Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What ships do you want?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are all in Booster 92.

Oops Embarassed

DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more Kzinti ships. The Kzinti Battle Frigate, Drone Dreadnought, New Scout Cruiser, and Heavy Cruiser would be cool. Thx.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the thing. Those four are all new ships. I can add them to the request list, but I cannot just sit down and do four ships for one empire and spin them into an ePack. At least not now, not until we find a way to do ePacks that you guys buy enough of them to be worth my time. If you guys show me that you'll buy 75 or so copies of Fed ePack 2 and then Klingon ePack 2 and then Romulan ePack 2, we'll talk. (Buy 150 and we'll talk a LOT.)

Outside of products, we don't do a lot of new FC ships at the current pace (20 a year). Any given empire getting four new ones in one year isn't likely, more likely one or two. There are three Kzintis in the file that could go into an epack, assuming we only do new ships in ePacks. I don't know. The old way didn't work and the new way hasn't even reached market.

The new way, if you dont know, is to look in the "new cards" file (cards done for CapLog and Communique) and see if a given empire has 6 unpublished ships and make them into an ePack. (I have done Fed 2, but Jean hasn't proofed them yet.) That way, the ePacks are zero work for me (well, I have to do the counters which isn't hard). If they produce sales, we'll see where to go.

Another option is to do ePacks of published cards but those don't sell that great. However, they are also zero work since the cards are already done.

Another option is a mix of three published and three new cards (well, cards in previous Caplogs or Communiques). We may try that.

Now, Fed pack 1 was six ships we had cards for and it didn't sell that great but was marketable. Klingon pack 1 was six new ships we had no published hard/laminated cards for and it sold swell. Klingon pack 1 sold much better.

The good news right now is that Jean has found a way I am willing to try so we are back to releasing a new card pack every month. Well, maybe we will be. We'll just play it by ear.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself.

I have no interest in epacks of existing stuff. I did, however, buy the kilngon pack with the all new cards, because they were new cards so it felt like I was getting something worth while for my money.

Not sure whether I would or wouldn't buy epacks of which are mixed existing and new. I'll buy hard booster packs with the duplicates because they are nice laminated cards and for many of the ships I'll want maybe 3 copies of them. If the existing ships in e-packs are only communique ships then I might go for them (they are ships I would have to print out anyway), if they are ships I already have 3 laminated cards of then I might not be so inclined.

For example there are a couple of epacks that I have't bought that have a single new ship (Lyran and Hydran as I remember) that I would like. I just don't feel that I can justify the price for 1 new ship when I have all the hard copies I need of all the other ships in those packs.

It's more a case of you needing to persuade me that the epacks are giving me something that I don't already have, and is worth the money. Obvioulsy I am not going to buy 75 copies though.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Wasn't meaning to imply I was asking for all 4 of them at once. Just hoping you would choose 1 of them for the next Kzinti ship you work on.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick one. I'll do it in April or May.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my suggestion list, but I'd love to see first ship on it (the Kzinti BFF) in FedCom.

Actually, all the BFFs would be great to see, someday (ships like the Jayhawk, Gorn BFF, etc.). They're a nice incremental step in point-value between a FF and DW and anything that uses points that would have just gone unused in a point-value pickup game is a good thing.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's already a couple of frigate, cruiser, and dreadnought hulls, so how 'bout the New Scout Cruiser?

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
The new way, if you dont know, is to look in the "new cards" file (cards done for CapLog and Communique) and see if a given empire has 6 unpublished ships and make them into an ePack. (I have done Fed 2, but Jean hasn't proofed them yet.) That way, the ePacks are zero work for me (well, I have to do the counters which isn't hard). If they produce sales, we'll see where to go.

Now, Fed pack 1 was six ships we had cards for and it didn't sell that great but was marketable. Klingon pack 1 was six new ships we had no published hard/laminated cards for and it sold swell. Klingon pack 1 sold much better.

The good news right now is that Jean has found a way I am willing to try so we are back to releasing a new card pack every month. Well, maybe we will be. We'll just play it by ear.

Yep, I thought Klingon Pack 1 provided a lot of value and I think this is the way to go. However, the success of this approach will in part depend on publicizing the fact that all of the cards being provided in these new e23 packs have never before been released in color. It might be helpful if the ships can be classified as now being "product" versions rather than "playtest" versions. Finally, it might also be helpful if it can be said the ships are now FC tournament legal unless otherwise explicitly prohibited by the FC tournament rules.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
I'd like to see more Kzinti ships. ... and Heavy Cruiser would be cool. Thx.

Quick note on this ship that I forgot to mention earlier. This ship has already been done in Briefing #2. (And the full-color ship packs based off of Briefing #2 that includes the Kzinti ships.)

Also, be aware that the Heavy Cruiser is purely a "Middle Years" design. The "upgraded Heavy Cruiser" is exactly the same as the "upgraded Strike Cruiser", which is the Battlecruiser.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx MJ. I missed it on the Briefing 2 list.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking another look at Module R9, and saw a couple of other ISC ships in there which might be interesting; the War Dreadnought and Medium Dreadnought.

Of the two, the War Dreadnought would be in the same "built at home" category that the "war" classes (such as the CW) would go under; though it's not confirmed in the R-section whether or not any DNWs were actually fielded historically. (It is suggested that two might have appeared in the wake of the Andromedan Invasion, but the records on this are unclear. In the absence of any conclusive evidence either way, the hulls are listed as unbuilt variants; which would be good enough for FC, since they were at least possible to build.)

The Medium Dreadnought, in contrast, would be a similar kind of "system" hull as the NDD; in this case, converted from a light dreadnought by an isolated cantonment far from ISC home territory. (Historically, one, per perhaps two, DNMs were converted out of DNLs.) While they would presumably serve at the core of battle formations alongside other "system" ships, the DNM would have the ability to operate at normal fleet speeds. (Since the base hull was a "fast" ship, the reduction in speed that resulted still left a hull that could fight at speed 30 in SFB terms.)

So, if there was ever room for a quartet of new ISC ships somewhere (say, in a futue Captain's Log), the "war" classes (DNW, HCW, CW, and DW) could count as a "home" group, while the "system" classes (DNM, NCA/NCS, NDD, and NFF) would serve as an "away" category.

At the very least, the "home" ships would not need any movement penalties, so would be viable for ISC players to use in campaigns; just as the Concordium itself did historically after 2590.

(And might, perhaps, be obliged to use much earlier in the Paravian timeline we'll soon see in SFB Module C6? If that module lays the groundwork for a future FC project, the ISC might get the chance to use those "war" classes much sooner.)
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of them before, but re-reading this thead I gather there are some andro mother ships that swap heavy weapons for larger hangars, Infestor, Imposer and other?

Any chance of seeing one or more of them, as the andro player in our campaign I'd like to see a different slant to an andro fleet, 2 motherships is fairly limiting at the moment with those available.

How much bigger are the hangars on those ships? I found some old SFB discussion that implied they are twice as large. An Intruder or Dominator that swappd TRHs for twice as many satelites would be an interesting variant.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two most common hangar variants are the Infestor and Missionary, which take out TR beams in order to add more hangar space (and a pair of special sensors). If I remember correctly, the Infestor doubles the intruder's hangar space, while the Missionary has three times the amount of space as the Conquistador.

Ships like the Imposer (and Exploiter) go the other way, taking out hangar space in order to add in more weapons. I don't recall the exact breakdown for either ship off-hand, though.

There is a set of four Dominator variants in Module R7, but I don't have their stats immediately to hand either, sorry.

(As an aside, the dissection beam variants in Module C3A usually reduce their base hulls' hangar bays in order to add in the new weapons. For example, the Conquistador-sized Extractor has no hangar space, splits the two FH TR beams into one LS and one RS on either side of the hull, and puts an FH DSB on the prow.)
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given I'm looking at multi ship games in a campaign the extra weapons and less hangar space isn't that useful. But the Intruder with less weapons and more hangar would be very nice, and the Dominator version even better!

So I vote to see one of those please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: