Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for a "Briefing #2A"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Ideas for a "Briefing #2A"? Reply with quote

Right now, Briefing #2 (plus Booster #91) provides a decent variety of "line ships" for an array of Alpha Octant empires, as they served in the Middle Years prior to the onset of the General War.

While there probably wouldn't be a lot of room for new Ship Cards in a supplementary file for that era (given the amount of time and effort FCB2 itself took up, which was much more than was expected beforehand), the question would be open as to what kind of ships could be added to the Middle Years era for FC, and whether or not a file covering that time period would have enough interesting additions to be worthwhile.

So, what I was thinking was something of a two-fold approach.

On the one hand, there are "mission variants" which would have been used in that time period as well as in the General War, some of which would (or one day might) be worth pursuing in FC terms.

Right now, we have a series of Main Era scouts done up as Ship Cards in various issues of Communique, but some of the smaller pre-refit scouts (the ones which would have served in conflicts like the Four Powers War) could be an option. Plus, if other mission variants were to be added to the Main Era (such as survey cruisers and commando ships, both of which might be handy once Federation Admiral is out), similar classes could be done for the Middle Years too.

But, on the other hand, a file with only MY mission variants might not necessarily work in and of itself. However, the impending release of SFB Module C6 will open the door for the conversion of the new Paravian and Carnivon rules to FC; which, in turn, might allow for their Middle Years fleets to be ported over, as well as their Main Era ones.

And as a further bonus, the kind of adjustments shown on Mapsheet P would pave the way for a proper set of Middle Years ships to be done for the Inter-Stellar Concordium also, since they would have an opportunity to not only make the jump to Tech Level 12 much earlier than they did historically, but have a new set of opposing ships to try and deal with.

So, between adding in MY fleets for the Paravians, Carnivons, and ISC, plus a set of "mssion variants" enabling each Middle Years empire to more fully embrace campaign play, might there be enough there to make a "Briefing #2A" file worth the effort someday?

(The emphasis being on "someday". Of course, the Main Era material for the C6 empires would need to be done first, and the question of whether or not to add mission variants like SRs and commando ships to the Main Era would also need to be answered beforehand. But, if both trains of thought lead somewhere, the result might bode well for an eventual return to the "tri-video era".)

EDIT: There are a few Middle Years Vudar ships that could go in this kind of file, too.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many ideas, and too little time.

I don't know where the next FC product will go, but probably not back to the MYs.

That said, sometime somebody might come up with a list of the six MY ships you want most and I might do them in a ePack.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I wasn't asking for this idea to be rushed out the door any time soon. If anything, this thread was intended to be a clearing house for Middle Years ideas, which could be picked through at whatever future time such an idea might be viable.

If it were viable at all, that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: