Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

displacement device deactivation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwinfeds
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: displacement device deactivation Reply with quote

While reading a forum in what ships do you want, I saw a statement that Displacement devices can be deactivated allowing multi displacement equipped ships to fight in the same hex. Is this allowed in FC rules?
Also if the 2 ships with active displacement are either destroyed in the battle or voluntarily shut theirs off would 2 other ships be allowed to activate and use theirs?
In the full turn or sub turn phase if this is allowed would there be a time frame for this to occur from turn to turn or sub turn to sub turn?
thanks for your input on this, trying to see if I can make a campaign work playing Andromedans.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no FC rule that allows more than 2 ships with DisDevs that I'm aware of. I had a read through the Andro section to check this, and coudln't see anything.

I'm not sure it would make any great difference, with satelitte ships you can currently bring about 2000pts of Andros with 2 motherships, which is a fair size game. Unless you are having no limits to how many ships can be in any battle (and a large number of ships) then they are not going to be outpointed to much.

A force of all motherships, where only 2 can use DisDevs, isn't going to necessarily be any better than a mix of motherships and sats. The sateliite ships at least are fairly power efficient and can operate a bit better whilst not being shot at, which is a significant issue to overcome in larger battles. The large motherships tend to run out of power quite fast unless someone shoots at them, they slow down, or stop firing phasers. The Motherships also bring less firepower than the same points worth of satellites.

I did notice that whilst the blurb says the motherships transport the sats, there is no actual rule that I noticed that prevents sats being used without motherships. You could therefore have have extra satellite ships in a battle - multi motherships bringing the sats to the region over time, or at a safe distance to each other (and the sats then make there own way to the fight).

From a campaign perspective you can of course just give them strategic advantages to make up for their limits at the battle level. E.g. in our campiagn the Andros get better strategic movement rules with the motherships, even though the sats can't move at all at the strategic level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: