Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My FC First Missions box art
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipboy101 wrote:
... I guess I deal with alot of 40k and Warmahordes players not use to the rules layout and the hex maps...

If that's the case, you may want to print out the components for the tabletop "hexless" rules variant and start them out with that. If they're already used to miniatures combat and making measurements for everything instead of counting hexes, then I would suggest you use that familiar territory to draw them into the game. The people I want to introduce this game to aren't miniatures gamers, so I didn't bother printing out the tabletop rules and components.
pipboy101
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some people they just can think on a hex map. I print out the template a long time ago when I started learning. But quick did I find out the hex system is much more precise and better for this type of game. After a couple of quick games most people get the hang of it.

One think I was thinking about making was a Fed Com for beginners. Not just the first mission but a bare bones, easy to understand instructions of the rules. I know with me it was the movement that made me beat my head into the wall starting out.

You can also find me on DAKKADAKKA.COM as Pipboy101. Soon to be posting battle reports for FC and SFM there.
Mr_Tricorder
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this particular game makes more sense on a hex map. I was suggesting the tabletop rules because it provides something comfortable and familiar when introducing FC to miniatures gamers instead of cold, rigid, and unforgiving hexes (at least that's how I think they might perceive it).

I like your idea of beginners rules. The rulebook is ok as is and does a good job of whetting your appetite for the full game in Klingon Border once you're hooked, but even in this stripped down form it's still too long to really draw in people who have no experience with ADB rulebooks or this type of game in general. I would love to see a super-streamlined easy introductory rules that would take up 4 pages max (one sheet of paper folded in half with rules printed on each side of each half). No SFU backstory; no examples (great rules don't need examples); no mention of full-game-only mechanics; just the bare minimum of what's absolutely necessary to draw fresh new players into the essence of the game.

I know what you mean about movement too. I used to play SFB when I was in my early teens (my dad had an old Designer's Edition box set), so reading over movement was more of a refresher for me, but it still took some effort to make sure I had my head wrapped around it properly.
pipboy101
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my breaks at work I will throw something together. Just a quick outline and the key points. Movement was the hardest for me so I will start there.

You can also find me on DAKKADAKKA.COM as Pipboy101. Soon to be posting battle reports for FC and SFM there.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if that helps. It was a old article done that never made it into print I believe but it covers the basics.

FC-Space Amoeba

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: