Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PD articles in Captain's LOg Question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: PD articles in Captain's LOg Question. Reply with quote

After an interlude, I've return to my PD RPG (GURPS system) and I was looking at the table of content of the Captain's log magazine and I've noticed that in 5 of them (CL 19, 33, 44, 45, 46) the were info about a 1 or 2 page info about a different race each.

My question being, before acquiring them, how informative are those 5 articles? And is there any other good/essential PD article I should be looking for?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime Directive
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Biographical and Special Function Tricorder: CL20
Prime Directive (1st Ed), First Contact Ribbon: CL19
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Klingon Awards: CL22
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Omega Prime: CL22
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Starship Crew Characters: CL21
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Technical Supported Skills: CL19
Prime Directive (1st Ed), The Yitlians: CL19
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Where are we going?: CL20
Prime Directive (1st Ed), Whither Prime Directive?: CL19
Prime Directive conversions you will never see, CL43
Prime Directive Federation: CL33, CL34
Prime Directive Tholians: CL33
Prime Directive Traveller: CL43
Prime Directive Universe, multi-system: CL31, CL32, CL35, CL36
Prime Directive, Alpha Centauri: CL39
Prime Directive, Planetary Survey, Arcturia: CL38
Prime Directive, Planetary Survey, Vulcan: CL37
Prime Directive, Star Fleet Marines Phaser-IIA: CL41
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL33

PRIME DIRECTIVE
FEDERATION
This is the whole article, just a preview of a new book.

The next project for Prime Directive is the book on the United Federation of Planets. John Sickels (who wrote the Romulan book) is leading the project, although Steve Cole is contributing major sections on the Federation military.
The book will, as the Klingon and Romulan books did, include history, planetary surveys, and a starship deck plan. The book will, however, differ from the other two because the core rulebook already includes a wealth of information about member races that need not be repeated.
The primary focus of John Sickels' work is on "exploration and colonization" since that is, after all, what the Federation is all about. Citizens can go colonize new planets as their spirit moves them, assuming they have the resoures. In the booming Federation economy, there is always a venture capital corporation willing to finance a new colony if there are hardy souls willing to work day and night to build a new world.

PRIME DIRECTIVE
THOLIANS

Preview of a new book: Tholian Biology
By Loren Knight
This is just one paragraph of a two-page article.

From the 2007 book: Prime Directive Tholians
The Tholian race is a most remarkable one and certainly one of the most bizarre. It isn't just that they are living crystal (or the extreme temperatures they live in) but also their method of locomotion; they float using a gravamagnetic counter-force organ that is, so far, totally unique in the known universe. Another unusual quality is that Tholians are asexual until they mate, at which time a couple will choose who will be the male and who will be the female for the next three years.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL34, just part of the article.
IV. CULTURE OF EARTH

Government: The United Earth Government is a parliamentary democracy. Earth is divided into 12 regional confederations. These are:
The United Americas (USA, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean islands).
The Latin American Alliance (the other nations of Central and South America).
The Eurasian Union (Western, Central, and parts of Eastern Europe).
The Federation of Independent States (Russia, portions of Eastern Europe, and Central Asia).
The Levant League (North Africa, Israel, Arab and Middle Eastern nations eastward through Iran).
The United States of Africa (nations south of the Sahara Desert).
The Central Asian Confederation (India, Pakistan, portions of Central Asia, Southeast Asia, Malaya, Singapore).
The East Asian Confederation (China, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia).
The Pacific-Asian Union (Japan, the Phillipines, Australia, New Zealand, the island nations of Micronesia)
Luna (including all of the various colonies, as well as space platforms in Lunar orbit).
The United Solar Territories (other planets of Sol excepting Mars, including all space stations and asteroid bases not directly controlled by the Federation government or Mars.)
United Earth Colonial Territories (Extra-solar Earth colonies which have yet to achieve independence and separate Federation membership. This is a tedious arrangement as by law, those colonies are also part of the Federation provinces in which they are established. Earth has
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking, why don't we gather up all of the PD stuff from all of the logs into one e23 book?
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I'm thinking, why don't we gather up all of the PD stuff from all of the logs into one e23 book?

That would be an awesome idea! I would definitively go for it...and I'm happy to see that there's stuff for the PD (1st ed)...which I'm assuming it's the Task Force RPG. Right?

Last edited by boneguard on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Because you could organize it and add a bunch more stuff, and print it as a 144-page supplement book? Of course, said book could go on e23, but some of us would want it in hard-copy.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

One think I forgot to add. It could be a good idea to take every issues (and the supplement) to check for PD articles...you list seems to be missing some issues (IIRC there's one in issue 12 too).

Sgt_G wrote:
Because you could organize it and add a bunch more stuff, and print it as a 144-page supplement book? Of course, said book could go on e23, but some of us would want it in hard-copy.

Considering most article varie from 1/2 a page to maybe 2 pages and that out of 47 issues there might be only about 30 PD articles; a print book might not be worth it.

Whereas a Captain's Log "PD articles compilation" at e23 (which could be update with the PD articles from future issues of Captain's log) would work better IMO.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, things have moved onward from where we were.

Anything before CL30 was PD1 and isn't relevant at this time. We may or may not gather up that stuff sometime.

We pulled everything relevant to RPGs out of 30-47 and it was about 160 p ages. Picking the most important we'll whittle it down to 144 pages including 2 (new) pages of publisher notes and two (stock) pages of product line advertising. The result is a $25 book, which probably will cost less on e23.

I'm dabbling on the formatting now, but it's not on my top five lists of things to do this week. maybe it will be on that list next week.
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty cool! I'm looking forward to read it.

It's a shame there's no stuff from PD1. I own it and love it (in addition to GURPS: PD). A quick search seems to indicate PD1 articles are limited to issues CL 10-27 (and SSJ #1) with a couple issues with no PD articles...I could always go and pick them up later on.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handful of the PD1 articles are already available on this corner of the ADB website, such as this PDF taken from CL22 looking at some of the species over in Omega. (There's a better version of the artwork in that file over here.)
boneguard
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
A handful of the PD1 articles are already available on this corner of the ADB website, such as this PDF taken from CL22 looking at some of the species over in Omega. (There's a better version of the artwork in that file over here.)

Yes I saw those and got them on my USB card too. And I'm assuming Prime files are PD articles too. Right?
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away Team Log is now up on e23! (And Jean does a happy dance!) While we are marketing this for roleplayers, it is a great compilation for anyone.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=ADB8010

Tales of the Away Teams

Away Team Log is a compilation of the RPG material published in 19 issues of Captain's Log, along with some of the fiction and other material that will be of interest to RPG players. Finally, roleplayers can get this material without having to buy over $400 worth of books.

Not a roleplayer? Not a problem! You'll find this book an enjoyable read! This book is entirely fiction and background; system specific stats are in separate supplements.

AWAY TEAM MISSIONS: A Call to Battle; For Duty, All Things; Duty, Honor, Empire; For the Good of the Empire.

GEOGRAPHY AND HISTORY: Planetary surveys, Organia, Mad Jack's Hole. Background files on the Gorns, Skoleans, Lyran Democratic Republic, Borak, and Kzintis.

PEOPLE AND ORGANIZATIONS: Klingon detectives, saga of a Klingon warrior, Inspector Kolmes, the mercenaries of Black Nebula, the Pirates of Orion, and zombies.

THOLIANS: A preview of a future sourcebook: deck plans, history, biology, military ranks, and their desperate journey to find (and conquer) a new galaxy.

FINAL DIRECTIVES: The phaser-Uzi, hot pursuit in starships, and Prime Directive conversions you won't ever see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: