhesion. It's better to be safe and wash them yourself, than sorry and have paint bubble or flake off.
CyrDraconis
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated thanks for all the replies - got my two tugs and a second CA basecoated without incident. Now if I could just finish up...
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were playing last Friday and one of the guys was using a Zocchi plastic mini for a Fed CA. It came off the plastic stand and when he tried to put it back on, well, you know what happened...SNAP!

Now its in 3 distinct pieces and the stand is missing the little nub on the top.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: