Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFB in the Triangulum Galaxy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: SFB in the Triangulum Galaxy Reply with quote

Hi.

A while back, a new setting for the Star Fleet Universe was previewed in SFB's Module E2: the Triangulum Galaxy.

-----

The history of M33 is shaped by the divide between realms young and old. Long before the modern era, much of Triangulum was ruled by a species known only as the Ancient Ones; their Old Empire was considered beneficial by some, but tyrannical by many others. Eventually, a second powerful group (known either as the Saviours or the Usurpers, depending on who you ask) assembled a coalition of Old Empire subject species and launched the Annihilation War; this traumatic event saw the collapse of the Ancient Ones' realm, as well as their (and the Saviours/Usurpers) later disappearance.

Meanwhile, the Helgard system, which had been the core of a ten-thousand-year-old empire in its home reality, was transplanted to a part of 'our' Triangulum far from the scene of the Annihilation War. The long-lived Helgardians searched fruitlessly for 300 years or so to try and find a way back; eventually, they decided to 'settle in' and begin the construction of their Protectorate anew.

In the intervening millennium between that time and the onset of the modern era, the survivors on both sides of the War (the members of the Imperium, who saw themselves as the heirs to the Old Empire's legacy; and the Frigian Kingdom, a key player in the rebellion) struggled to re-build their societies while squabbling over the remains of the Old Empire.

Eventually, a series of new species began to develop and emerge; the Helgardians saw this as an opportunity to 'guide' the newcomers towards a mutually beneficial future.

So, from 2400 to 2416, the "Warp Pacts" were signed; the Helgardians agreeing to offer older frigate-sized engines, in exchange for favourable trade deals. (One of the species who signed such a deal were humans; a pre-warp Terran colony caravan had been caught in a space anomaly in 2388, transplanted to M33 before even First Contact had been made.)

Needless to say, things didn't quite work out in the way the Helgardians might have envisioned...

-----

At present, there are four playtest empires in publication for M33; three of which are in Module E2 (with certain added ships and rules online), the fourth in Captain's Log #23.

*The first empire in E2 is the Helgardian Protectorate; the reality-shifted ones who went around signing Warp Pacts. The ship on the left in the cover art shown above is one of theirs.

They are a long-lived (but slow-breeding) species, who see themselves as the wise elder states-beings of the Triangulum Galaxy. Their ships use the fast-firing graviton beams in place of phasers, and the direct-fire particle shotgun as their primary heavy weapon. Notably, they have a limited rotary shield ability (kind of like a miniature version of the Juggernaut's rotating shield) to augment their standard shield defenses.

*Next up are one of the young realms, the Arachnid Worlds of Unions. The Arachnids (a species of half-inch-long translucent spiders, who take over the minds and bodies of various host life-forms) fled the destruction of their home star system by literally latching onto one of the species the Helgardians had signed a Warp Pact with.

Their ships have various types of pulse phasers as their primary armament, as well as plasma-like hellfire and hellblazer torpedoes that become more powerful (and/or faster) the more turns you arm them!

They also have special rules for boarding actions, to show how they can assimilate the crews of many other species; notably, the Helgardians are immune to infection, and are thus considered by the Arachnids to be devils incarnate.

*The third on the list is another young realm; one which went through a tragic upheaval in the run-up to their own Warp Pact. The Mallaran Empire had been peaceful until 2375, at which point the Great Plague left everyone on Mallara sterile. In order to try and find a cure, the Mallarans built an AI called Overmind... which promptly took over, went with cloning as a way to continue the species, planted a chip in everyone' mind so it could decide who would be re-born and who would die, then used the Helgardians' warp engines in order to ransack the gene pools of every alien species unfortunate enough to be caught in the expanding Empire's path.

The Mallarans and Arachnids are intense rivals, constantly clashing in the Khartax Free Zone (a hotly-contested region of space caught between the two powers) in direct contravention to what the Helgardians had intended.

Mallaran ships have proton pulse emitters in place of phasers, along with the powerful (yet short-ranged) plasmatron as their heavy direct-fire option, as well as the seeking Ram torpedo. Many of their ships act as hybrid carriers, with Viper fighters supporting their operations.

The ship on the right of the cover art is one of theirs.

*CL23 introduced the fourth major power to the setting; the Imperium. Self-designated heirs to the Old Empire, the Imperium is comprised of several species and governments, (nominally) united under the rule of the Imperator. Their ship designs are mostly uniform across each member realm, but often have very different crews aboard them.

In practice, the Imperium's naval assets are divided between the Imperial Fleet and the navies of the largest autonomous provinces; more than once has a province attempted to secede, sparking a damaging civil war in the process. Even at times of peace, the fleet is hamstrung at the highest levels by the institutionalised bureaucracy within the Imperial government; certain civilian and military posts are inherited from one generation to the next, often regardless of the merit involved.

Imperial ships have linear accelerators in place of phasers, as well as a turret-mounted direct-fire weapon called the hypermass autocannon (each of which having a number of firing chambers, depending on the class of ship involved). Many ships also have a medium mine rack, shown as an optional refit; used to make life difficult for opposing ships wishing to pursue an Imperial vessel.

-----

One day, I hope to see M33 more fully explored, the way Omega and the Lesser Magellanic Cloud have been. (Maybe even for FC, too; I guess the Imperium would have to do without their Medium Mine Rack refit in that game.)

In the meantime, does any of the above look like it might be of interest?

Last edited by Nerroth on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking this over on the BBS, but wanted to raise the question here; if there were to be a full Triangulum module in the future, how many empires would you want to see handled at a time?

Omega introduced 11 empires at a go when its first module came out, though it has been noted that this spread each of those empires too thinly. Notably, later modules which added new empires (rather than giving new units to many, as Omega 5 did with gunboats) have stuck with 4-6 at a go.

Similarly, C5 offers five Magellanic empires, with three in particular fleshed out for campaign use; but then, the Cloud only has so many powers to deal with, being an island galaxy.

Further, in the case of M33, is there a particular order or grouping you might go with, in terms of which empires to offer together?

For my part, I was thinking it might be an idea to split the empires shown on the Y118 map in Module E2 into three broad categories; 'central', 'western' and 'eastern'.

The 'central' group would run from Imperial space through the Khartax Free Zone and down into the Helgardian stronghold.

That would cover the 4 currently-published playtest empires (Arachnid, Mallaran, Helgardian, Imperium) as well as the likes of the Khartax Corsairs and other, smaller powers in the mix.

The 'western' group would run from the Star League to the Sunfire Khanate; covering both empires (or all three empires, if you count the Gorthang and Quegan Matriarchy, founders of the Star League, separately) as well as the Human Republic, the Demony Alliance, and a few others.

To the 'east', there'd be the Confederation (sub-divided into the Ussite Pack, the Loth Pack and the Order of the Ultimate Truth), the Frigian Kingdom, Tragg's Realm and the Atrean Directorate, alongside other minor realms.

There are a few powers on the Helgardian border which could go either way; the Azary could be 'central' or 'western' as required, similarly, the the Valorean Coalition could be 'central' or 'eastern'.

I'm not sure how much work has been put into the various empires on the map, aside from the 4 already put to print; but I'd suggest that going with things region by region might be a good way to get things organised.

Any thoughts?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this earlier, but wanted to note here: there's a Special Countersheet #1 available for SFB, and on it are (most of) the ships for the four current playtest empires! (The Mallaran DN and SC, posted online, aren't on there, so far as I can tell.)

Can't wait for my set to arrive...
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone here is interested in giving the SFU take on M33 a look, Module E2 just went live on e23!

(Since it's not a full published module, this errata file might be useful, as might a few of the M33-themed playtest items on ADB's site.)
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
I missed this earlier, but wanted to note here: there's a Special Countersheet #1 available for SFB, and on it are (most of) the ships for the four current playtest empires! (The Mallaran DN and SC, posted online, aren't on there, so far as I can tell.)

Can't wait for my set to arrive...

I want that! How do I get one?

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By clicking on the first link in that bit you just quoted!
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Khartax sounds like something that most Virginians hate. But please help me where are the SSD's and all the other rules for the 8th Air Force, the Pelladines and all these thing? I got the E2 and I picked up 2 counter sheets but I want to organize it and I would at least like to know where to find the matching stuff for it that wasn't in the module. Can you help?

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8th Air Force and Peladines are in Stellar Shadows Journal #1.

If I can get it to work, here is a link to it at the starfleetstore:

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=3601&Category_Code=SGH

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peladine have a more recent update in Module E4, with many more ship types added (that aren't on the special countersheet).
leathernsteel
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting this stuff, Nerroth!!!! I am a fan of star trek, I admit it, but SVC, Petrick, and other great men involved's take on it is just so much better than the hollywierd versions! Things like the Omega Octant and the Triangulum Galaxy absolutely fascinate me!
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got E2 on e23 and liked it quite well. Any plans to add on to this?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on the BBS a while back (before one of the more recent rounds of "spring cleaning"), Francois Angers posted in the Triangulum thread that a "version 2" file had been submitted to ADB for future consideration. That post is gone now, unfortunately.

I wasn't following the project at the time, but from what I've been able to gather, the "v2" file covers all four of the current playtest empires (Helgardian, Imperium, Arachnid, Mallaran) as well as four other powers (who I think are the Humans, Frigians, Atreans and Valoreans, though I might be mistaken on this part).

SPP recently had to deal with a serious computer crash, so I don't know if the file is still there waiting to be looked at, or has been lost. (If it were gone, I don't know if Francois would be in a position to re-submit it; he hasn't been active on the BBS for a few years, so far as I've seen.)

If you have any thoughts regarding M33, it might be an idea to post over in the BBS thread, since a lot more of the SFB side of the SFU happens over there.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I saw SVC make mention of SPP's computer crash, I'm very sorry to hear that and hope what was lost can be recovered. Computers can be great...or a great source or frustration.

I'm enjoying E2 and look forward to additions if/when they become available.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add; if you check one of the posts further up the thread, you can find links to the Mallaran Empire DN and FFS, as well as playtest rules for the Powered Battle Armour system.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that, thank you.

I'm liking the TG. Lots of different tactical situations with those weapon systems. Like learning the game all over again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: