Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Drex Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: The Drex Files Reply with quote

This is very nice and the deep level of thinking behind the art is very surprising.
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2013/03/
bluebirds38
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to the "other" Drex...

(On-topic, Doug Drexler's art is quite good, and has shown up in a number of Franchise-related places.)
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a stupid question but who is the the 'other' drex?

I'm really impressed by the art but what really intrigues me is the technical knowledge behind the modeling. I had no idea of the depth of thought and planning that goes into the design of the starship models. It's a shame the SFU world--especially regarding weaponry--doesn't quite match up to the TV/Motion Picture world but I imagine this is a copyright issue.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drex are a star-nation of intelligent robots over in the Omega Octant, built by the walrus-like Drexari to do the running of a star-faring civilization for them. They are in SFB (where they are quite lethal), but haven't shown up in the FC Omega project as of yet.

Is there anything in particular about weapons in the SFU that you find wanting? (While things might be more limited in Alpha, there are a lot of options in Omega, the LMC, and elsewhere that help add to the overall diversity of the setting.)
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a shame the SFU world--especially regarding weaponry--doesn't quite match up to the TV/Motion Picture world

My apologies, I used a poor choice of words.
What I meant was that it's unfortunate that the weaponry as described on other sites related to the TV shows doesn't coincide with the weaponry as described in the SFU. It was not meant to be a value judgement. I like the SFU weaponry.

I was looking for an example but I have been through so many ST sites lately that I can't remember where I saw the descriptions of weapons.
I found this reference though, to 'phase canons' (phasers?) and aft torpedo tubes.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/nx-tech-briefs-01/
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SFU equivalent to the development of successive warp technologies is seen over in the Early Years, which (like Omega) is still mostly in SFB only.

The first Earth ships had impulse-powered non-tactical warp drives, which allowed them to go about nine parsecs a day, but required them to slow to sublight speeds in order to fight. Those kind of ships had primitive lasers and atomic missiles, as suggested in the TOS episode Balance of Terror.

Later on, the first tactical warp drives were built (in the Federation) by Earth, and those allowed ships to be equipped with the first "warp-class" weapons (phasers-2 and non-overloadable photons), as well as the first primitive transporters and suchlike. However, not every sublight ship class transferred well to the new technology; while the old Terran CL was a rugged enough design to handle the strain, the old Terran frigate could only adopt the first generation of tactical warp drives, and had to be retired in place of newer ship types when the time came for starship design technology to progress.

The next stage of development saw the first ships built from the keel up to incorporate tactical warp engines, which in the Federation saw the first saucer-and-nacelle hulls appear. (Unlike in ST: Enterprise, Earth didn't build any saucer-hulls as part of its own planetary navy; for the SFU Feds, saucers are a hallmark of the unified Star Fleet.) But these ships were still less advanced than the "modern" hulls you see in the Middle Years and General War for Federation Commander.

In terms of game play, the only one of those eras which isn't in SFB yet is the sublight (Q) era. The warp-refit (W), early warp (Y), and modern eras are all present and accounted for, but sublight battles haven't been given quite the same treatment as of yet. (Personally, I think it might be an area where the Squadron Strike 3D combat engine might be able to shine, since it has movement options that may not be viable for tactical warp combat but which could be introduced for a re-scaled sublight combat level. But parsec-ages may vary on that account.)
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. Very interesting.
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love playing the sublight game (First Romulan War) that was in my dad's old copy of SFB Designer's Edition when I was in my early teens. The whole concept of that war simply fascinated me. It's a shame that conflict hasn't ever been significantly fleshed-out (either in Star Trek canon or in the SFU), although I think there is a series of Enterprise novels that covers it that I should check out sometime. At one point, I started writing a roleplaying campaign for Prime Directive that dealt with that era, but I never finished it. Hopefully I'll feel inspired to pick it up again sometime soon.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those links are four years old, which is about a hundred in Internet years.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a spammer. I deleted the post.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: